Humanitarian OSM Team/Working groups/Activation/meeting 2015-08-25

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Activation WG Meeting Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 14:00 UTC

Participants - IRC handle (lines said)

russdeffner (75), mataharimhairi (18), BlakeGirardot__ (8)

Links mentioned in meeting

Meeting Summary

  • Agenda used was this hackpad.
  • Review Last Week's Summary (russdeffner, 14:01:48)
    • No new information, but Vanuatu and Ebola Activations are still in the process of concluding (russdeffner, 14:03:10)
    • Still working on Myanmar project, Blake to follow-up with requesting org (russdeffner, 14:05:14)
    • Really impressive response from a lot of the HOT remote mapping community. (BlakeGirardot__, 14:05:51)
    • The Activation Protocol is now 'live', and has a 'permanent' home (russdeffner, 14:06:06)
  • Any Pressing Needs (russdeffner, 14:08:49)
  • HOT Training Center (russdeffner, 14:10:49)
    • The HOT Training Center will be tested live during a two-day workshop in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania as part of the 'hackdays' before the Africa Open Data Conference, September 2-5 (russdeffner, 14:26:23)
    • The second workshop in Jakarta, Indonesia on September 18-20 will be more 'full' training (russdeffner, 14:27:31)

IRC Log

14:01:16 <russdeffner> #startmeeting 25 August Activation Working Group Meeting
14:01:16 <hot_meetbot`> Meeting started Tue Aug 25 14:01:16 2015 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes. The chair is russdeffner. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:01:16 <hot_meetbot`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
14:01:16 <hot_meetbot`> The meeting name has been set to '25_august_activation_working_group_meeting'
14:01:33 <russdeffner> agenda is here: https://hackpad.com/Activation-Working-Group-August-25-2015-Meeting-Agenda-wr9KfoQCvHr
14:01:48 <russdeffner> #topic Review Last Week's Summary
14:02:05 <russdeffner> last week's summary is...
14:02:06 <russdeffner> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Activation/meeting_2015-08-18
14:02:40 <russdeffner> sorry to just keep this floating, but...
14:03:10 <russdeffner> #info No new information, but Vanuatu and Ebola Activations are still in the process of concluding
14:03:27 <russdeffner> or being transitioned to local community
14:03:47 <BlakeGirardot__> So I move accept the minutes as presented
14:04:07 <russdeffner> do you have any info on Myanmar?
14:04:27 <russdeffner> or want to make agenda item for it seperately?
14:04:34 <BlakeGirardot__> No, I need to follow up with my contact
14:04:38 <russdeffner> I have one more info point befor we move on
14:05:14 <russdeffner> #info Still working on Myanmar project, Blake to follow-up with requesting org
14:05:51 <BlakeGirardot__> #info Really impressive response from a lot of the HOT remote mapping community.
14:06:06 <russdeffner> #info The Activation Protocol is now 'live', and has a 'permanent' home here: http://hotosm.org/sites/default/files/HOTActivationProtocol.pdf
14:06:33 <russdeffner> of course it's related to the HOT Training Center and we'll get to that later
14:06:59 <russdeffner> so it's not quite 'in use' yet, since no one is 'officially' trained to put it in practice yet
14:07:23 <russdeffner> but that will start to change quickly once the HTC is 'fully functional'
14:07:38 <russdeffner> any other follow-up/unfinished business from last week?
14:08:49 <russdeffner> #topic Any Pressing Needs
14:09:05 <russdeffner> any pressing needs for any of the current Disaster Mapping projects?
14:10:18 <russdeffner> last call?
14:10:49 <russdeffner> #topic HOT Training Center
14:11:17 <russdeffner> Ok, the HTC has now been moved to its new URL...
14:11:25 <russdeffner> http://courses.hotosm.org/
14:12:34 <russdeffner> I think everything is 'good' except the Tasking role I will spend some time today 'polishing'
14:13:10 <russdeffner> Activation Leadership course basically is not available to anyone until they are 'endorsed' for one of the 'other 9 roles'
14:13:22 <russdeffner> and I'm still polishing that one as well
14:13:42 <russdeffner> the Activation Essentials course I have the exam to 'go live' in about 4 hours
14:13:58 <russdeffner> potentially we might have the badge ready, that is my hope
14:14:10 <russdeffner> will work on that basically right after this meeting
14:14:42 <russdeffner> then, 'step 1' will be complete and we can start building the Activation Roster with 'trainees'
14:15:06 <BlakeGirardot__> Nice, congrats russ
14:15:12 <russdeffner> so far, I'm pretty happy with allowing people to take the role courses without Activation Essentials
14:15:32 <russdeffner> but I think some people sort of skipped right over the whole concept that we now have 'procedures'
14:16:29 <russdeffner> side-note: I suggest everyone who is really invested in the idea of 'doing better' take the community care course, attention to the 'legal risks' lesson
14:17:05 <russdeffner> I know we like to avoid legal talk, but I actually learned a ton while building that course
14:17:44 <russdeffner> some may decide they don't really want to be on the Activation Team, because yes, you will have increased legal liability, fair warning
14:19:02 <russdeffner> I guess I didn't really have a plan for talking about the HTC today, any questions?
14:19:16 <BlakeGirardot__> How are the badges coming along?
14:19:19 <BlakeGirardot__> ;)
14:19:21 <russdeffner> :)
14:19:42 <russdeffner> well, a huge thank you again to Katja Ulbert for fantastic design work
