Humanitarian OSM Team/Working groups/Activation/meeting 2015-08-18

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Activation WG Meeting Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 14:00 UTC

Participants - IRC handle (lines said)

russdeffner (88), BlakeGirardot (28), mataharimhairi (13)

Links mentioned in meeting

Meeting Agenda

  • Agenda used was this hackpad.
  • Review last meeting minutes [1]
    • still slowly progressing on concluding the Vanuatu and Ebola Activations (russdeffner, 14:03:02)
  • Any pressing needs (russdeffner, 14:09:24)
    • ACTION: Blake to review Myanmar projects and reconnect with requesting organization (russdeffner, 14:24:36)
  • Activation Protocol and Curriculum Update (russdeffner, 14:27:20)
    • Protocol has been reviewed by the Board and adjusts were made based on their comments (russdeffner, 14:28:06)
    • Activation Curriculum is progressing, all Moodle courses are in development and no longer accessible as guest (russdeffner, 14:30:02)
    • Beta launch of the HOT Training Center scheduled for the end of this week/beginning of next (russdeffner, 14:30:44)
  • Any Other Business (russdeffner, 14:49:56)


14:01:00 <russdeffner> #startmeeting 18 August Activation Working Group
14:01:00 <hot_meetbot`> Meeting started Tue Aug 18 14:01:00 2015 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes. The chair is russdeffner. Information about MeetBot at
14:01:00 <hot_meetbot`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
14:01:00 <hot_meetbot`> The meeting name has been set to '18_august_activation_working_group'
14:01:15 <russdeffner> hello all, we're getting the AWG meeting started
14:01:22 <russdeffner> the agenda is...
14:01:24 <russdeffner>
14:01:36 <russdeffner> #topic Review Last Week
14:01:58 <russdeffner> not a lot of action/follow-up from last week...
14:02:00 <russdeffner>
14:03:02 <russdeffner> #info still slowly progressing on concluding the Vanuatu and Ebola Activations
14:03:07 <BlakeGirardot> Hola
14:03:47 <russdeffner> Tyler is on vacation and Mhairi and I are swamped at the moment, so it will probably be some time before we finally wrap those projects
14:04:38 <russdeffner> any other 'news'/follow-up?
14:04:42 <russdeffner> Hi Blake
14:05:09 <BlakeGirardot> How does contact with the people on the ground fit into wrapping up Ebola?
14:05:26 <BlakeGirardot> I think the travel times/road conditions project is still on going
14:06:10 <russdeffner> I forget the details, some is documented back a few meetings ago
14:07:01 <russdeffner> but in a nutshell, Tyler was following up on that and working with some regional HOTties to potentially transition to the local community
14:07:23 <BlakeGirardot> Ok, we should follow up with Andrew I guess to see if we can get some specific contacts just to make sure there is not anything we can keep working on after the full activation has concluded.
14:07:52 <russdeffner> oh, I'm sure there will be plenty of mapping to continue in west africa
14:08:05 <BlakeGirardot> I have a really strong desire to get the road conditions project actually completed as I think it applies to lots of places we work.
14:08:24 <BlakeGirardot> one sec, brb
14:08:27 <russdeffner> ok, maybe good transition to topic 2
14:08:51 <russdeffner> anything else on item 1?
14:09:24 <russdeffner> #topic Any pressing needs
14:09:48 <russdeffner> so, Blake, would you say there is pressing needs for completing the Ebola response then?
14:11:33 <russdeffner> or if Blake is still stepped away, anyone else have pressing needs for any of the current Disaster Mapping projects?
14:11:35 <BlakeGirardot> I think for sure we should try and either close it
14:11:51 <BlakeGirardot> or review and focus
14:12:05 <BlakeGirardot> at least come up with some formal status for it.
14:13:10 <russdeffner> yes, I think that is what Tyler is working on
14:13:33 <russdeffner> and I think it was Enock who was helping 'take the lead' locally
14:13:40 <BlakeGirardot> ok, i'll follow up with tyler when he gets back
14:13:42 <russdeffner> but I don't see him on here today
