Humanitarian OSM Team/Working groups/Activation/meeting 2015-07-14

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Activation WG Meeting Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 14:00 UTC

Participants - IRC handle (lines said)

russdeffner (123), cristiano (31), Tyler_Radford (31), mataharimhairi (22), enock4seth (8), mkl (6), RAytoun (2), danbjoseph (2), BlakeGirardot (1)

Links mentioned in meeting

Meeting Summary

  1. Review Previous Meeting Summary (russdeffner, 14:01:56)
    1. The action item from last week was handled via Tyler and several individuals (russdeffner, 14:07:54)
  2. Any Pressing Activation Needs (russdeffner, 14:10:16)
    1. IDEA: The Activation Lead(s) who coordinated Ebola and Cyclone Pam/Vanuatu should conclude the Activation or inform the AWG why we haven't 'archived' those projects yet (russdeffner, 14:16:43)
  3. Update and Final Review of Activation Protocol (russdeffner, 14:17:34)
    1. Last week for feedback on Activation Protocol (russdeffner, 14:19:55)
  4. Re-order projects on Tasking Manager - Activations wg email list for consensus (russdeffner, 14:25:20)
    1. Tabled until next meeting so presenter can explain
  5. Project Support - Tanzania (russdeffner, 14:31:01)
    1. Tyler is looking for someone to help set up a TM project (russdeffner, 14:34:35)
    2. IDEA: since no takers at the meeting, suggest recruiting from activation@ (russdeffner, 14:36:38)
    3. ACTION: Tyler to follow-up with Tanzania team for an update and activation list for tasking help (russdeffner, 14:38:54)
    4. IDEA: something regional HOTties could help with, OSMTM job set up. will forward the ask to them (mkl, 14:39:44)
  6. Note of thanks to imagery providers (russdeffner, 14:39:36)
    1. Blog/update was posted today (russdeffner, 14:42:24)
    2. Tyler asks points of contact of providers mentioned to coordinate with him for forwarding note directly (russdeffner, 14:45:29)
  7. Status update on after action review sessions (russdeffner, 14:46:05)
    1. Cristiano held great and productive Nepal AAR last Friday (russdeffner, 14:48:44)
    2. Blake scheduling more AAR sessions for after his current travelling (russdeffner, 14:49:59)
    3. Cristiano will publish a summary soon and is drafting an imagery-coord ToR document (russdeffner, 14:52:45)
  8. Discuss Agenda and Documentation Platform(s) (russdeffner, 14:53:58)
    1. IDEA: ED and Board should discuss and/or decide and then let all WG Leads know their decision and/or which platform(s) and why (russdeffner, 15:10:12)
    2. ACTION: Russell to follow-up with Tyler about a possible Board agenda item (russdeffner, 15:21:21)
  9. Discuss AWG Schedule (russdeffner, 15:21:51)
    1. IDEA: continue agenda platform and potential scheduling change on activation@ (russdeffner, 15:29:44)

IRC Log

14:00:47 <russdeffner> #startmeeting Activation Working Group July 14
14:00:47 <hot_meetbot`> Meeting started Tue Jul 14 14:00:47 2015 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes. The chair is russdeffner. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:00:47 <hot_meetbot`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
14:00:47 <hot_meetbot`> The meeting name has been set to 'activation_working_group_july_14'
14:01:34 <russdeffner> welcome everyone - if you'd like to be noted as participating, just say hello and/or anything and the bot will note your participation
14:01:56 <russdeffner> #topic Review Previous Meeting Summary
14:02:06 <BlakeGirardot> Hi russ, I can only stay a few minutes.
14:02:17 <russdeffner> hi Blake no problem
14:02:32 <russdeffner> please everyone take a few minutes to review the meeting summary from last week: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Activation/meeting_2015-07-07
14:02:52 <russdeffner> very short as there were only three of us
14:03:14 <russdeffner> I will only note, that the action item was 'changed'
14:03:35 <russdeffner> i.e. Tyler worked with several individuals to follow-up on the potential project
14:03:46 <danbjoseph> hi everyone
14:04:10 <russdeffner> not sure if we 'need' to note that in the summary, but might be good practice?
