|Aurora, Ontario, Canada|
|Latitude: 44.0000, Longitude: -79.466111|
|Browse Aurora map 44° 0′ 0″ N, 79° 27′ 58″ W|
|Use this template for your city|
- 1 Who
- 2 How you can help
- 3 Resources
- 4 Plan
- 5 Detail Level
- 6 Issues/Problems
- 7 Metadata (Tags)
- 8 To-Do/Outstanding
My name is Blake Crosby and I have been a resident of Aurora for 23 years and has seen the population grow from 15,000 to 45,000 people.
How you can help
Are you familiar with Aurora, Ontario? If so, feel free to contribute to the map.
If you would like to contribute to the mapping effort, email Blake at email@example.com.
Out of Copyright Maps
I have sent an email to the Aurora Public Library to inquire as to whether they have out of copyright maps that I can use. Update: The oldest maps they have are from 1994.
The following timetable has been proposed for GPS tracing. The reference grid used for area definitions is from the "official" map of the town as provided by the town itself.
Note: Now that the weather is nice, i'm focusing on getting the trails mapped.
February 28, 2008
Grid F3 east of Bayview Ave.
Grid F4 north of Wellington Street
March 1, 2008
Grid F1, south of St. Johns Sideroad & east of Bayview Ave.
Grid F2, east of Bayview Ave.
Grid F4, north of Wellington St.
Grid G1, south of St. Johns Sideroad
Grid G4, north of Wellington St.
Grid H1, south of St. Johns Sideroad
Grid H4, north of Wellington St.
Grid I1, south of St. Johns Sideroad & west of Highway 404
Grid I2, west of Highway 404
Grid I3, west of Highway 404
Grid I4, north of Wellington St. & west of Highway 404
March 2, 2008
Area bounded by:
East of Bayview Avenue
West of Highway 404
South of Wellington Street
North of Bloomington
March 11, 2008
Area bounded by:
Vandorf Sideroad/Industrial Parkway S
March 15, 2008
Bounded by: North of Vandorf Side Road, East of Yonge St, West of Bayview Ave. View Trace
Grid D4, south of Wellington Street
Grid E4, south of Wellington Street
Grid F4, west of Bayview
Grid E4, north of Wellington Street
Grid F3, West of Bayview Grid F4, North of wellington, East of Bayview. 20030813
The completed map will contain the following details
- All roads
- Railways (including level crossings, and viaducts)
- Town boundary
- Parks, Including:
- Baseball Diamonds
- Soccer Fields
- Lawn Bowling
- Water (streams, lakes, rivers)
- Schools (Private, Public, Seperate/Catholic. All levels, day care, public, secondary)
- Churches and cemeteries
- Golf Courses
- Municipal buildings such as:
- Police Stations
- Community centres
- Town Hall
The following items may be added if known:
- Proposed roads
- Proposed amenities (schools, etc..)
- Neighbourhood names
The following items will be added as time permits:
- Gas stations
- Traffic lights
- Stop signs
- Speed bumps and traffic calming areas
- Speed limits
- School Zones
- Public Transit routes
- Easements and paths
- Increased detail on short boulevards. Specifically, split them up into two one way direction ways. For Example, see Borealis Ave between Bayview Ave/Conover Ave.
Most maps show Yonge St. from the CN Bridge (in the south) to St. John's Sideroad as a secondary road, not a primary road.
This makes sense to me, because the speed limit drops from 80km/h to 50km/h in the core of the town. However, it is still a 4 lane highway (2 lanes each way) with dedicated turn lanes.
Since there is no standard for tagging roads in Canada yet... this way might be re-tagged differently in the future.
The primary road type should really only be used for non-400 series provincial highways that are still assumed by the province. Yonge does not fall into this category, --2dfx 03:05, 16 February 2009 (UTC)
- Most school playgrounds are shared with parks. It's hard to determine park limits as they blend in with the school yard. Should the park include the school yard, or not? I have been outlining parks with the assumption that they do not include the school yard.
- Highland field is used mainly by the Aurora Soccer club and is not really a park perse. Should it be tagged with sport=soccer
Does this forest extend south of Vandorf Sideroad?
