2014 London HOT Congo Mapathon/Mapping instructions
Some basic instructions for the 2014 London HOT Congo Mapathon
Sign up on OpenStreetMap.org
- Go to OpenStreetMap.org
- Try searching 'Lubumbashi' ... 'GO'
- Click 'Sign up' in the top right
- Fill in the form. Choose your display name e.g. your real name
- Check your email, to activate your account.
- Google for 'JOSM'
- Download josm-tested.jar (or the MacOSX dwg file)
- Start it up
- 'cancel' the updates (nothing to update. It's new!)
- Open the JOSM 'Preferences' (There's a toolbar button)
On the left are various icons.
- You can change your language on the first icon under 'look & feel'.
- On the second icon are options for putting in your username & password (or authenticated with OAuth if you prefer)
Note: You can get started with JOSM without sorting out this connection, but when you come to upload edits, it will prompt you.
- 4th icon - plug - install 'building tools' - big help tracing buildings.
- 9th icon (looks like a TV remote) - tick box 'enable remote control' when you click on a link in Tasking manager it will now load the task square into JOSM - same with imagery.
Job: Basic building mapping
- Go to the Tasking Manager: tasks.hotosm.org
- On the list of jobs, find one called "RDC Lubumbashi / Kampemba HOT - MSF UK" ( http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/459 )
- Read the 'instructions' tab
- Click on a task
- Click the green button "Yes. I want to work on this task"
- Click on the "JOSM" button to download your task square
If you go back to JOSM now you should see a square of data downloaded.
job: Kongolo roads mapping
- Kongolo. Roads. MSF http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/515#
- Map the roads!
Job: Field papers
This one is a bit more complicated. We will do a demo.
Read more at Lubumbashi#HOT and MSF UK in Lubumbashi