14:05:04 <Tyler_Radford> Hello all
14:05:22 <russdeffner> any thoughts on that, or should I post an 'info' in this meeting?
14:06:35 <cristiano> Hello! A note here should be fine
14:06:38 <Tyler_Radford> russdeffner I think we can just update here
14:07:04 <cristiano> Can I propose an action to ask on the activation@ list to move this meeting to every two weeks and possibly 2 hours later? :)
14:07:28 <russdeffner> cristiano - let's add an agenda item to discuss schedule
14:07:54 <russdeffner> #info The action item from last week was handled via Tyler and several individuals
14:08:14 <russdeffner> any other needs for the topic/agenda item 1?
14:08:15 <Tyler_Radford> russdeffner is there an agenda for today?
14:08:24 <russdeffner> https://hackpad.com/Activation-Working-Group-July-14-2015-Meeting-Agenda-VySQolsytmh
14:09:34 <cristiano> Hey Russ - do you mind moving the agenda to Google Drive from next time? ;-)
14:09:58 <russdeffner> critiano - just following 'tradition' but maybe also a good agenda item
14:10:02 <russdeffner> moving on
14:10:16 <russdeffner> #topic Any Pressing Activation Needs
14:10:37 <russdeffner> are there any pressing needs for the current Activation(s)?
14:11:41 <RAytoun> Hi all
14:11:52 <russdeffner> also a future suggestion - to keep the flow of the meeting going well, please add agenda items before the meeting
14:12:04 <Tyler_Radford> russdeffner I have not heard anything this week, is Pierre or Nama here today
14:12:51 <russdeffner> maybe Blake, if you're still here - anything from the validation coordination side?
14:14:30 <russdeffner> I think two weeks back we also were discussing 'concluding' the Ebola Activation and according to the wiki we are still activated for Vanuatu
14:14:44 <russdeffner> any word/thoughts on that?
14:16:43 <russdeffner> #idea The Activation Lead(s) who coordinated Ebola and Cyclone Pam/Vanuatu should conclude the Activation or inform the AWG why we haven't 'archived' those projects yet
14:17:09 <russdeffner> moving on...
14:17:24 <Tyler_Radford> russdeffner agree
14:17:34 <russdeffner> #topic Update and Final Review of Activation Protocol
14:18:25 <Tyler_Radford> russdeffner on the last point, is it Pierre for Vanuatu
14:18:40 <Tyler_Radford> Who do we consider the lead/lead(s) for Ebola
14:18:51 <russdeffner> As announced to the main list, this is the 'final' week for reviewing the Activation Protocol before it goes 'off-line' for print-editing
14:19:02 <Tyler_Radford> I can follow up outside of this meeting to confirm
14:19:19 <russdeffner> Tyler_Radford - I think the wiki-pages say who is coordinating, I would start there
14:19:35 <russdeffner> The link to the protocol again: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qefHRE3_wUyG3lMSb7NlkSDtPuQeaQXsflkxt3E3xSA
14:19:55 <russdeffner> #info Last week for feedback on Activation Protocol
14:20:12 <russdeffner> and a huge thanks to all the review/commenting!
14:21:37 <mkl> thanks for the work Russell
14:21:48 <mkl> I'll be taking a close look
14:21:51 <russdeffner> now I will be shifting gears to focus primarily on the training curriculum
14:22:18 <mkl> So will print editing involve more work on the graphics?
14:22:58 <russdeffner> but the 'product design' is actually based pretty much directly from the graphic/diagram on page 3 (Activation Roster section)
14:23:28 <russdeffner> yes mkl - thanks to Katja again who will be doing the bulk of the final graphics including a cover page, etc.
14:23:42 <mkl> cool
14:23:56 <russdeffner> I think it's great because it should end up having the same look and feel as the new icons, etc. on the website
14:24:28 <russdeffner> any questions or... moving on...
