Humanitarian OSM Team/Working groups/Activation/meeting 2015-10-06

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Activation WG Meeting Tuesday, October 6, 2015 - 14:00 UTC

Participants - IRC handle (lines said)

russdeffner (85), BlakeGirardot_ (64), adityo_90 (22), mkl (10), harry-wood1 (7), pgiraud (1)

Links mentioned in meeting

Meeting Summary

  • Agenda used was this hackpad...
  • Review Last Week and Unfinished Business (russdeffner, 14:01:30)
    • Re-launching recruitment for AWG co-lead (russdeffner, 14:05:01)
    • Still working on Phase III of Ebola and Vanuatu Activations (russdeffner, 14:05:49)
    • Work on creating TM Project Manager list in progress (russdeffner, 14:12:52)
      • ACTION: Adityo working on spreadsheet (russdeffner, 14:13:13)
      • ACTION: Blake working on email group (russdeffner, 14:13:27)
      • ACTION: Create messaging for joining the PM email group - Adityo, Blake, Russell (russdeffner, 14:34:54)
      • New HOT OSM Tasking Manager Project Manager list created - url to join:!forum/tm-project-managers (BlakeGirardot_, 14:35:28)
    • Still working on procedures for joining AWG mailing list (russdeffner, 14:38:49)
  • Any Pressing Needs (russdeffner, 14:40:38)
  • Missing Maps projects and GeoWeek (russdeffner, 14:42:07)
    • Suggestion for those working-on/learning Tasking/Project Management to work on MM/GeoWeek project creation/management (russdeffner, 14:59:31)
    • ACTION: Follow-up on AWG mailing-list (russdeffner, 14:59:51)
  • Any other Business (russdeffner, 15:00:42)
    • Final reports/messaging regarding Activation Curriculum coming soon (russdeffner, 15:01:19)