14:20:22 <russdeffner> I actually had to go get vaccinated yesterday and was away from the office all day, so I think we were still discussing a few things
14:20:28 <BlakeGirardot__> I second that, Katja has done amazing work on the badges, the protocol and a few other important, time sensative projects in the past few weeks.
14:20:41 <russdeffner> but skimming my email last night/this morning it seems we are almost there
14:21:22 <russdeffner> so I do hope to at least get the badge for Activation Essentials built today, so we can at least see how that course goes from start to finish
14:21:46 <mataharimhairi> great work everyone!
14:21:47 <russdeffner> as Blake knows, we have a fairly complicated system of 'credentialing'
14:22:12 <mataharimhairi> honestly. it is all coming together great and I am really excited.
14:22:14 <russdeffner> so in all, I think there are 21 'certificates/badges'
14:22:30 <russdeffner> yes and a huge thanks to Mhairi and Blake
14:22:38 <russdeffner> wouldn't be this far without your help
14:22:38 <mataharimhairi> thank you katja, blake and russell
14:22:56 <mataharimhairi> its always a team effort - that's how HOT works :)
14:23:12 <russdeffner> of course I had to basically 'cutout' translation in my workload
14:23:44 <russdeffner> It would be great if we could start thinking/planning on translation but it's really beyond our means currently
14:24:11 <russdeffner> I'm hoping maybe the Transifex Live might work for this where it did not for LearnOSM
14:25:15 <russdeffner> So I guess to 'wrap-up' here is the 'production' schedule...
14:26:23 <mataharimhairi> perhaps the review and future planning/enhancements can be done between workshops?
14:26:23 <russdeffner> #info The HOT Training Center will be tested live during a two-day workshop in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania as part of the 'hackdays' before the Africa Open Data Conference, September 2-5
14:27:31 <russdeffner> #info The second workshop in Jakarta, Indonesia on September 18-20 will be more 'full' training
14:27:51 <russdeffner> yes, Mhairi, that would be great; not sure how much I'll be able to work on it between
14:28:17 <russdeffner> trying to set-up a 'mapathon'/OSM event in Ulaanbaatar on the 11th
14:28:32 <russdeffner> maybe could do some 'sprinting' that day
14:28:50 <russdeffner> otherwise, I'll be 'in transit' and probably not much online
14:29:08 <mataharimhairi> actually so will I and plan to take 3 days off
14:29:17 <mataharimhairi> we will figure it out
14:29:30 <mataharimhairi> probably best after the Jakarta workshop
14:30:00 <mataharimhairi> are you still going to post about the workshops as well?
14:30:34 <russdeffner> My goal/plan is to do one 'big' blog-post about the whole 'Disaster Mapping Program Overhaul'
14:30:47 <mataharimhairi> Sounds perfect
14:31:10 <russdeffner> oh, and not to be overlooked...
14:31:33 <russdeffner> A huge thank you to Adityo for helping build the 'simulation'/exercise component of the workshops
14:32:01 <russdeffner> or, I should have probably left out "helping"
14:32:16 <russdeffner> since it's really more Mhairi and myself helping him versus the other way round
14:32:21 <mataharimhairi> I am putting together a couple of documents: workshop details for the participants, a travel information pack and the workshop schedule for the trainers
14:32:32 <mataharimhairi> yes indeed
14:33:04 <mataharimhairi> thank you very much Adityo who has done an amazing job at developing the simulation exercise
14:33:06 <russdeffner> ok, great Mhairi - I think by the time of our weekly meeting we should just be hashing out those final details
14:33:44 <mataharimhairi> definitely. i believe our weekly catch-up will be a rather long session :)
14:34:31 <russdeffner> Ok, maybe start a bit earlier? anyway, we'll discuss more 'offline'
14:34:33 <BlakeGirardot__> I apologize, I have a hard stop 3 mins ago, thank you both for all the work on the AC curriculum, it turned out great! and if I don't see you before, safe travels.
14:34:45 <russdeffner> thanks Blake
14:35:07 <mataharimhairi> thank you Blake!
14:35:10 <russdeffner> I think unless there are questions, we can move to 'any other business'
14:36:35 <russdeffner> #topic Any Other Business
14:36:52 <russdeffner> anyone have new business they didn't get a chance to add to agenda?
14:37:44 <russdeffner> I'll just note that I'm both super excited and a bit terrified that we're making this 'overhaul' to the Disaster Mapping Program at HOT
14:38:07 <russdeffner> I think it's been a long-time coming and we've talked about a 'procedure' for many years now
14:38:27 <mataharimhairi> :)
14:39:02 <mataharimhairi> I haven't been in the community that long but am happy to be apart of it now
14:39:06 <russdeffner> The Activation Protocol definitely give us that finally, I just hope the training, etc. finds it's way into the daily lives/operations of our volunteers and is more help than burden
14:39:48 <mataharimhairi> And hope what we produced is a great starting point to only improve and keep evolving as the years go on
14:40:31 <russdeffner> unfortunately there is the 'legal reality' and now I see the protocol more as a safety net, protects both the volunteer who adheres to it, as well as HOT
14:41:17 <russdeffner> and I actually think the Community Care course went from 'through this in there' to 'most important course in the curriculum'
14:41:26 <russdeffner> *throw
14:42:37 <russdeffner> anyway, going once for any other business...
14:43:37 <russdeffner> going twice
14:44:12 <russdeffner> #endmeeting