Call for logo sotm asia 2017
Call for Logo for SOTM Asia 2017
The State of the Map Asia 2017 working group is pleased to announce a call for logo designs. We need your help to build a strong recognisable logo for State of the Map Asia 2017 (SotM Asia) conference taking place in Kathmandu, Nepal. The conference is OpenStreetMap’s annual gathering of the community, interested parties and others in Asia.
We have put together a Design Brief which outlines what we were looking for in a logo. Entrants could be an individual or team of people, or even a design company.
All entries woill be considered to give copyright ownership to SotM so that it can be used across different mediums. Entries have to appear on the wiki page State Of The Map Asia 2017/Logo entries by 23:59 UTC (before midnight) on 31st March 2017. The SotM Asia 2017 working group will decide by vote the logo to go with.
The winning entry will be rewarded with one full weekend ticket to State of the Map 2016!
How to enter
- Create your logo in PNG file format and a scalable file format (either SVG or PDF).
- If you're not used to scalable formats please still enter the competition as we can try to help.
- Make your logo available online, one option is to upload it to the OSM Wiki (upload link).
- Add a link, or include your logo on the wiki page State Of The Map Asia 2017/Logo entries.
The State of the Map website (www.stateofthemap.org), flyers, emails, sponsor communications, t-shirts and potentially other conference ‘schwag’ like fabric or plastic bags, keychains, pens etc. Printed material at the conference such as timetable of talks, notebooks, banners and conference guide. Potentially small web-based button images for use on third party websites to promote the conference or fact that someone is speaking there, for placement on blogs and other web pages.
The design should communicate
- Open to all
- A sense of community
- The potential of open maps and OSM specifically
- Sense of learning and education
- Great value for money
- Global movement
The design should not communicate
- Corporate / big business (as the sole element)
- For geeks only
- Closed community
The design MUST
- Not be similar to other mapping conference logos (Where 2.0, ESRI, FOSS4G...)
- Not communicate the brand of potential sponsors or related companies
- Be easily printable on t-shirts with as few colours as possible (no more than 3). This keeps the cost down of printing.
- Be delivered in PNG file format and a scalable format (SVG or PDF).
The design MAY
- Adjust from previous OSM Foundation-run conferences.
- Be able to be colour-negated so that black is white, white is black etc.
- Come in different sizes (example: a main logo and a variant for use on small print media such as badges).
- SotM 2007 (result of a competition)
- SotM 2008 inverted version of the previous year.
- SotM 2009 & 2010 result of a competition intending to find a reusable SotM logo.
- SotM 2011 for Denver, US.
- SotM 2012 for Tokyo, Japan (kept the 2011 round with mountain style)
- SotM 2013 for Birmingham, UK (based on local bull sculpture)
- SotM 2014 for Buenos Aires, Argentina