Bus routes in Cambridgeshire
This page is to aid in, and document, the progress of relationing bus routes in Cambridgeshire. This project's sister is Bus routes in northeast Hertfordshire but it is, at the time of writing, far less developed than this project.
How one can help
One can help this mini-project in a number of different ways:
- the most obvious one is if you take a bus route which hasn't been relationed, use a GPS or GPS-capable device to record the route the bus takes. In some areas, it may be necessary to record a 'trace' for each direction.
- add bus routes which aren't in the table below; the wikitable syntax should be obvious but, if it isn't, copy a 'row' from another bus route and change the appropriate details.
- add relation information to bus routes which are already in the table but appear as if noöne has relationed that route.
- update progress of a particular route's relationing.
- make changes on a relation level to bus routes, correcting mistakes or inaccuracies.
A few things worth mentioning
Some bus routes listed in the large table below may travel into neighbouring counties. If you're wondering whether or not a route should be in the table below, the general rule is that “if a bus route stops inside the boundary of Cambridgeshire, it should be in the table”. Some routes in the table below may refer you to similar projects (e.g. Bus routes in northeast Hertfordshire): bus routes that stop primarily in neighbouring counties should be listed in the table below, but progress information on said route should be updated on the neighbouring county's project page.
The term “route structure complete”
The term “route structure complete” basically means that the route of a particular service has been relationed in its entirety. Since bus stops themselves can be added to a route's relation, the ideal is that a particular bus route would have a relation on OpenStreetMap containing…
- the route the service takes, in both directions
- all stops along the route with, as their role, the terminus that would be reached from that bus stop
- tags detailing things such as days of operation (days=*) and the operator of the service (operator=*)
…but this is an ideal. A client would not have to look for nearby highways in order to figure out which services call at a particular bus stop and, in any case, not every service calls at every bus stop it passes; setting a terminus as a role might be difficult on routes with various termini and, in this case, it's best to leave the role for the bus stop blank.
When a service is withdrawn
If a bus route is ‘withdrawn from service’ for whatever reason, apply one of the following two policies:
- if the bus route was only partially relationed, remove the relation from the database. To delete a relation in the Java editor JOSM, download the relation from the database (File → Download object), open the Relation panel by pressing the ‘cog in a box’ icon (or press Alt-Shift-R), select the relation in the panel on the right-hand side of JOSM, then press the Delete button.
- if the bus route was at a stage of “route structure complete”-dness, the relation should remain on the database but its tags should be changed to reflect the fact that the service no longer runs. route=bus should be changed to route=disused_bus and inserting a note:disused_bus=* tag would give contributors and clients information about when the service was withdrawn.
Table of routes
The colour of the far-left table is related to recent threats of cuts to services from Cambridgeshire County Council. If a bus route is without colour in this column, the bus route is not under threat from truncation or complete withdrawal; yellow means that the bus route might be truncated, while maroon means that the route might be withdrawn entirely. Routes already withdrawn from service—though these withdrawals might not be to do with the Winter 2011 threats of closure—are coloured medium grey.
