2017 Iran-Iraq Earthquake
2017 Iran-Iraq Earthquake
A 7.3 magnitude earthquake struck the Kermanshah Province of Iran at 18:18 UTC on 12 November.
Almost 400 people have been killed and thousands more are reported to be injured.
Reports indicate that the town of Sarpol-e Zahab suffered most of the damage and estimates suggest that as many as 70,000 people may require aid.
For Aid Organizations
Map and Data Services
OpenStreetMap offers an online map (and spatial database) which is updated by the minute. Various tools and services allow data extracts for GIS specialists, Routable Garmin GPS data, Smartphone GPS navigation, and other device-compatible downloads. With an internet connection, regular syncing is possible with open access to the community contributed data as it comes in, with OpenStreetMap's bulk data downloads ideal for use offline. In addition, maps can also be printed to paper.
Browse the Activation Area to get a feel for the data that is currently available. Different map styles including an Humanitarian style can be selected on the right side, and some data may not render (appear) on the map, but could be exported from the underlying database (See export section below).
Exporting OpenStreetMap data
We are adding exports at https://export.hotosm.org - see the Project Table below for direct links to the individual area exports.
About This Disaster Mapping Project
- To learn more about the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT), explore more of our wiki-pages (root: HOT) or our website hotosm.org. We are a global community of mostly volunteers, we are also a US Nonprofit able to contract with organizations (email info at hotosm.org to contact our staff), we are also a 501-c-3 charitable organization.
History of this Activation
Reactivity of the OSM Community
- November 12th - HOT Activators become aware of the earthquake and perform a size-up; although initial reports suggested moderate causalities and economic loss; lack of buildings in OSM is identified and initial plan is to consider adding the impacted area to the Missing Maps effort.
- November 13th - HOT receives a request from UNOSAT to provide building footprints in the area impacted by the earthquake. After discussion HOT Activation Leads Blake Girardot and Russell Deffner decide to Activate HOT resources in order to fulfill the UNOSAT request.
The Activation Team is being led by Blake Girardot and Russell Deffner
- HOT Coordinator(s) requesting remote mapping assistance for estimated 2 week mapping response (November 13 - Ongoing)
How You Can Contribute
Learn to Map
- Most of our volunteer needs are for remote OSM contributors, visit LearnOSM.org to get started.
- Please choose from highest priority first
- Experienced mappers are also asked to participate in validating completed tasks. Information on validating can be found here
|Project No.||Priority||Location||What to map||Imagery Source||Task Mapping Status||Task Validation Status||Export Link|
|Project 3852||Urgent||Sarpol Zahab - Imagery update||Buildings||Bing||In Progress (100%)||In Progress (97%)||TBD|
|Project 3846||High||Marivan||Buildings||Bing||In Progress (36%)||In Progress (1%)||TBD|
|Project 3845||High||Halabja||Buildings||Bing||In Progress (86%)||In Progress (85%)||Data Export|
|Project 3848||Done||Darbandikhan||Buildings||Bing||Complete (100%)||Complete (100%)||Data Export|
|Project 3837||Done||Ghasre-e-Shirin||Buildings||Bing||Complete (100%)||Complete (100%)||Data Export|
|Project 3833||Done||Sarpol Zahab||Buildings||Bing||Complete (100%)||Complete (100%)||Data Export|
OSM Default Imagery Sources
Bing provides a global imagery data source that is the 'default' Imagery available for OSM (default option in most editors). All other default sources are either equivalent or older than Bing in the area of interest; please use Bing in these projects unless specified otherwise in the instructions.
- Add your event here...