Humanitarian OSM Team/Working groups/Activation/meeting 2015-05-26

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Activation WG Meeting Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 14:00 UTC

Participants (IRC handle)

russdeffner, mataharimhairi, dit_, dodobas, BlakeGirardot, danbjoseph, pierzen, pgiraud (short cameo at the end regarding TM)

Links mentioned in meeting

Meeting Summary

  • Review Previous Meeting minutes[1]
  • Landslide Studies have been added to the Nepal Activation Trello
    • Still need to review/pull information for potential InaSAFE analysis
  • Introduce Curriculum Outline
    • Note: material being released in 'controlled fashion' not everyone will have access to materials yet
    • Curriculum Outline is based off 'outcomes' of Activation process/protocol
    • From those outcomes and early curriculum drafting - "Roles" have been identified
    • The outline is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1219DD83wT52p2ksEfkvOLi9HfoZtCcRBO34xjTHhaX8/edit#heading=h.9bulblmkx930
      • Notice that it is restricted access
      • Hopefully by next week more broad access will be made available.
    • Controlled Release/Two-step review process should reduce 'overload' and help facilitate development
  • Nepal Activation Update:
    • Managing the priorities from the Task Manager
      • Pre-Disaster priority jobs are flooded by new ones (#1018 is way behind in the list)
      • Post-Disaster jobs are progressing slowly.
      • The question - Should we continue both?
    • 1. damaged villages identification
    • 2. IDP formal camps identification
    • We dont have a portrait zones covered UNOSAT - Tomnod , and OSM work done is spread everywhere
    • Landslides and other tasks - The question - what added value OSM can add?
    • Stats over 14 millions objects edited, more then 6,500 contributors.
    • We should now assure better validations, tags, routing, etc
      • Example of tagging correction needed building=I think this isxxx. or building=This is an hotel, this is xxx.
    • No follow-up/volunteer from the call for imagery coordination help on Activation mailing list last week.
      • Quite difficult to monitor,but less requests now to map new areas
      • Difficult to identify which image covers a certain area
      • Then to have the metadata, tms url + attribution source
      • Not sure how to better approach recruiting help
      • May see improvement with launch of curriculum/activator training
    • Discussed the difficulty in managing all the tasks, prioritizing and maintaining the priority list
      • Tasking Manager enhancements have been suggested
      • Lot's of 'triage' needed for TM requests/reports
      • Building up a team to take charge of TM enhancements
      • Outreachy Intern focusing on TM usability testing
  • Tabled Item: Activation Protocol Draft Finalizing (moved to next week)