|||Route||Operator||Route description||Notes||Extent of relationing||Relation ID|
|Citi 1||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Kings Hedges - Arbury - Round Church Corner - city centre - Cambridge station - Addenbrooke's - Cherry Hinton - Fulbourn||Route structure complete|
|Citi 2||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Milton - Chesterton - c/c - Mill Road - Addenbrooke's Hospital||Route structure complete|
|Citi 3||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cherry Hinton - railway station - c/c - Newmarket Road - Whitehill Estate - Fison Road||Route structure complete|
|Citi 4||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Orchard Park - Cambridge c/c - West Cambridge - Cambourne||Route structure complete|
|Citi 5||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge c/c - Girton Corner - Bar Hill||Circular route||Route structure complete|
|Citi 6||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge c/c - Girton Corner - Oakington||Circular route||Route structure complete|
|Citi 7||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge - Addenbrooke's - Trumpington - Stapleford - Sawston (- beyond Sawston)||Main route from Cambridge to Sawston complete. Some stretches south and southwest of Sawston are also relation'd; Cambridge city centre loop needs to be relation'd.|
|Citi 8||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cottenham - Impington - Cambridge - Addenbrooke's||Route relation believed to be complete but needs to be checked by bus or by looking carefully at timetables. Citi 8 follows old Citi 7 route: north from Addenbrooke's Hospital, into Cambridge city centre, out via Mitcham's Corner, up to Impington then Histon, then doing a loop in Cottenham before returning to Addenbrooke's.|
|1||Whippet Coaches||Cambridge - Cambourne - Fenstanton - St. Ives|
|1A||Whippet Coaches||Cambridge - St. Ives - Huntingdon||There is another 1A service, also run by Whippet Coaches, that runs on Sundays only between Huntingdon and Peterborough.||Has barely been mapped out of Cambridge c/c|
|1B||Whippet Coaches||Cambridge - St Ives - Huntingdon|
|5||Whippet Coaches||Cambridge - Lolworth - St Ives - Huntingdon||A stretch along the A14 has been relation'd.|
|7||Whippet Coaches||Huntingdon - Godmanchester|
|8||Whippet Coaches||Cambridge - Dry Drayton - Lolworth - Papworth Everard||Barely mapped in Cambridge; a stretch along the A14 has been relation'd. Also: Coton loop and into Madingley.|
|9||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Some services run only between Cambridge and Ely||Relation'd down Milton Rd: between Mitcham's Corner and the A10/A14 roundabout; also from Ely to the hospital north of Ely.|
|10||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge - Bottisham - Burwell - Newmarket||Relation'd between Studland's Park and Ditton Lane, Cambridge—including the Burwell one-way loop. Still to do: (1) the route into Cambridge and (2) the route into Newmarket town.|
|10A||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge - Bottisham - Newmarket|
|11||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge - Newmarket - Bury St Edmunds||Relation'd into and out of Newmarket, but not the mess in the town centre; also relation'd between Newmarket and Ditton Lane, Cambridge.|
|12||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge - Newmarket - Ely||Relation'd between Ely c/c and Ditton Lane, Cambridge.|
|Service withdrawn in April 2011||N/A||N/A|
|13||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge - Haverhill||Cambridge c/c to Little Abington; also, into Haverhill and the Haverhill's eastern loop.|
|13A||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge - Linton - Haverhill||Bits and pieces both out of Cambridge, and into and around Haverhill|
|13B||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Haverhill - Cambridge||One bus a weekday, in the Haverhill-Cambridge (northwestwards) direction only.|
|14||Whippet Coaches||St. Andrews Street - Murkett's Corner - Arbury||Circular route between Cambridge c/c and Arbury/Kings Hedges||Relation'd between c/c and south end of Carlton Way (sans Emmanuel Road/Street section)|
|14||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge - Coton - Dry Drayton - Hardwick - Highfields - Childerley||Operates at "peak times only".||Route structure complete|
|Service withdrawn 4th April 2010||N/A||N/A|
|Service withdrawn in April 2011||N/A||N/A|
|15||C G Myall & Son||Haslingfield - Bassingbourn - Royston||Two parliamentary services each Wednesday||Relation'd up and out of Royston (but not 'round the Priory Road gyratory), and in parts of rural southwest and westsouthwest Cambs.|
