| Abingdon, Oxfordshire|
|latitude: 51.6775, longitude: -1.28|
|Browse map of Abingdon 51°40′39.00″ N, 1°16′48.00″ W|
|Use this template for your city|
Abingdon is a town in Oxfordshire at latitude 51°40′39.00″ North, longitude 1°16′48.00″ West.
The market town of Abingdon lies 8 miles to the South of Oxford in the county of Oxfordshire, centred North of where the River Ock joins the River Thames. It is easily accessible by bus, road or train from Oxford, and there are good cycle links to the city. Abingdon has a population of 36,000, according to Wikipedia.
OpenStreetMap coverage of this town is being improved. Some of the major roads and many residential areas to the North and East within the ring road have been mapped and named, and the recent mapping party should leave only the East side of the town to do for names and vehicle/car use.
Abingdon suffers from being just outside the Oxford zone of good Yahoo! imagery coverage.
Late 2008 Micro Mapping Party
There was a mapping party on the 25th Oct 2008, documented separately here: /Mapping Party Late 2008.
Let's use the cake diagram we made during this to build a coverage table to guide future mapping. I've uploaded it so we can build stuff around it; see below for emerging details --achadwick 21:52, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
Slices and coverage status
So we have something concrete to work from, I've appropriated the foul pink highlighter master cake diagrams we scribbled up during the Oct 2008 party as a guide
- Pretty much consider the street naming, car suitability, and fuel complete in all areas apart from Dalton Barracks
- I think all of the public institutions are done. All schools added, All places of worship added, District council, guildhall, county hall added, hospital added, open spaces, abbey meadows,sports areas, moorings, play areas, community venues
|Community||Slice #/ Description||Status||Remarks||Mapped/checked by|
|Abingdon||1. Central + Ock St. to R. Ock|| Other tourist stuff besides the museum?
Bridge Street detail has been missed: Footpaths by river near the bridge. User:greenius 16 November 2008
|Mapped:User:Achadwick (based on earlier)|
|Abingdon||2. Caldecott, towards Culham|
|Abingdon||3. Business park, cemeteries, Willow Brook devel, Albert Park|| Willow Brook isn't fully built yet. Park area is almost pretty enough to be a tourist trap maybe.
Tesco area: largely complete - need to add recycling point and a couple of pathways, and check whether one of the parking aisles reaches the service road. Could also add the cafe. Would be nice to get a better GPS trace of the service road which goes left on the way into Tesco.
Business park: Could add further side roads off the two private roads in the business park (some of these even have names). Would also like to check the service road going east from Nuffield Way.
The roundabout between Tesco and the business park has a couple of link roads which are not yet on the map, I think.
All roads and road names checked.
Need to check for cycle lanes, etc along Marcham Road. Are there any other "restaurants" in this area?
| Mapped:User:Achadwick (added to existing)
Checked:User:Duncanparkes (with a few additions)
|Abingdon||4. Residential triangle, Longmead etc.||Pub is only restaurant? Footways that link stuff, stubbed in places.||Mapped:User:Achadwick (started)|
|Shippon||5. Whole village, minus the barracks||Mostly done here.||Mapped:User:Achadwick (based on others' work)|
|Dalton Barracks||6. Married quarters etc.||Obviously somewhat difficult to map without permission.|
|Abingdon||7. Oddly shaped slice between R. Stert & Wootton Road|| Grassy areas to be filled in.
Zebra crossing near St. Nicolas School.
Unsure where John Mason Road and Bowyer Road boundary is.
Missing bus stops along Oxford road. Also check on Thames Travel white buses which used to have a few stops along Darrell Way, but not sure they are still running.
Check cycle paths... there are also informal cycle routes which are probably legally only footpaths.
Add annoying metal barriers along footpaths (what is the category for them?)
Sort out footpaths around Borough Walk / Darrell Way.
Check name of road at end of St. Mary's Green which I think is really part of Borough Walk.
Verify footpaths from Nunenham Square
Footpaths off Farm Road to be tracked.
Speed bumps on Northcourt Road. Traffic lights at Wootton Road end of Northcourt Road.
|Mapped:User:greenius (added to earlier work)|
|Abingdon||8. Residential slice centred on Holland Road, South Ave.|| Footpaths in North of area to be mapped where it connects to Long Furlong. There is a missing school, playground, scout hut, football pitch and several footpaths.
Appleford drive area needs street names checking again in the inner area. Also check for any connecting footpaths. Some green areas to be filled in.
Shelley Road/Close/drive? to be named. Budgens/Newsagent/car park to be added properly (including post box). Traffic lights at Oxford Road end of Northcourt Road. Speed bumps on Northcourt Road.
|Mapped:User:greenius (added to earlier work)|
|Abingdon||9. Northernmost residential slice inc. Long Furlong|
|Abingdon||10. Most Easterly residential lobe; Eason Drive and Peachcroft Road|
|Abingdon||11. Central-East residential bit N of Radley Road|| Checked the roads and streetnames in the area east of Oxford Road and west of St Peter's Road - User:Duncanparkes at the Abingdon Micro-mapping party.
I didn't notice any petrol stations, restaurants, or tourist attractions.
|Abingdon||12. Abbey grounds, Daisy Bank and White Horse Leisure Centre|| Incomplete and rather complex, particularly around the Cozener's House bit. Abbey grounds, theatre and other attractions need adding at W end, along with sorting out many footpaths. Revisit and update needed - 1h was not long enough to get anything worthwhile done :( --achadwick 17:23, 1 November 2008 (UTC)
Something is wrong with either the tow-path or the river between the Lock and the bridge at Nags Head Island, as it does not in reality cross the river! User:greenius 16 November 2008
New development work between Waitrose and Abbey Grounds including new footbridge, lake in Abbey Grounds, etc is missing. User:greenius 16 November 2008
|Mapped:User:Achadwick (based on others' work)|
Colour and symbol legend
The status of each map region is indicated by a symbol, which describes the type of feature, and a colour, which indicates the completeness of that feature in a map region.
The status is displayed using a template Template:State
- progress - 1/2/3/4/NA
Meaning of symbols
- - Roads for car traffic are present. One way streets and pedestrian streets are present. This means that the map can be used for car navigation - Key: c
- - Street names are labelled. This means that the map can be used to find an address - Key: l
- - All housenumbers are present - Key: h
- - All cycleways, and field and forest roads suitable for bicycles are present - Key: b
- - All footways are present - Key: fo
- - All wheelchair access is present - Key: d
- - All public transports are present (including name of the bus stop/station names) - Key: tr
- - All stop/station/harbour names are present - Key: ha
- - All bus lines are present (including name of the bus stop names) - Key: bu
- - All trolley/guided bus lines are present (including name of the station names) - Key: ty
- - All tram lines are present (including name of the tram station names) - Key: tm
- - All U-Bahn (subway in Germany) lines are present (including name of the station names) - Key: u
- - All S-Bahn (regional commuter train in Germany) lines are present (including name of the station names) - Key: s
- - All fast railway lines transports are present (including name of the train station names) - Key: tm
- - All steam railway lines transports are present (including name of the train station names) - Key: st
- - All ship lines are present (including name of the harbour station names) - Key: sh
- - All public institutions are present (Churches, sports facilities, venues, schools, hospitals, city hall) - Key: p
- - All petrol stations are present - Key: fu
- - All restaurants and hotels are present - Key: r
- - All tourist attractions are present - Key: t
- - All natural resources are mapped (e.g Water, Lakes and Woodland) - Key: n