Include as much meta data as possible, in most cases level of detail will increase as time permits.
For example: Include locations of schools. Metadata for school can include phone number, grade level, etc.. which will be added later.
Things that need to get done, or redone:
Kane Crescent. Only north half of crescent traced.
Water body south of River Ridge Boulevard.
- Water body west of Matson Court
Grid F3/F4 Trace roads that attach to Wellington/Bayview
Construction site, entrance off St. John's Sideroad (Mavrinac Blvd.)
- Magna properties (Magna Golf Course, entrance off leslie)
- Vandorf Side Road, East of Bayview / West of Leslie and associated residential areas. (cant use yahoo imagery due to clouds/low res)
- Double check accuracy/gps tracks of Lewis Honey Way/Mavrinac Boulevard
Falconwood Hollow . blocked by gate
Beacon Hall Drive . blocked by gate
Crossing Bridge Place . blocked by gate
- Danbrook Court
- Stonecliffe Crescent
- Cousins drive east of Edward Street
- Iber Court
- Wenderly Drive
- Dunning Ave
- Berczy Street south of Mosley street
- highway 404 on/off ramps
- add lanes=* to roads that have more than one lane in each direction
add layer=1 to roads/bridges that cross over highway 404
- Convert single way roads, to dual way roads where boulevards exist.
- Ensure proper tagging of highway 404. including on/off ramps, bridges, exit numbers
- Proper tagging technique? see Bayview avenue for example. Right now using route=bus and bus_name=<routename>
- Added a cycle route using proper tags. It is not appearing on the cycle map. Sent an email to Andy. Update: Andy is aware of the problem and has added Toronto and Western Canada to the rendering schedule.
- Finish trails in Arbouretum
To-Do list for parks:
ALLENVALE PARK BLOCK
AURORA COMMUNITY CENTRE
AURORA WAR MEMORIAL PEACE PARK
BOWLER STREET PARKETTE
CANINE COMMONS LEASH FREE DOG PARK
CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
DEERGLEN TERRACE PARKETTE
ELIZABETH HADER PARK
GOLF GLEN PARK
HAMILTON PARK & OPEN SPACE
HERB MCKENZIE PARK
HEATHWOOD HEIGHTS TO TREEGROVE CIRCLE TRAIL
HOLLAND VALLEY TRAIL SYSTEM / NOKIIDAA TRAIL / ARBORETUM
JACK WOOD PARK
JAMES LLOYD PARK
LAKEVIEW TRAIL SYSTEM
LAMBERT WILLSON PARK - AURORA FAMILY LEISURE COMPLEX
McCLELLAN HEIGHTS PARK
MONKMAN CRESCENT PARKETTE
NORM WELLER PARK
POPLAR PARK (not town park,privately run)
VANDORF WOODLOT & HOLLAND RIVER VALLEY PHASE II (guessed from sat image. need to double check)
WILLIAM KENNEDY PARK
WILLOW FARM VALLEY
Aurora Highlands Golf
Beacon Hall Golf Club
Westview Golf Club
St. Andrews Valley Golf Club
Magna Golf Club
Fleury Park - 4 Courts
McMahon Park - 3 Courts
Norm Weller Park - 2 Courts
Summit Park 2 - Courts
Route 31 - Aurora North
Route 32 - Aurora South
Route 33 - Wellington
Route 34 - Industrial Parkway
Route 44 - Bristol-London/Dial-a-Ride
Route 52 - Holland Landing
Route 54 - Bayview North
Route 55 / 55B - Davis Drive
Route 56 - Gorham-Eagle
Route 57 / 57A - Mulock Drive
Route 58 / 58A - Leslie North
Route 98 - Yonge North
Route 222 - Aurora-Newmarket GO Shuttle
Route 223 - Newmarket GO Shuttle
Route 520 - Newmarket Community Bus
Route 521 - Newmarket Community Bus
Route 420 - Newmarket High School via Savage
Route 421 - Newmarket High School via Stonehaven
Route 422 - Huron Heights High School
Route 423 - Newmarket High School Special
Route 424 - Keswick High School via Church
Route 425 - Holland Landing - Huron Heights
Route 443 - Cardinal Carter High School