|16||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Chesterton - Cambridge c/c - Teversham - Fulbourn - Balsham - Haverhill||A large section complete between the Grafton Centre and Fulbourn, via Ch'inton and Teversham; relation'd between the outskirts of Haverhill and Fleam Dyke, Fulbourn.|
|16||Whippet Coaches||Huntingdon - Oxmoor||Circular service; runs Monday to Friday|
|16A||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge - Teversham - Fulbourn - Balsham - Great Thurlow||Only a small few sections in Cambridge relation'd|
|17||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Chesterton - Cambridge c/c - Teversham - Fulbourn - Newmarket|
|18||Stagecoach in the Fens||Caxton - Cambourne - Comberton - Cambridge||Between Fen Causeway, Cambridge and the centre of Toft.|
|18A||Stagecoach in the Fens||Gamlingay - Comberton - Cambridge||One service a day in each direction: one morning (Cambridge-bound) and one afternoon (countryside-bound).||Relation'd between the M11/A603 junction and Toft. Also relation'd a bit near the A1198/A603 roundabout.|
|21||Stagecoach in the Fens||St Ives - Needingworth - Bluntisham - Colne - Somersham - Chatteris||A section has been relation'd in eastern St Ives.|
|21||Whippet Coaches||St Ives - Earith - Somersham - Ramsey / Chatteris|
|22||Whippet Coaches||Ramsey - Warboys - Woodhurst/Somersham - St Ives||Most 22 services serve Somersham, instead of Woodhurst.||Relationing has begun on the route via Woodhurst and Oldhurst; the route via Somersham is yet to begin the process.|
|26||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge - Foxton - Melbourn - Royston||A single southbound bus (pm peak) diverts via Hills Road XIth Form, instead of Trumpington Rd||Route structure complete|
|27||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge - Harston - Barrington - Bassingbourn - the Mordens||One service towards Cambridge (am peak); one westbound service (pm peak).||Route structure complete|
|28||Whippet Coaches||St Neots - Gamlingay - Cambourne - Papworth|
|30||Stagecoach in the Fens||Huntingdon - Warboys - Wistow - Ramsey||Relation'd a tiny bit through Oldhurst.|
|31||Meridian Line Travel||Cambridge - Fowlmere - Barley||Branded as Village Link||Route structure complete|
|31||Stagecoach in Peterborough||Peterborough - Ramsey - Whittlesey|
|35||Stagecoach in the Fens Ltd||Huntingdon - Warboys - Chatteris - March||Runs Monday-Saturday, "peak times only"||Relation'd a bit through Oldhurst.|
|36||Stagecoach in Peterborough||Peterborough - Thorney - Wisbech|
|43||Richmond's Coaches||Royston - Heydon - Chrishall||A few buses each day, Monday to Saturday||See Bus routes in NE Herts for route progress|
|45||Stagecoach in the Fens Ltd||Huntingdon - Houghton - Wyton - St Ives||Runs weekdays, at peak times only|
|46||Freedom Travel Coaches||Newmarket - Dullingham - Street End|
|47||Freedom Travel Coaches||Newmarket - Dullingham|
|55||Stagecoach in the Fens Ltd||Cambridge - St. Ives - Huntingdon||The flagship Cambridge-Huntingdon route. Route may change when guided busway opens; could (perhaps) be replaced by route B.||Barely mapped within Cambridge city centre, but mapped between A14 (ex. slips) and the Folk Museum crossroads. Also mapped through and out of St Ives.|
|59||Clavering - Audley End - Walden - Haverhill||Route is in Suffolk and Essex, but is included in this project's remit||Has been relation'd a tiny bit in Haverhill; close to no progress|
|65||Stagecoach in the Fens Ltd||Huntingdon - Buckden - Great Paxton - St Neots||Related to the 66; the 65 and 66 share a route out of Huntingdon and into St. Neots, but serve different villages in between.|
|66||Stagecoach in the Fens Ltd||Huntingdon - Buckden - Southoe - St Neots||Related to the 65; the 65 and 66 share a route out of Huntingdon and into St Neots, but serve different villages in between.|
|75||Whippet Coaches||Cambridge - Haslingfield - Orwell - (Tadlow - Wrestlingworth)||Very few buses run to Wrestlingworth||Relation'd out of Cambridge, but not up to Drummer Street bus station. Route is in patches along the rest of itself.|
|77||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Newmarket Rd P&R - Grafton Centre - c/c - Madingley Rd P&R||Cambridge Park & Ride, operating the red P&R buses||Route structure complete|
|88||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Trumpington P&R - c/c - Grafton Centre - Trumpington P&R||Cambridge Park & Ride service. Blue P&R buses; circular service, where buses from the Grafton go direct to Trumpington P&R.||Route structure complete|