14:25:07 <mkl> i just skimmed it, and having even the start of the look and feel really helps. also like the simplified structure. anyway, i'll review and send feedback. thx
14:25:20 <russdeffner> #topic Re-order projects on Tasking Manager - Activations wg email list for consensus
14:25:41 <russdeffner> I believe Blake added this, do you want to present?
14:27:25 <russdeffner> I know he had to leave, so anyone else?
14:29:31 <russdeffner> I guess we'll 'table' then, not sure the bot command
14:29:34 <russdeffner> #commands
14:29:34 <hot_meetbot`> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #reject #rejected #restrictlogs #save #showvote #startmeeting #startvote #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote
14:30:18 <russdeffner> #save Tabling this until the presenter can explain
14:30:24 <russdeffner> moving on...
14:31:01 <russdeffner> #topic Project Support - Tanzania
14:31:39 <russdeffner> Tyler, did you want to present this?
14:32:10 <Tyler_Radford> Mapping Dar es Salaam - we have a team in the field in Tanzania mapping 20 wards (neighborhoods)
14:32:43 <Tyler_Radford> The work is supported by missing maps, remote mapathons and other activities to digitize some of the building footprints & road network
14:33:10 <Tyler_Radford> We have an event coming up this week at a University to map 3 of the wards. Can someone help set up a project in Tasking Manager?
14:34:35 <russdeffner> #info Tyler is looking for someone to help set up a TM project
14:36:35 <Tyler_Radford> If no takers no, I'll send out a note to the Activation list
14:36:38 <russdeffner> #idea since no takers at the meeting, suggest recruiting from activation@
14:36:44 <russdeffner> :)
14:36:55 <cristiano> Can I ask the Tanzania team to post an update to the HOT list with recent work and planned events?
14:37:11 <russdeffner> and/or blog post
14:37:19 <cristiano> That would be good to create momentum and ask for support by volunteers
14:37:45 <Tyler_Radford> Agree, we have been featuring the project quite a bit on Twitter, and setting up the team to be able to post directly to our blog
14:37:52 <Tyler_Radford> I'll follow up on that
14:38:03 <mataharimhairi> cristiano agree. a little more information will probably entice someone
14:38:43 <cristiano> People would also be interested to learn about the technology used, since afaik is the first official HOT project using UAVs and land sensors
14:38:54 <russdeffner> #action Tyler to follow-up with Tanzania team for an update and activation list for tasking help
14:39:00 <Tyler_Radford> Right.. here's a recent update: http://ramanihuria.org/community-mapping-ultimate-future-for-dar-es-salaam/
14:39:09 <Tyler_Radford> Will work on getting cross posted to HOT blog and an update sent out
14:39:20 <russdeffner> ready to move on?
14:39:23 <Tyler_Radford> yes
14:39:36 <russdeffner> #topic Note of thanks to imagery providers
14:39:44 <mkl> one more idea on TZ ... something regional HOTties could help with, OSMTM job set up. will forward the ask to them
14:40:14 <Tyler_Radford> thanks mkl
14:40:32 <russdeffner> will note that in the summary - too late for the bot :)
14:41:01 <russdeffner> Tyler - I believe this topic is also you?
14:41:45 <Tyler_Radford> We published this today: http://hotosm.org/updates/2015-07-14_nepal_earthquake_a_note_of_thanks_to_hot%E2%80%99s_aerial_imagery_providers
14:42:24 <russdeffner> #info Blog/update was posted today
14:42:46 <Tyler_Radford> Will be sending short email notes to those mentioned in the article. If you are the point of contact for any of the providers mentioned let's coordinate if you would like to forward the note directly
14:42:52 <enock4seth> Hello
14:43:28 <russdeffner> hello enock4seth
14:43:49 <danbjoseph> @Tyler_Radford if you need someone to setup a project on the tasking manager, I can help
14:43:52 <russdeffner> this is the AWG meeting, we are currently on item 6 of this agenda: https://hackpad.com/Activation-Working-Group-July-14-2015-Meeting-Agenda-VySQolsytmh
14:43:55 <mataharimhairi> did the blog post get tweeted?
