API usage policy
The editing API is provided in order to edit the map data, not for read-only purposes or projects. Clients may be blocked without notice if they are affecting the service level for others or causing data corruption.
Large or frequent data users must use the download service "planet.osm" other alternatives described below.
- Clearly display licence attribution as required.
- Do not actively or passively encourage copyright infringement.
Technical Usage Requirements
- Valid User-Agent identifying application and version. Faking another app's User-Agent WILL get you blocked.
- If known, a valid HTTP Referer.
- Maximum of 2 download threads.
We request that you
- set up your own data server, usually with planet.osm and Osmosis: or
- use another provider. See list below.
All of the tools and software needed to create a complete mirror of OpenStreetMap and/or its API are available as open source software and can be found in OpenStreetMap's source repositories at git.openstreetmap.org and svn.openstreetmap.org with an explanation of how to set it up in the wiki. Additional useful tools and API's can be found there too.
Changes to this policy
This policy may change at any time subject to the needs and constraints of the project. Commercial services, or those that seek donations, should be especially aware that access may be withdrawn at any point: you may no longer be able to serve your paying customers if access is withdrawn.
Alternative OpenStreetMap Data Providers
- planet.osm (and many 3rd party mirrors) - This bulk data download service offers the entire planet of vector data, as well as diffs for syncing on a minutely basis. Smaller "extract" downloads are available by geographical area.
- Xapi and Overpass API - These are APIs provided for read only purposes. They are part of the OpenStreetMap ecosystem, but not as "core" as the main editing API covered by this policy. They are however subject to limitations and policies of their own. Note that the servers which run these APIs would be using the same planet.osm diffs to stay in sync.
- See List of Companies offering OpenStreetMap Services / Support / Consulting