IRC Log

<russdeffner> hello
<russdeffner> agenda for AWG is here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Activation/meeting_2015-05-26
<russdeffner> first item is to review previous meeting summary, here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Activation/meeting_2015-05-19
<mataharimhairi> hello?
<russdeffner> hello Mhairi
<dit_> Hi all
<russdeffner> just giving eveyone a chance to look over last weeks summary and suggest any changes
<russdeffner> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Activation/meeting_2015-05-19
<mataharimhairi> great
<russdeffner> the next agenda item I put in there hoping that maybe the Board meeting would be concluded and maybe Tyler would be able to give us an update
<russdeffner> but I don't see Tyler here; Blake - is the meeting still going?
<russdeffner> ok, well I think we can 'switch' the two agenda items, maybe we'll hear something by the end of the meeting
<dodobas> hello activation working groupers :)
<russdeffner> Hi dodobas
<BlakeGirardot> Yes
<danbjoseph> hi all, dan joseph here, joining the awg mtg for the first time. interested to observe.
<BlakeGirardot> Board meeting still going on
<russdeffner> Before we go into Activation Protocol and Curriculum, are there any other agenda items?
<mataharimhairi> hello dan joseph :)
<russdeffner> i.e. Do we have any urgent/pressing things with any current projects/activations?
<mataharimhairi> not that i have anything to report back on
<mataharimhairi> i have just been adding the landslide studies that pierre beland provided to the nepal activation board
<russdeffner> ok, great
<mataharimhairi> but i haven't had a chance to see how the studies can be integrated with the inasafe software to produce influential outputs
<BlakeGirardot> Pierre will be here in a moment
<BlakeGirardot> to brief on Nepal
<mataharimhairi> hopefully i will be able to look at it in the next couple of days
<russdeffner> ok thanks Blake and Mhairi
<russdeffner> Hi pierzen, would you like to report on Nepal Activation now, or come back to it?
<pierzen> Hi russell, will re-read and comeback
<russdeffner> ok, then let's skip to 'introducing the curriculum'
<russdeffner> so first, apologies to some of you who won't be able to view the actual material
<russdeffner> I am doing this in 'controlled release' fashion
<russdeffner> So in a nutshell: I draft, a core team gives initial feedback, once something becomes 'reviewable' then I'll release to greater audiences
<russdeffner> A bit of background: the curriculum and protocol drafting began at the Activation Sprint that was just before the HOT Summit
<russdeffner> I am basically taking the Activation Process/Protocol doc and turned that into a curriculum outline based on the outcomes generated when process/protocol is enacted
<russdeffner> So from those 'outcomes' I've broken it into 'roles'
<russdeffner> Here is the draft outline: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1219DD83wT52p2ksEfkvOLi9HfoZtCcRBO34xjTHhaX8/edit#heading=h.9bulblmkx930
<russdeffner> again, only select people can view/edit - basically anyone with an @hotosm address should be able to at least view
<russdeffner> I think by next week, I'll be ready to give broader access
<russdeffner> so, I don
<russdeffner> bah
<russdeffner> I don't want to take much time today for comment/review, just wanted to introduce - thanks
<mataharimhairi> thank you russell
<russdeffner> so unless we have some news regarding the draft process/protocol doc; I think we can get a report from Pierre and/or go into 'any other business'
<mataharimhairi> that is great. i really think having this controlled method of providing feedback will keep the process of developing the curriculum orderly
<mataharimhairi> and everyone will still have the opportunity to contribute to its development
<mataharimhairi> which is very important
<pierzen> Ok about the activation?
<russdeffner> yes, and having a 'two-step' process should prevent any 'overload' on reviewers as well
<russdeffner> we have about 25 pages of 'raw material', so it will take a lot of time and effort to mold
<russdeffner> yes, peirzen - whenever you are ready
<russdeffner> oh, I may be having internet issues... please continue without me if this message comes through
<pierzen> Cannot read the sahana log this morning. I dont know if you spoke about the activation before the last 12 min. I started at 10:12 EST
<pierzen> Managing the priorities from the Task Manager
<pierzen> Pre-Disaster priority jobs are flooded by new ones (#1018 is way behind in the list)
<pierzen> Post-Disaster jobs are progressing slowly.
<pierzen> The question - Should we continue both?
<pierzen> 1. damaged villages identification
<pierzen> 2. IDP formal camps identification
<pierzen> We dont have a portrait zones covered UNOSAT - Tomnod , and OSM work done is spread everywhere
<pierzen> Landslides and other tasks - The question - what added value OSM can add?
<pierzen>
<russdeffner> oh, I guess I'm not the only one not able to see sahana log, maybe not my internet then
<russdeffner> thanks pierzen, we had not discussed the activation at all yet
<pierzen> Stats over 14 millions objects edited, more then 6,500 contributors. We should now assure better validations, tags, routing, etc
<pierzen> I can list all the tags used and find places where corrections needed. Example of tagging correction needed building=I think this isxxx. or building=This is an hotel, this is xxx.
<pierzen> thats what I have for today.
<russdeffner> ok great - thank you
<russdeffner> did anyone ever follow-up with you or Cristiano regarding asking for imagery coordination help?
<pierzen> No
<russdeffner> ok, are you still in need?
<pierzen> Quite difficult to monitor,but less requests now to map new areas.
<pierzen> The difficulty, difficult to identify which image covers a certain area.
<pierzen> Then to have the metadata, tms url + attribution source
<pierzen> I commented this vs the Google crisismap where they list all imagery. They might add these metadaa.
<pierzen> metadata!
<russdeffner> :)
<russdeffner> ok, I guess I am a bit of loss for best way to recruit help