14:00:32 <russdeffner> #startmeeting Activation Working Group 6 October
14:00:32 <hot_meetbot`> Meeting started Tue Oct 6 14:00:32 2015 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes. The chair is russdeffner. Information about MeetBot at
14:00:32 <hot_meetbot`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
14:00:32 <hot_meetbot`> The meeting name has been set to 'activation_working_group_6_october'
14:00:54 <BlakeGirardot_> Hi
14:01:30 <russdeffner> #topic Review Last Week and Unfinished Business
14:01:55 <russdeffner> last week we had some new 'action'
14:02:04 <russdeffner>
14:02:42 <russdeffner> and we still have some 'unfinished business'
14:03:00 <russdeffner> which I'd actually like to 'revive' something from several months ago...
14:03:34 <russdeffner> still looking for a co-lead for this group
14:03:52 <russdeffner> since I'm doing such a great job with announcements/etc...
14:03:58 <BlakeGirardot_> ya, because I am a terrible one
14:04:16 <BlakeGirardot_> I am a net negative somehow :)
14:04:33 <russdeffner> :) appreciate the offer though, but in general I think we're both just overworked
14:05:01 <russdeffner> #info Re-launching recruitment for AWG co-lead
14:05:19 <russdeffner> also...
14:05:49 <russdeffner> #info Still working on Phase III of Ebola and Vanuatu Activations
14:06:28 <russdeffner> I don't see Mikel here
14:06:53 <russdeffner> anyone know if he got support with the project manager stuff?
14:07:11 <BlakeGirardot_> I do not know
14:07:51 <russdeffner> I did get a message from him that he didn't necessary want to 'sign-up' for the whole creating procedures aspect...
14:08:38 <russdeffner> just offered to do the initial step of creating the PM list
14:08:45 <russdeffner> oh, hello mkl
14:08:48 <mkl> hi
14:09:01 <BlakeGirardot_> I can create the pm list if that needs to be done, then someoen else can get people to sign up for it.
14:09:03 <russdeffner> was just noting the project manager stuff
14:09:11 <russdeffner> any follow-up?
14:09:17 <mkl> yes. Adityo and I talked about it
14:09:55 <mkl> and he was going to put together a spreadsheet with the list of all the PMs
14:10:11 <russdeffner> ok, great
14:10:16 <mkl> to work on gathering emails etc
14:10:20 <mkl> but I haven't seen anything further
14:10:29 <mkl> so if someone else wants to jump in and help us, that's great
14:10:40 <mkl> otherwise, I'll just ping Adityo for an update
14:10:56 <russdeffner> think he was on here a while ago, but looks like he recently left/dropped
14:11:04 <mkl> btw, starting a meeting in a minute, so may drop off suddenly
14:11:21 <russdeffner> ok - anything else regarding that project?
14:11:26 <BlakeGirardot_> so you want me to set up the email group?
14:11:26 <mkl> no
14:11:35 <BlakeGirardot_> and someone else populates it?
14:11:42 <mkl> sure BlakeGirardot_
14:11:44 <BlakeGirardot_> k
14:12:24 <BlakeGirardot_> lets also get a dump from the tm db of people with pm permissions and then see about gardening that list
14:12:38 <BlakeGirardot_> with a special emphasis on pruning.
14:12:52 <russdeffner> #info Work on creating TM Project Manager list in progress
14:13:13 <russdeffner> #action Adityo working on spreadsheet
14:13:27 <russdeffner> #action Blake working on email group
14:13:44 <russdeffner> does that about capture it?
14:14:46 <russdeffner> ah, hello Adityo - just covering the project manager stuff
14:15:11 <russdeffner> gave you 'action' regarding creating the spreadsheet
14:15:22 <adityo_90> Hi russel
14:15:39 <russdeffner> did you have anything to add/questions?
14:16:18 <adityo_90> Yes wait a minute
14:16:24 <russdeffner> sure
14:17:22 <adityo_90> So, im trying to create spreadsheet yesterday
14:17:36 <adityo_90> But i found that we cant get the user email adress
14:18:21 <adityo_90> We only can send message via openstreetmap
14:18:22 <russdeffner> ok, dang mkl said he had another meeting, looks like he just left
14:18:48 <BlakeGirardot_> yes, that is right adityo_90
14:19:05 <BlakeGirardot_> did you have access to the full list of project manager in the current tasking manager adityo_90 ?
14:19:23 <adityo_90> So, we will contact the user via osm message?
14:19:45 <adityo_90> Yes i have the access the full list
14:20:40 <BlakeGirardot_> I would like to look at it too adityo_90, how did you get it?
14:21:08 <adityo_90> I access via user list in tasks.manager
14:21:14 <BlakeGirardot_> Ya, I have this idea that we will try to contact all the users 3 times over 3 weeks, no reply = no longer a project manager in the tasking manager.
14:21:32 <BlakeGirardot_> all the project manager users i mean to say
14:21:49 <adityo_90> Yes and for the PM in user marked with star sign
14:22:13 <adityo_90> And for administrator is marked with golden star sign
14:22:17 <BlakeGirardot_> ya it will be a pain in the behind, but I don't see any other way
14:22:23 <BlakeGirardot_> other than contact them via osm
