|Ferozepur, Punjab, India|
|latitude: 30.9452, longitude: 74.6263|
|Browse map of Ferozepur 30°56′43″ N, 74°37′35″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
|OpenStreetMap images (and underlying map data) are freely available under the OpenStreetMap License.|
Uploading an image file
The old way of doing things (which is still widely in use) is to upload an image file into the wiki. This has the major disadvantage that the image is not updated automatically as the map develops. But it does mean you can use Mapnik view, or some other rendering.
Upload the image to the wiki, using the "Upload file" link (bottom left).
Finally edit the wiki page again, and set the image parameter e.g. image=Image:Oxford-map.png.
Categorising the city
The Template:Place (see above) will automatically allocate the page to categories as follows:
- If the subarea parameter is defined then the page will be allocated to a category such as "Towns in subarea" (or "cities in..", "villages in...")
- If the subarea parameter is not defined, or subarea is defined and the corresponding category does not exist, the page will be allocated to a category such as "Towns in area".
- If a category exists with the same name as the place then the page will be allocated to that category.
If you wish to manually add a further category (or you haven't used Template:Place) then add text to the bottom of the page, saying what category the place is in.
[[Category:Towns in Canada]]
To find a suitable category, look through Category:Places.
Other things you can do
- If the place has multiple names, alternate spellings, capitalisation, etc., then create redirect pages so that they link to your new page. See Help:Redirect for how to do that.
- If there is a WikiProject for your country (see Category:Projects for a list, or Mapping projects page), then add your town to that page.
- Consider adding the map to the Wikipedia article on that place; some examples are listed in the OpenStreetMap category on Wikipedia.
- You might want to track the status of your city by using the template of Landkreis München.