14:44:18 <mataharimhairi> i feel that reaches and informs a lot more people about our blog :)
14:44:20 <Tyler_Radford> Not yet mataharimhairi but will be doing that after this meeting :-)
14:45:24 <Tyler_Radford> We can go to next item if no other comments
14:45:29 <russdeffner> #info Tyler asks points of contact of providers mentioned to coordinate with him for forwarding note directly
14:45:48 <russdeffner> ok, moving on...
14:45:49 <mataharimhairi> excellent. was just about to do it from my personal account. but @hotosm is much better!
14:46:05 <russdeffner> #topic Status update on after action review sessions
14:46:42 <russdeffner> also Tyler?
14:46:47 <Tyler_Radford> cristiano held a great and productive Nepal after action review session last Friday. cristiano - any updates you want to share
14:48:44 <russdeffner> #info Cristiano held great and productive Nepal AAR last Friday
14:48:52 <Tyler_Radford> While he is typing.. Blake is also working on setting up some other after-action review sessions, but those may not get scheduled till he's back from travelling
14:48:56 <cristiano> Haven't had time to review notes and publish a summary yet, but it's on my list for this week. Main discussion was about having clear priority input from HOT activation coordination, being able to quickly view available imagery and then have a tasking system to know who's processing what.
14:49:59 <russdeffner> #info Blake scheduling more AAR sessions for after his current travelling
14:50:04 <cristiano> I am also drafting an imagery-coord ToR document that will help to define the scope and describe the workflow
14:50:45 <russdeffner> great cristiano - that should plug-in nicely with the activation training curriculum for the Imagery role
14:52:45 <russdeffner> #info Cristiano will publish a summary soon and is drafting an imagery-coord ToR document
14:52:51 <russdeffner> anything else on this topic?
14:53:38 <russdeffner> ok, moving on...
14:53:58 <russdeffner> #topic Discuss Agenda and Documentation Platform(s)
14:54:17 <russdeffner> cristiano would you like to start?
14:54:51 <cristiano> sure - simply just move to every two weeks during non-activation periods
14:55:01 <russdeffner> oh, that's next :)
14:55:12 <russdeffner> this is for switching to gdocs/HOT drive
14:56:00 <Tyler_Radford> On this topic, basically HOT has created a new Google drive structure which will be publicly accessible to the community
14:56:19 <russdeffner> I do have some counter-arguments...
14:56:20 <Tyler_Radford> We are suggesting keeping Working Group documents there as well for ease of access
14:56:28 <enock4seth> Cool.
14:56:45 <russdeffner> 1 - I'm with dodobas in his reply for switching the Tech WG
14:57:07 <russdeffner> we have long history/complete history on our wiki-page
14:57:35 <russdeffner> so I would say that if we switch to anything, it's back to just doing the agenda on the wiki-page
14:57:45 <cristiano> Russ - note that gdocs will only be for agendas and notes, and is no different than hackpad
14:58:04 <russdeffner> 2 - Hackpad allows me to see who wrote what agenda items much more easily than gdocs
14:58:08 <Tyler_Radford> Right - the thought is that we can keep the existing Wiki.
14:58:21 <cristiano> I disagree, as gdocs/hackpad gives a better way for live notes and collaboration
14:58:48 <russdeffner> 3 - We are now using this IRC bot to take minutes
14:58:48 <cristiano> gdocs allows the same thing with the "comment" mode
14:59:01 <cristiano> then you can see who writes what
14:59:19 <russdeffner> cristiano - oh, maybe I will explore that
14:59:22 <cristiano> ircbot is separate from the hackpad/gdoc discussion
15:00:07 <russdeffner> 4 - the WGs are a bridge from 'internal' (good for the HOT Drive) and the community, who often despise google and won't want to participate in agenda's there
15:00:55 <cristiano> the hot gdrive is public
15:01:16 <enock4seth> cristiano I think the Wiki "History" is better than that of gdocs
15:01:21 <russdeffner> 5 - the groups that use the gdocs for agenda have a tendency to also turn that into the minutes/summary - works great for those who have 'built-that-system'
15:02:08 <cristiano> enock4seth: we are not suggesting to use gdocs instead of the wiki for that scope
15:02:10 <russdeffner> but some of these groups have 'finally' got their members to 'look-in-one-place' and not that I'm completey opposed, but changing that will cause some confusion/frustration
15:02:28 <cristiano> gdocs only for agendas in this case, just to avoid fragementation in hackpad
15:02:52 <russdeffner> @cristiano - it's less about it being public or not; more about how the larger OSM community likes Open Source
15:02:56 <enock4seth> cristiano I got it.