14:14:22 <russdeffner> but maybe some messaging about the road condition project you mentioned?
14:14:53 <BlakeGirardot> Ok
14:16:49 <russdeffner> anything the group can help with?
14:17:50 <BlakeGirardot> No I don't think so, I have to catch up with Andrew and see what he thinks.
14:17:53 <BlakeGirardot> Or Pierre
14:18:23 <russdeffner> ok, sounds good
14:18:36 <russdeffner> anything with Myanmar or other projects?
14:19:26 <BlakeGirardot> I have not looked until now, but I see the last Myanmar project is 100% done and validated
14:19:34 <BlakeGirardot> so it will need someone to review that
14:19:48 <BlakeGirardot> Which I am planning on doing
14:19:59 <BlakeGirardot> and following up with the Myanmar folks on the ground
14:20:05 <BlakeGirardot> to see if they have any feedback.
14:20:13 <russdeffner> oh, great
14:20:41 <BlakeGirardot> Ya, that is great
14:20:50 <BlakeGirardot> really nice to see it
14:22:11 <russdeffner> it does seem there are plenty of mappers out there listening, so I think my theory is sound: if you're 'leading' a project, keep making asks
14:22:23 <BlakeGirardot> Yes, I thought the same thing.
14:22:28 <russdeffner> until it is done
14:22:42 <russdeffner> think people just 'get bored' or distracted
14:23:10 <russdeffner> and a quick email, tweet, etc. get's them back pretty easily
14:23:51 <russdeffner> now we just have to figure out how to prevent our project leads from getting bored/distracted :)
14:24:36 <russdeffner> #action Blake to review Myanmar projects and reconnect with requesting organization
14:24:45 <russdeffner> anything else on item 2?
14:25:10 <BlakeGirardot> I received some questions about Ecuador
14:25:34 <BlakeGirardot> but the imagery is pretty bad so I am reluctant to do a causal project, especially since a lot of data is survey data
14:25:36 <russdeffner> oh, yes - I heard something - was it a volcano?
14:25:40 <BlakeGirardot> that already exists.
14:25:49 <BlakeGirardot> Yes
14:26:37 <russdeffner> ok, I guess that should be 'new business' if you want to discuss a new Activation/project
14:26:53 <russdeffner> so let me move on, last call for pressing needs?
14:27:20 <russdeffner> #topic Activation Protocol and Curriculum Update
14:27:36 <russdeffner> so just some quick info's and then I can answer any questions
14:28:06 <russdeffner> #info Protocol has been reviewed by the Board and adjusts were made based on their comments
14:28:50 <russdeffner> Katja, Blake and myself worked on that last week and sent the updated version back for hopefully some sort of 'final' "Version 1" approval
14:29:10 <russdeffner> I think we'll see some versioning in that docment over the years :)
14:30:02 <russdeffner> #info Activation Curriculum is progressing, all Moodle courses are in development and no longer accessible as guest
14:30:15 <russdeffner> now that I'm putting in the 'real' test questions
14:30:44 <russdeffner> #info Beta launch of the HOT Training Center scheduled for the end of this week/beginning of next
14:31:28 <russdeffner> currently have the Activation 101 course ready for Beta and had thought of launching yesterday, but second thought led to waiting...
14:31:48 <russdeffner> it's actually really quick if you've been following along in protocol development
14:32:14 <russdeffner> so didn't want a bunch of people waiting (possibly impatiently) for more
14:32:50 <russdeffner> so now I think I'll 'release' Activation 101 on Friday, with the others starting either the weekend or maybe Monday the 24th
14:33:05 <mataharimhairi> excellent!
14:33:28 <mataharimhairi> so I can give it a go on Friday, and try out the others on Monday?
14:34:08 <russdeffner> actually you should be able to access now
14:34:19 <russdeffner> I think you have "manager" permission on moodle
14:34:41 <russdeffner> another note - I reduced the amount of "site administrators"
14:35:10 <russdeffner> really most people should only need "Teacher" status if you want to help build/maintain/test content
14:35:32 <russdeffner> if for some reason you really need/want manager or site admin, email me