|College (Hills Road and Long Road joint) service||Not to be relation'd||(college service)|
|College (Hills Road and Long Road joint) service||Not to be relation'd||(college service)|
|99||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Between Babraham Rd and Milton sites||Cambridge Park & Ride; uses green P&R buses||Very almost complete; just need to get the route through the Milton P&R site itself, and then we're done.|
|101||C G Myall & Son||Whittlesford - Duxford - Saffron Walden||Runs Tuesdays only; parliamentary service.||Route structure complete|
|114||Whippet Coaches and Freedom Travel||Addenbrookes - Beehive Centre - Grafton Centre - Cambridge||Beehive, between the Beehive and Glebe Road, and a bit in town.|
|117||A & P Coaches||Ely - Soham - Upware||Runs Thursdays only|
|127||Charter Travel||Royston - Bassingbourn - Litlington - The Mordens||Relation'd between Bassingbourn-cum-Kneesworth and Guilden Morden|
|128||Charter Travel||Royston - Shepreth - Meldreth - Melbourn||Partially-circular route; think of two elaborate loops with an artery. One bus a day in each direction, Monday to Saturday.||Route structure complete|
|129||Freedom Travel||Ely - Prickwillow - Black Horse Drove||Runs Thursdays only||From northern terminus (Black Horse Drove) into Littleport; stops have been relation'd with destination roles but the half-moon shape of the Littleport loop has not been relation'd. Also down the A1101/Mildenhall Road as far as the White House Road stops.|
|132||C G Myall & Son||Cambridge - Duxford - Saffron Walden||Sunday service only||Mapped between Cambridge c/c, and the Hills/Long/Queen Ediths junction|
|139||Stagecoach in the Fens||Foxton - Great Shelford - Sawston - Royston||Operates one bus each way, Wednesday only; parliamentary service.||The 139 operates a confusing and infrequent route. Partially relation'd at one point in time but relation rm'd by original author.||—|
|196||Whippet Coaches Ltd||Cambridge - Fen Ditton - Waterbeach||Handful of services, weekdays only|
|199||Meridian Line Travel||Cambridge c/c - Newnham||Runs Tuesdays and Fridays only||Route structure complete|
|334||Richmond's Coaches||Cambridge - Elmdon - Buntingford - Puckeridge & Standon||Runs Friday only; one bus in each directions. So obviously a parliamentary service.||See Bus routes in NE Herts for route progress|
|341||ABC Cab Company||Haverhill - Great Bradley - Wickhambrook||Falls within the county of Suffolk, but is covered under Cambridgeshire's project remit||Awuga: bus route has been changed by the operator since relationing began, albeit it was a two-stop relation|
|344||Burtons Coaches||Haverhill - Stradishall - Bury St Edmunds||Falls within Suffolk and w/n, but is covered under this project, just to make things complicated.||Awuga: bus route has been changed by operator since relationing began, albeit it was a single-stop relation|
|401||Stagecoach in the Fens||Grafham - Huntingdon|
|431||Stagecoach in the Fens||Great Raveley - St Ives||Operates only on Mondays, with a single bus each way|
|903||Burtons Coaches||Newmarket - Dullingham/Stetchworth||Loopular service||Route structure complete|
|A||Stagecoach in the Fens Ltd||Trumpington Park & Ride - Addenbrooke's Hospital||Route structure complete|
|A||Stagecoach in Cambridgeshire or Stagecoach in the Fens||Cambridge - Science Park (busway) - St. Ives P&R - St. Ives||Route structure complete|
|B||Stagecoach in Cambridge / Stagecoach in the Fens Ltd||Cambridge - Orchard Park||Currently operational as a limited-service express route, running run non-stop between Cambridge c/c and Orchard Park. Relation to be removed once busway is up and running.||Relation'd: the three stops, as indicated in the timetable.|
|B||Stagecoach in Cambridgeshire or Stagecoach in the Fens||Cambridge - Orchard Park East - St. Ives P&R - St Ives - Huntingdon||Relation'd between the Longstanton-CGB crossing and the Hartford outskirt-roundabout.|
|C||Whippet Coaches||Cambridge - Orchard Park (busway stops) - St. Ives P&R - Somersham||Relation'd between Somersham (inc. Somersham loop) and the Longstanton-CGB crossing.|
|C2||Safford Coaches||St. Neots - Longstowe - Orwell - Arrington - Croydon - The Hatleys||Runs Thursdays only|
|Service withdrawn in April 2011||N/A||N/A|
|E1||Meridian Line Travel||Gamlingay - Potton - Sutton - Biggleswade|
|E3||Meridian Line Travel||Potton - Everton - Sandy|
|R||Stagecoach in the Fens||Babraham Road P&R - railway station via the busway||Route structure complete|
|U||Whippet Coaches||Madingley Road P&R - West Cambridge site - Silver Street - the Botanic Garden - railway station - Addenbrooke's||Route structure complete|