15:03:00 <russdeffner> 6 - Hackpad is now Open Source
15:04:14 <Tyler_Radford> I think the challenge we're trying to address is lack of a single location where we can review meeting agendas from prior weeks
15:04:33 <cristiano> can't disagree with the open source point, but we need to find a balance with efficiency and organization of scattered documents
15:04:41 <cristiano> exactly
15:04:51 <Tyler_Radford> Under the current system, lots of searching to find the previous agenda
15:04:54 <mataharimhairi> i agree. there is no system for documentation which makes it hard to follow
15:04:59 <russdeffner> not sure it will happen
15:05:01 <Tyler_Radford> Would be nice to have them all in a folder
15:05:17 <russdeffner> we also need to respect what the wg leads have choosen for their platforms
15:05:22 <Tyler_Radford> Sorry to jump out at an exciting time.. need to run to next meeting
15:05:26 <russdeffner> I really don't like how the Comm WG uses Skype
15:05:28 <russdeffner> but I deal
15:05:41 <cristiano> (btw https://github.com/hackpad/hackpad is empty or am I missing something?)
15:06:17 <RAytoun> Then all that is needed is a single page with the links to all the various docs for that meeting.
15:06:19 <russdeffner> I haven't explored, just got the message from them that it is now OS, maybe they haven't ported yet
15:06:38 <mataharimhairi> WG can use different platforms, but perhaps the introduction of one consistent form for the agenda isn't asking too much?
15:06:47 <russdeffner> I would say the single source should be: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups
15:07:31 <mataharimhairi> Perhaps this is something that needs to be voted on by all the WG's?
15:07:47 <russdeffner> or 'forced' upon us by the ED, Board or Membership :)
15:08:08 <mataharimhairi> Can we make a note of it in the meeting notes to follow up on
15:08:21 <russdeffner> sure
15:08:46 <cristiano> The ED and board could probably make their argument for resource consolidation more clear in a post to all WGs
15:09:14 <cristiano> explaining the pros/cons and why we have chosen gdrive for his
15:09:25 <cristiano> *this
15:10:12 <russdeffner> #idea ED and Board should discuss and/or decide and then let all WG Leads know their decision and/or which platform(s) and why
15:11:00 <russdeffner> to clarify cristiano - the WG structure was set before this whole HOT Drive thing
15:11:30 <russdeffner> I'd have to search but I'm pretty sure the Board resolution stated that each group could choose their own methods for notes, etc
15:12:28 <russdeffner> so it may take a reversal of that resolution to 'assimalate' everyone into the Drive - and there will be push-back, I can garauntee it
15:12:51 <russdeffner> anyway, any last thoughts on this?
15:13:20 <cristiano> that's probably true, and let me clarify that we are not trying to assimilate anyone, but just suggesting a more organized way which is in line with what HOT is doing internally
15:13:50 <russdeffner> yes, but if it includes the word 'google' then the OS crowd will throw a fit :)
15:13:53 <cristiano> and I would strongly advocate that it's each WGs decision to what platform and tools to use
15:13:58 <mataharimhairi> exactly. things are constantly in change within organisations. especially a growing one like HOT
15:14:35 <mataharimhairi> but we definitely don't want to assimilate anyone, so approaching the topic and seeing how people react to our attempt to become more organised will shed some light
15:15:23 <mataharimhairi> moving forward is never negative. we just have to make sure we do it appropriately and address the board resolution if need be :)
15:15:24 <cristiano> I know the 'google' feeling and if it's too much to have agendas there, then I'm happy to go with the majority's decision
15:16:18 <russdeffner> ok, for us are we asking to 'vote' on this now?