14:22:26 <adityo_90> Okay theb
14:22:29 <adityo_90> Then
14:22:39 <adityo_90> I will list all the user first
14:22:39 <BlakeGirardot_> but I think we can take the list and make it a list of urls to their pages on osm
14:22:55 <adityo_90> Yes that what im thinking now
14:23:07 <BlakeGirardot_>[username]/message or something like that
14:23:33 <adityo_90> OK
14:23:44 <BlakeGirardot_> lets put "URGENT" in the subject and ask them to send us their email address and we will add them to the group
14:23:56 <BlakeGirardot_> we can split the list in .... 3? .... ?
14:24:15 <adityo_90> Okay
14:25:09 <adityo_90> And i need help from you guys for the message format. Since i think i have a problem with grammar. So maybe i send the message format to you blake or russel before i send it to user
14:25:13 <russdeffner> I would suggest "IMPORTANT (maybe not even caps) the first two messages and URGENT only on the third
14:25:38 <russdeffner> would be happy to review/edit the message Adit
14:25:51 <adityo_90> Thanks russ
14:26:41 <BlakeGirardot_> mine are all goign to be urgent :)
14:26:53 <BlakeGirardot_> as I don't want ot have to send 3
14:27:51 <adityo_90> You mean that we will send 3 times @russdeffner?
14:28:03 <BlakeGirardot_> unless they reply the first time
14:28:06 <BlakeGirardot_> or the second time
14:28:06 <russdeffner> :) of course - but I forget what group it is, but I'm part of some group that like 1/2 of all emails say 'urgent', and now I ignore most of those messages all together
14:28:27 <russdeffner> so HOT should definitely not fall in the habit
14:28:41 <BlakeGirardot_> I just saying, 3 times and then they are not PMs anymore, they will get in touch with someone if they need those permissions back.
14:28:52 <adityo_90> Hmm okay
14:29:24 <BlakeGirardot_> We just don't have a lot of time to spend on sorting out 150 project managers, so they need to be sharp and paying attention.
14:29:25 <adityo_90> So, 2 times and the third times we will said if they need to permission, they need to contact someone
14:29:35 <BlakeGirardot_> adityo_90: yes, excellent idea
14:30:04 <BlakeGirardot_> You should all have the welcome message to the new TMPM list
14:30:12 <russdeffner> and do we have any messaging on the TM itself about how to become a PM?
14:30:28 <BlakeGirardot_> No, but people still ask, which is fine.
14:30:38 <BlakeGirardot_> via the standard info address
14:30:49 <BlakeGirardot_> if we make it too obvious we are going to get asked every day
14:31:03 <BlakeGirardot_> and then have to hem and haw and decide.
14:31:11 <russdeffner> ok, yes - maybe once we get procedures down we should open a ticket for something on the about page, etc.?
14:31:12 <BlakeGirardot_> people who have a need find a way
14:32:26 <russdeffner> was thinking if we 'require' the Tasking Course - that will maybe weed some out...
14:32:43 <BlakeGirardot_> that is a good idea either way
14:32:44 <russdeffner> and maybe we could also have some text about 'other instances' for non-disaster use?
14:33:10 <BlakeGirardot_> then we know they have the basics down and understand the process and considerations.
14:33:25 <russdeffner> anyway, think we are good for now on this follow-up item?
14:33:40 <russdeffner> next one will be a 'one-liner' :)
14:34:10 <russdeffner> oh, but I'll document...
14:34:54 <russdeffner> #action Create messaging for joining the PM email group - Adityo, Blake, Russell
14:35:04 <russdeffner> ready to move on?
14:35:27 <adityo_90> Ok
14:35:28 <BlakeGirardot_> #info New HOT OSM Tasking Manager Project Manager list created - url to join:!forum/tm-project-managers
14:35:57 <BlakeGirardot_> im done
14:36:01 <russdeffner> thanks Blake - I guess that brings a question...
14:36:13 <russdeffner> is that 'join-able' or do we have to add people?
14:36:54 <BlakeGirardot_> They can request membership
14:37:04 <BlakeGirardot_> but I was thinking we could add people as the main
14:37:13 <BlakeGirardot_> way to get people in, hopefully in response to our osm emails
14:37:28 <BlakeGirardot_> we are all managers of the list so can add people directly.
14:37:34 <russdeffner> ok, just wanted to know for creating the messaging
14:37:48 <BlakeGirardot_> I would just ask them to reply to us with their email so we can add them.
14:37:57 <russdeffner> so the last 'unfinished business/follow-up' is...
14:38:49 <russdeffner> #info Still working on procedures for joining AWG mailing list
14:39:30 <russdeffner> I just haven't had time yet for this, will get to it and once we are happy with 'onboarding' for new AWG folks, I'll post it on the wiki
14:40:01 <russdeffner> anything else regarding last week/unfinished business
14:40:05 <russdeffner> ?
14:40:38 <russdeffner> #topic Any Pressing Needs
14:40:49 <russdeffner> are there any pressing Disaster Mapping project neeeds?
14:41:46 <russdeffner> ok, didn't think so
