- See also WikiProject Congo-Brazzaville for the neighbouring Republic of the Congo.
|The Democratic Republic of the Congo (Congo-Kinshasa), Africa|
|latitude: -4, longitude: 21|
|Browse map of The Democratic Republic of the Congo (Congo-Kinshasa) 4°00′00″ S, 21°00′00″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
The Democratic Republic of the Congo (Congo-Kinshasa) is a country in Africa at latitude 4°00′00″ South, longitude 21°00′00″ East.
|OpenStreetMap images (and underlying map data) are freely available under the OpenStreetMap License.|
This page contains information relating to mapping activity that is specific to the Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaïre, but also frequently named Congo-Kinshasa now to avoid the confusion with the Republic of Congo, also named Congo-Brazzaville). Any guides or conventions on this page can be discussed on the discussion page, feel free to comment or help (mapping your area, tagging streets or correcting this page).
Goals - you can help!
| WikiProject Congo-Kinshasa +/-|
If you have a goal that you are working towards or one that you would like to see get done (and are maybe willing to get the ball rolling) then add it to the list here, create a section where it can be coordinated and tracked, and a way of measuring progress.
Please feel free to help out with these!
- Lots of missing residential roads on outskirts of Kinshasa
- Lots of residential roads missing on outskirts of Mbuji-Mayi
- A few missing roads around Kisangani
Projects in DRC
- May 2017 - HOT activation in North Congo (Bas-Uélé Province). See the 2017 DRC Ebola OSM response page to check on-going efforts, communication and coordination channels and be part of this 2017 mobilization.
- August 2014 - HOT activation for Ebola outbreak, focused in and around: Boende - Watsikengo, Bokote - Waka and Bokoto DRC, more information and links to the HOT Tasking manager here 
- April 2014 - Mapping Lubumbashi, HOT in conjunction with MSF-UK and the University of Lubumbashi  More information here 
- February 2013 - Creation of the OSM Community in Kinshasa 
- Mapping South Kivu, Missing Maps project
- December 2012 - HOT activation in Eastern Congo (North and South Kivu Provinces) 
World Resources Institute
- In 2015, forestry roads from WRI datasets were imported via the HOT tasking manager following this workflow
- Africover () - has granted us (Development Seed () - permission to upload their base layers - roads, rails, admin boundaries. So far, we have uploaded the road shapefile. Outstanding work includes:
- Rivers - Africover
- Admin Boundaries (need to determine current status of OSM dataset before doing anything here) - Africover
Référentiel Géographique Commun (http://rgc.cd/) :
- RGC data are free to use but users are requested to cite the data source using the following statement: "These geographic data are provided by Referentiel Geographique Commun (www.rgc.cd)"
- Localities :
- GPS dans les territoires de Kungu et Bomongo en Équateur, au Bas-Congo, au Bandundu, au Katanga, au Nord-Kivu, au Sud-Kivu et au Maniema
- GNS modifiés (souvent mal positionés, par manque de précision)
- Waterways (sometimes poorly aligned to satellite images)
- Railways (fait: Comilog (Brazza), CFCO (Brazza), CFL (Kisangani), CFU (Bumba-Isiro), CFM (Boma) CFB (partie Luena-Dilolo); sometimes railway lines are not very accurate.)
- Routes (RN, RPS et RPP)
- RN : quelques RN mal tracées par rapport aux images satellite
- Imported after comparing with downloaded dataset using the Script for finding nearby nodes with a distance of 5 km.
Please note that data available at RGC has different origins. Therefore the accuracy of the data varies even within a dataset. For example a significant amount of the data is based on old surveys with sometimes limited accuracy. Before using the data please familiarize yourself with the description of the datasets (cf. ). See also the discussion page.
La commune de Kimbanseke met à disposition sur son site des pages pour tous les 30 quartiers, où on trouve des plan de quartiers sur la base des photos aériennes en résolution moyen ("carte spéciale") avec écoles, bureau de quartier et certains noms de rue. C'est un travail de la coopération technique belge, basant sur des informations du bourgmestre et des chef de quartier. http://www.kimbanseke.cd/quartiers.php3 http://www.kimbanseke.cd/autres_quartiers.php3
La Nsele (KN) et Maluku (KN)
MIR-PDI a reçu un mandat limité du CCISD à savoir la cartographie du district sanitaire de Nsele. Les cartes des 39 air de santé des communes de La Nsele et de Maluku sont en ligne. Elles comprennent:
- Routes et chemins (without name)
- postes de santé (with name and elevation)
- Villages (with name and elevation)
- Rivers (with name), streams
À voir les droits. http://www.mirdev.org/04prosakin05/index.php
People interested in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (Africover) ()- A project aimed at generating a database of GIS layers for the purpose of promoting sustainable management of environmental resources at national, regional and global levels. DRC data includes administrative and political boundaries, towns, rivers, roads, thematic woodland, thematic grassland, and spatially aggregated multipurpose landcover. Permission from Africover must be obtained to import road, river, and administrative boundary data layers into OSM.
- Geographic Information Support Team (GIST) ()- An inter-agency data repository that promotes the use of geographic data standards and geographical information systems (GIS) in support of humanitarian relief operations. The data layers for the DRC include administrative boundaries, transportation infrastructure, parks and reserves, elevation, rivers, lakes, hospitals, vegetation, settlements, and agricultural areas.
- Référentiel Géographique Commun (http://rgc.cd/)