How to recognize and tag Moderate sized Universities on OSM
The Following document is submitted by Abhilasha Singh, IIT BHU as a small contribution task for the project ‘Creating 3 short OSM/HOT Moodle courses’ put up for OUTREACHY’15 (May-August)
Task Option 1: Choosing a HOT feature, recognizing and tagging it.
Feature Selected: University Campus
OSM Tool Used: JOSM editor
Moderate sized universities in Indian Subcontinent
Apart from few large universities, there are many Moderate sized universities in India. This document is aim towards recognizing these universities using aerial view maps and tagging them on OSM.
The satellite image below shows a typical average sized university campus in central india.
Figure 1: Typical university campus having multiple hostel, sport fields, academic buildings and abundant green cover.
Figure 2: Zoomed out view of university campus reasonably crowded part of the city.
Figure 3: A zoomed in view of the same university area.
Figure 4: Inside view of typical moderate size university
How to Recognize and Tag an average sized university Campus(Feature)
We can see following basic features prominently distinguish a university campus:
1. The key features being the hostel (Key = Building, Value=Residential), a few multipurpose grass less field (Key=leisure, Value= Playground) and a soccer field (Key=Spots, Value=soccer).
2. The hostel is generally located in a secluded area and is a big symmetrical building to accommodate large number of students and often near to fields.
3. Typical academic building inside a university campus. The academic building is the main component of the university and is easily accessible and is well connected to roads( Key=Highway. Value=road).
4. Usually campuses have good green cover as compare to surrounding area.
5. Usually campus sports fields are multipurpose and are not grass topped.
6. Campuses have some small buildings which could be possibly mess or guest/residential quarters.
Figure 5: Typical academic building inside a university campus. The academic building is the main component of the university and is easily accessible and is well connected to roads. (Highway=road)
Figure 6: A possible university campus in other part of the India situated in relatively less populated area outlined with yellow markers.
Figure 7: A Zoomed in view of the above .The key features being two playgrounds, one possibly being a cricket field. A symmetric building which appears to be connected to road by unpaved road likely to be a residential building (hostel). Another large building in the center well connected to road appears to be a main academic building. Again auxiliary buildings could possibly be mess or residential quarters. (Building=Residential; sports=cricket; leisure=track)
Figure 8: A zoomed out view of another university possibly situated in amid industrial area. The same basic features can again be seen in this case.
Figure 9: A closer view of symmetric building structures possibly a residential building surrounded by greenery cover having a ground in close vicinity.(Building=Residential;sports=*)