<pierzen> I think that we should now look for long term and assure the next time we have tools adapted to such major responses.
<russdeffner> once we have the curriculum/activator training started it should help
<russdeffner> more people who feel they know what is needed of them
<pierzen> The same with the TM where it is very difficult to assure for example that particular pre-disaster tasks have the priority.
<russdeffner> maybe now, people are shy to volunteer for the role if they are not sure what will be expected of them
<pierzen> #1018 is now flooded at the end of the urgents ones. We dont have more urgent among the urgent!
<russdeffner> maybe we need to limit 'urgent' to only a select few - everything else high or below?
<pierzen> About Imagery monitoring. Google as an excellent KML. But metadata is missing
<pierzen> not easy to manage these priorities. This 1. by priority, 2. by job no.
<pierzen> I have asked before to add a priority variable to better control the order of TM's
<pierzen> With the redisign with cards,we could have a featured one with just a few tasks selected.
<pierzen> The Featured among urgent ones!
<russdeffner> ok, so you think some TM enhancemens will help?
<russdeffner> other suggestions in the meantime?
<danbjoseph> anyone know the status of https://github.com/hotosm/hotosm-hewlett-projects/issues/1 ?
<pierzen> Yes, with the capacity to better discriminate which jobs are on top. Look at the jobs added for the flooding east of Pokhara. This is less urgent but people are mapping these today. I think to reduce the priority of these.
<danbjoseph> "Triage the Tasking Manager GitHub issues"
<danbjoseph> and has the finer-detailed priority issue being described now been logged?
<russdeffner> danbjoseph - Mhairi would be best to answer that, but I know it is getting late in Indonesia
<danbjoseph> (among the 155 open issues)
<russdeffner> I think the 'focus' has shifted a bit
<mataharimhairi> hey dan
<russdeffner> We have an Outreachy intern doing usability testing
<mataharimhairi> nothing has been triaged yet
<mataharimhairi> which will hopefully get done this week
<mataharimhairi> as it has been assigned to myself, cristiano and pierre giraud
<mataharimhairi> once we have categorised the issues
<russdeffner> I should say that the intern just started yesterday? So the actually usability testing won't happen for some time
<mataharimhairi> they will then be presented to the Technical Working Group for review
<mataharimhairi> yes, blake would be better to ask as he is mentoring the TM usability testing outreachy project
<russdeffner> Mhairi - how closely is the outreachy intern's work related?
<mataharimhairi> but the internship just started on monday and we are still communicating with other interested parties
<mataharimhairi> to determine the best plan of action, collaboration and time plan to approach the projects
<russdeffner> ok, thanks that answers my question
<russdeffner> one last thing I have is a bit of question for pierzen...
<russdeffner> messaging for the activation...
<mataharimhairi> everything should come together over the next couple of weeks to target the TM issues
<mataharimhairi> and required enhancements to make the activation process smoother and more efficient
<russdeffner> Were you (pierzen) and Nama writing a blog post?
<pierzen> Not yet started, I prepare stats now.
<russdeffner> There is definitely interest from the communications wg to do more social media, etc., so let us know when you have something and we'll start messaging
<pierzen> Ok.
<russdeffner> Great - we are about 5 minutes from the top of the hour; last call for 'any other business' for the activation workign group?
<danbjoseph> jumping back real quick... i didn't find any issues logged that directly addressed the capacity to better sort jobs by priority so i opened https://github.com/hotosm/osm-tasking-manager2/issues/622
<russdeffner> ok, thanks danbjoseph
<mataharimhairi> thanks dan. i was just about to do that
<mataharimhairi> add anything that you guys can think of and we will sort through them all
<mataharimhairi> better not to miss anything at this point
<danbjoseph> please add comments, links to related issues, etc.
<russdeffner> ok, and I didn't see Tyler connect and Blake's 'silence' :) leads me to believe the Board is still meeting; so we'll table the process/protocol discussion until next week
<russdeffner> Thanks everyone for attending the Activation Working Group meeting!
<BlakeGirardot> Just ended the Board meeting
<danbjoseph> Thanks to the leads!
<russdeffner> oh, Blake did you have anything for the group?
<BlakeGirardot> So we are still working out how to improve the TM "front page"
<BlakeGirardot> and what UI testing will consist of
<BlakeGirardot> We have seen mock ups from the previous intern
<BlakeGirardot> so it is a bit of balance between making changes to what is there now and UI testing new/old interfaces.
<pierzen> TM lanslides tasks near Pokhara - Discussed with Nirab from KLL and we agreed and reduced the priority of these tasks to High.
<russdeffner> ok great - I'll get that into the notes
<BlakeGirardot> This week we are doing set up so Rekth, the woman who is working with us through the outreachy program can tinker with the UI in her local install
<BlakeGirardot> And we will get her introduced to everyone etc
<pgiraud> BlakeGirardot, don't forget that nikita already did some work for the home page
<pgiraud> though never finished
<BlakeGirardot> Is there code?
<BlakeGirardot> We need to chat about it though pgiraud, this week if possible
<pgiraud> OK
<russdeffner> Ok, so just to 'clarify' - I think we're adjourning the AWG - please continue talking about TM, but think it's 'outside' AWG scope
<BlakeGirardot> Rekth, Laura (UK Red Cross(?) UI person) and myself all reviewed the issue in github
<BlakeGirardot> with the mocks ups.
<BlakeGirardot> Aye russ, AWG over for me, I just saw the issue come up in the AWG
<russdeffner> yep, just making sure the attendees know they are 'off the hook' :)
<russdeffner> Thanks again everyone, look for log/summary and next week's agenda to be posted on the wiki later today
<BlakeGirardot> I don't have a ton of time to talk about it now either.