14:35:57 <mataharimhairi> to be honest I would like to test it as a user - is that possible yet?
14:36:26 <russdeffner> yes, moodle is great about that
14:36:52 <russdeffner> when you're logged into a course, you should see a way to 'switch roles'
14:37:14 <russdeffner> just set yourself as student to test that 'mode'
14:38:07 <russdeffner> I also have a couple 'TestStudent' accounts
14:38:38 <russdeffner> I went through the whole process of registering as new, etc.
14:39:13 <mataharimhairi> that's great! thank you Russell. I will give it a go, and even get my dad (a complete newbie) to try it out ;) 14:39:42 <russdeffner> everything seems to be in order, and I reviewed the site settings, etc - think we have it secured and we're not collecting much information so worst case is we 'leak' emails
14:40:28 <russdeffner> once we get the domain transfer done, I'll work with dodobas to see about SSL, etc.
14:40:55 <russdeffner> I don't think I have much more info
14:41:17 <russdeffner> I did have to 'trim all the fat' from development
14:41:27 <russdeffner> meaning, LearnOSM content, graphics and badges
14:41:31 <russdeffner> are all secondary
14:41:41 <russdeffner> and will get added once the core content is complete
14:41:50 <mataharimhairi> well the core functionality is most important
14:42:07 <mataharimhairi> and we can work on trimmings in-between workshops
14:42:15 <russdeffner> yes, exactly
14:42:38 <russdeffner> still not sure about geobadges, I looked at what is available when we log-in as 'creator'
14:42:56 <russdeffner> and it seems they do the graphic design...
14:43:08 <russdeffner> and you have to go to their site to 'claim' the badge
14:43:19 <mataharimhairi> isnt the default with moodle openbadges?
14:43:34 <russdeffner> where ideally, and the 'out of box' moodle open badge system we can 'award upon completion, etc'
14:43:41 <russdeffner> yep
14:43:54 <mataharimhairi> i thought we were going to go with the 'out-of-the-box' option for efficiency at this point
14:44:31 <mataharimhairi> and look at integrating openbadges at a later state once more investigation has been done - and time permits ;)
14:44:32 <russdeffner> yes, but then it seemed after the meeting with Jon that I missed that maybe we were getting somewhere with geobadges
14:45:09 <russdeffner> but yes, in general - as time permits we would like to do some 'cross-promotion' with geobadges
14:45:10 <mataharimhairi> ahhhh, yes. given the time frame, it would be best not to wait on them and go with what we know works
14:45:43 <mataharimhairi> sounds like you got it all sorted
14:45:53 <russdeffner> but at this point I'll just be happy if both the moodle quizing and assignment submission work the way I intend
14:46:18 <mataharimhairi> just need our weekly chat to be fully updated
14:46:53 <russdeffner> so far, so good, but until we have some Activators to do the 'peer endorsement' piece then it might take some tweaking
14:47:25 <russdeffner> yep, will be good to chat this week; and of course we'll have a week to test before the first workshop
14:47:50 <russdeffner> as well as the two workshops and prettty much all of September to get it 'worked out'
14:48:07 <mataharimhairi> its looking good :)
14:48:08 <russdeffner> anything else on item 3?
14:48:43 <russdeffner> yes, starting to go quicker now that I've got a better understanding of the billion settings in moodle
14:49:50 <russdeffner> ok, moving on to...
14:49:56 <russdeffner> #topic Any Other Business
14:50:10 <russdeffner> Does anyone have new business for the AWG?
14:51:02 <russdeffner> BlakeGirardot - would you like to discuss Ecuador now?
14:52:39 <russdeffner> sorry, chatting w/ Blake on Mumble...
14:52:52 <BlakeGirardot> sorry,
14:53:14 <BlakeGirardot> I don't have much more on Ecuador, Fofana asked me if we could do anything, but I don't think we can at the moment as I mentioned above.
14:53:23 <BlakeGirardot> No requests from organizations that I know of.
14:53:43 <russdeffner> ok, I guess just email the AWG list if something happens there
14:55:29 <russdeffner> ok, going twice on 'any other business' for the AWG
14:56:12 <russdeffner> #endmeeting