14:42:07 <russdeffner> #topic Missing Maps projects and GeoWeek
14:42:31 <BlakeGirardot_> So I just wanted to mention that for people interested in doing more
14:42:36 <BlakeGirardot_> activation coordination
14:42:54 <BlakeGirardot_> and/or project management in the hot osm tasking manager
14:43:16 <BlakeGirardot_> putting together some sort of project for Missing Maps and/or GeoWeek would be a great opportunity
14:43:39 <russdeffner> that's a great idea...
14:43:52 <BlakeGirardot_> and if they could do it at a university, ARC will send them a care package of fun stuff of some sort
14:44:01 <russdeffner> I'll be helping with GIS Day here in Colorado and we haven't selected a project yet
14:44:07 <BlakeGirardot_> anywhere around the worlds
14:44:48 <BlakeGirardot_> ya, so maybe we partner up, someone working on learning more about leading/running mapping projects
14:45:05 <BlakeGirardot_> creates the project and someone doing a mapping party helps them map it
14:45:25 <BlakeGirardot_> I am mainly thinking about people you might have worked with in dar or jakarta
14:45:38 <russdeffner> sure, would gladly support someone elses project if they have a good one and want 30-40 people helping from CSU
14:45:41 <BlakeGirardot_> or any of the other people workign on the training courses
14:46:00 <BlakeGirardot_> hey, make sure you get arc goodie package if you are doing one at a U
14:46:42 <harry-wood1> hey guys
14:46:50 <russdeffner> hello Harry
14:46:56 <harry-wood1> I'm all set for a Missing Maps meet-up tonight at the facebook offices in London
14:47:19 <pgiraud> harry-wood1, nice!
14:47:24 <harry-wood1> Then there's another one kicking off at RedCross in DC
14:48:03 <harry-wood1> I'm not sure who's in charge of setting up/picking TM projects for these events this time round
14:48:04 <russdeffner> oh, I see people can request to join the PM group :)
14:48:10 <BlakeGirardot_> harry-wood1: Did you get any feedback or invovlement with the HP mapathon today?
14:48:17 <BlakeGirardot_> I added harry-wood1
14:48:30 <BlakeGirardot_> HP MM mapathon
14:48:30 <harry-wood1> Nope. that's happening in London too. Don't know what it is to be honest.
14:49:07 <harry-wood1> if it's not on the list, then I don't know about it :-)
14:49:15 <BlakeGirardot_> I see.
14:49:54 <harry-wood1> but yeah. I saw a tweet:
14:50:12 <russdeffner> regarding GeoWeek, think Dale is basically on the 'organizing committee'
14:50:43 <russdeffner> and from what I know, it's basically up to the individual locations to pick a project
14:51:22 <russdeffner> we were throwing around the idea of a 'map-off' between some Universities in CO, but don't think that's going to happen now
14:52:03 <russdeffner> would have been fun, since there are actually some 'rivals' in the HOT community (CU vs CSU) :)
14:52:26 <BlakeGirardot_> Anyway, I didn't mean to side track us, I just see MM and GeoWeek as great opportunities for people who want to do some practicle stuff for the AC training / learning process.
14:53:10 <russdeffner> yes, do you want to 'info' this or should we come up with an action?
14:53:44 <BlakeGirardot_> I think the action would be to let people know this is a good chance to do something.
14:54:24 <russdeffner> as in someone create an email, or just noted for AWG?
14:55:13 <BlakeGirardot_> Definately first step was to tell this group
14:55:31 <BlakeGirardot_> do we have email address for people doing the training courses or easy way to eamil them?
14:56:16 <russdeffner> last I know they were still working on a website for registering events
14:57:14 <russdeffner> oh sorry, are you asking if we can contact HOT Training Center participants?
14:57:16 <BlakeGirardot_> i meant the hot training center, can we send an email to those participants.
14:57:22 <russdeffner> yes
14:58:22 <BlakeGirardot_> Lets follow up on this on the awg email list
14:58:31 <russdeffner> ok, sounds good
14:59:31 <russdeffner> #info Suggestion for those working-on/learning Tasking/Project Management to work on MM/GeoWeek project creation/management
14:59:51 <russdeffner> #action Follow-up on AWG mailing-list
15:00:02 <russdeffner> anything else on this item?
15:00:42 <russdeffner> #topic Any other Business
15:00:52 <russdeffner> I have just one quick AOB...
15:01:19 <russdeffner> #info Final reports/messaging regarding Activation Curriculum coming soon
15:02:04 <russdeffner> Hopefully in the next several weeks you'll see some 'final' messaging coming out regarding the protocol/HOT Training Center/etc.
15:02:26 <russdeffner> But, the HTC is ready and waiting for participants..
15:02:40 <russdeffner> earn some badges, get on the roster, etc.
15:03:06 <russdeffner> that's it for me, unless any questions around AC?
15:03:39 <russdeffner> Anyone else have business for the Activation Working Group?
15:04:12 <russdeffner> Going twice...
15:04:42 <russdeffner> Thank you everyone!
15:04:46 <russdeffner> #endmeeting