|Uni 4||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Madingley Road P&R - West Cambridge site - Silver Street - the Botanic Garden - Addenbrooke's||Replaced by Whippet U in July 2016|
|WHF||W H Fowler & Sons||Wisbech - Gorefield - Holbeach Drove||Operates Monday to Saturday|
|X1||First Eastern Counties||Lowestoft - Norwich - Kings Lynn - Wisbech - Peterborough|
|X4||Stagecoach East||Peterborough - Kettering - Milton Keynes|
|X5||Stagecoach East||Between Cambridge and Oxford, via St Neots, Eaton Socon, Bedford, Milton Keynes, Buckingham and Bicester||Express coach service. A single route relation would be nice.||Has been thoroughly relation'd, I think; from a distance?|
|X7||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge - Cottenham - Haddenham - Chatteris - March|
|X9||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge - Milton - Waterbeach - Ely - Chatteris - March||Some services run Cambridge-Ely only. Three loops exist in the southern section of the route: Milton, Landbeach and Waterbeach.||Relation'd between Cambridge and the west side of Ely.|
|X13||Stagecoach in Cambridge||Cambridge - Linton - Haverhill - Kedington||Bits and pieces in Cambridge and Haverhill; needs a lot of work; all stops have been role'd in, however.|
School and college bus services should not be relation'd as this project's purpose is to further public transport renderings.
References and footnotes
- Though if a service uses the same stretch of road, albeit on opposite sides of the road, one needs not relation said stretch of road more than once. In the Netherlands, the concensus seems to be that a bus route should have one relation per direction but I really don't think that's necessary. We have forward and backward roles within relations and the major public transport renderers, like ÖPNV-Karte render ‘one-way arrows’ if all routes using a particular way all go in the same direction.
- If a service was withdrawn in April 2011, for example, tag the relation with something like note:disused_bus=Service withdrawn 2011-04.
- Cambridge News (January 2011). 50 bus routes facing the axe as cuts bite.
- Cambridgeshire County Council (February 2011). Communities asked for views on changes to subsidised bus services.
- Kings Hedges is served by an anti-clockwise loop, from the junction of Campkin Rd and Northfield Avenue.
- City centre = c/c, for short.
- Circa 2010, Cambridge railway station is the only station in Cambridge; another is on the table (Chesterton station), but this is far from constructed.
- When relationing routes in Whittlesford, the following relation may be of assistance: .
- Relation'd between Drummer Street bus station, and (ex.) Four Lamps roundabout.
- Only northbound services call at Lolworth.
- Only northwest·bound services call at Lolworth.
- Via Soham, the Fordham loop and Newmarket town centre.
- In the Haverhill-Cambridge (heading northwest) direction only.
- A marketing phrase to describe one bus in the morning (am peak, Cambridge-ward) and one in the evening (back from Cambridge).
- The origin (pm peak) and terminus (am peak, inbound) stops in Cambridge are in different places, producing an 'open' loop in the city centre.
- The route via Somersham has "may have been relation'd" c. May 2010.
- One service in the morning and one in the evening, in other words.
- For some reason; don't ask me why. Ask Jesus.
- Though Cambs CC says: "…Brampton - Lt Paxton - St Neots".
- Route 'ere has been taken from, and described by, Cambridgeshire County Council and the operator's timetable.
- Whippet Coaches operate the 114 Monday to Friday, as well as some of Saturday services.
- Freedom Travel operate the remainder of the 114's Saturday services.
- Though the final stretch of road is yet to be survey'd.
- Either Ely or Black Horse Drove.
- According to County-produced publications.
- Is it worth mapping for "one bus each way a day"?
- Until a suitable Suffolk & NW Essex project is established.
- Double-circular service
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- According to County publications, route A buses will run clockwise around St. Ives then return to the P&R/busway.
- The Cambridge division is operating the Mo-Sa service, and the Fens division operating the Sunday.
- The C2 (run by Safford) is not related to the Citi 2 (run by Stagecoach).
- Surely not: someone's done thorough work on the X5 route.
- All three of these loops has been relation'd, along with the ways for X9 buses not serving looped developments.
- Remember: it's an express route, so only a few stops exist where you can hail the X13.