15:16:34 <cristiano> here or on the list?
15:17:02 <russdeffner> sorry, let me say that a bit differently
15:17:38 <cristiano> I have to go now, sorry, that's also why I'm suggesting to move this meeting to 16:00UTC ;-)
15:17:46 <russdeffner> Is there a motion to be heard or are we satisfied with the one idea above?
15:18:09 <mataharimhairi> we should definitely present the case for it to the WG's and get everyone to vote on it.
15:18:57 <mataharimhairi> I say no to 1600 UTC! That's midnight here :/
15:19:06 <russdeffner> mataharimhairi - currently each wg is independant according to a resolution from the HOT Board of 2014 - I could try to track down the meeting minutes if you'd like
15:19:08 <mataharimhairi> actually I have to go as well
15:19:21 <russdeffner> that is the next item, please can we resolve this one first
15:19:25 <mataharimhairi> whoops sorry. didn't mean to cut you off
15:19:42 <enock4seth> Am ok with 1400 and 1600 UTC same time in Ghana
15:20:13 <russdeffner> so they would all need to independently decide to switch, or the Board would need to decide on the switch
15:20:51 <mataharimhairi> russdeffner i don't think we can resolve this now, as i personally do not know enough of what was originally decided by the board
15:20:54 <russdeffner> and maybe the membership would rescind, etc. - i.e. I guess we need to suggest an agenda item for the Board, maybe via Tyler
15:21:20 <mataharimhairi> my suggestion would be to address the WG first to see how they feel about the use of google docs
15:21:21 <russdeffner> #action Russell to follow-up with Tyler about a possible Board agenda item
15:21:28 <mataharimhairi> and then go to the board if neccessary
15:21:33 <russdeffner> ok, let's move on (since your all there anyone)
15:21:38 <russdeffner> *anyway
15:21:51 <russdeffner> #topic Discuss AWG Schedule
15:22:15 <russdeffner> the suggestion from cristiano is to move to every two weeks at 1600
15:22:30 <russdeffner> from the comments above, I think the 1600 change is not well recieved
15:22:52 <russdeffner> it is not good for the East Asia participants
15:23:20 <russdeffner> but, what are the thoughts on moving to every-two weeks?
15:23:35 <cristiano> Can we alternate at least?
15:23:45 <cristiano> 14 and 16?
15:24:20 <russdeffner> I think this group has enough of a constant workload to justify every week at least until the protocol and curriculum is done...
15:24:32 <cristiano> 14UTC is 7AM here and I have to deal with two kids at the same time :-(
15:24:36 <russdeffner> i.e. I will probably be asking for lots of review, etc.
15:24:50 <enock4seth> Alternating sound somehow ok as it favors some participants sometimes.
15:24:52 <russdeffner> I think alternating is something we could explore
15:25:22 <russdeffner> just FYI, the Training WG has struggled with that
15:25:25 <enock4seth> 2 weeks is not ok
15:26:41 <mataharimhairi> i was going to say a 'definite' yes to having the meetings bi-weekly
15:26:42 <russdeffner> so, I also have to go soon; so I think this is also something that needs to be tabled until more people can weigh in
15:27:05 <mataharimhairi> and if necessary alternating the times between 1400 and 1600 UTC
15:27:33 <mataharimhairi> which will proabably mean that i just miss some, but can pass on important messages via other means and review meeting notes accordingly
15:27:38 <russdeffner> I also say if we alternate, we should go for a bigger change
15:27:57 <russdeffner> also it will really depend on me and Blake as leads
15:28:17 <mataharimhairi> agreed re bigger change since east asian participants will miss out anyways
15:29:44 <russdeffner> #idea continue agenda platform and potential scheduling change on activation@
15:30:22 <russdeffner> *discussion should have been in there somewhere :)
15:30:31 <russdeffner> any other business?
15:31:01 <russdeffner> going twice...
15:31:36 <enock4seth> seems we're done
15:31:42 <russdeffner> #endmeeting