Humanitarian OSM Team/Working groups/Governance/2015-07-17

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Governance Working Group informational meeting on Friday 17 July 2015

Agenda

Add your agenda items to this editable document

Minutes

  1. Review Last Meeting Minutes
    1. On Item #2 - we did complete our new member election and held the special meeting on 13 February 2015 (russdeffner, 14:07:54)
    2. On Item #3 - we just got the email list/google group set-up, and the ToR is on the agenda for today (russdeffner, 14:08:50)
    3. On Item #4 - Jaakko actually followed-up on this item and has a draft catalog going in google docs (russdeffner, 14:09:50)
  2. Group and Mailing List (russdeffner, 14:11:39)
    1. We now have a group and mailing list for the GWG, https://groups.google.com/a/hotosm.org/forum/?hl=en#!forum/governance (russdeffner, 14:12:24)
  3. Switching to Google Docs for agenda/minutes (russdeffner, 14:13:38)
    1. IDEA: Suggest we move towards having a gdoc for agenda and minutes, linked from GWG wiki-page rather than having agenda/minutes on the wiki itself (russdeffner, 14:15:44)
  4. Task from Voting Members (russdeffner, 14:16:03)
    1. At the 27 June 2015 meeting of the voting members, they resolved to refer 'new member election' process to the GWG (russdeffner, 14:17:04)
    2. IDEA: Start a gdoc for working on the procedures asynchronously (russdeffner, 14:18:18)
  5. Drafting Terms of Reference (russdeffner, 14:18:40)
    1. Now that the GWG group/mailing list is set-up, I will ask people to join so we can keep the communication/work going between meetings (russdeffner, 14:20:29)
  6. Next meeting/possible regular schedule (russdeffner, 14:20:51)
    1. item tabled (russdeffner, 14:21:38)

IRC Transcript

14:02:36 <russdeffner> #startmeeting 17 July Governance Working Group
14:02:36 <hot_meetbot`> Meeting started Fri Jul 17 14:02:36 2015 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes. The chair is russdeffner. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:02:36 <hot_meetbot`> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
14:02:36 <hot_meetbot`> The meeting name has been set to '17_july_governance_working_group'
14:03:07 <russdeffner> hi, if you'd like to participate in the Gov WG meeting, just say hello or anything else and the bot will record your attendance
14:03:44 <russdeffner> the agenda is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ulfkyp1jMcZXAeg24wFlZgwPQzdT5mjth8hpvIZiX74
14:04:56 <russdeffner> Our last meeting was way back in December, please take a look at those minutes
14:05:12 <russdeffner> I'll document what I know of the progress on those action items...
14:07:54 <russdeffner> #info On Item #2 - we did complete our new member election and held the special meeting on 13 February 2015
14:08:50 <russdeffner> #info On Item #3 - we just got the email list/google group set-up, and the ToR is on the agenda for today
14:09:50 <russdeffner> #info On Item #4 - Jaakko actually followed-up on this item and has a draft catalog going in google docs
14:11:09 <russdeffner> as guessed, this may just be me documenting stuff rather than an 'actual meeting', so moving on...
14:11:39 <russdeffner> #topic Group and Mailing List
14:12:24 <russdeffner> #info We now have a group and mailing list for the GWG, https://groups.google.com/a/hotosm.org/forum/?hl=en#!forum/governance
14:12:43 <russdeffner> it is currently 'public' so anyone should be able to join without assistance
14:13:16 <russdeffner> however, I'm not very well versed on the whole google group structure, so just let me know if you need help joining and I'll do my best
14:13:38 <russdeffner> #topic Switching to Google Docs for agenda/minutes
14:14:35 <russdeffner> As HOT is moving towards keeping all 'official/internal' documents in the new HOT Drive set-up I think this group should 'follow suit'
14:15:44 <russdeffner> #idea Suggest we move towards having a gdoc for agenda and minutes, linked from GWG wiki-page rather than having agenda/minutes on the wiki itself
14:16:03 <russdeffner> #topic Task from Voting Members
14:17:04 <russdeffner> #info At the 27 June 2015 meeting of the voting members, they resolved to refer 'new member election' process to the GWG
14:17:36 <russdeffner> the resolution actually requests us to draft these procedures by the first of October
14:18:18 <russdeffner> #idea Start a gdoc for working on the procedures asynchronously
14:18:40 <russdeffner> #topic Drafting Terms of Reference
14:19:18 <russdeffner> in continuation from the previous meeting, we still need to draft and adopt a ToR for the GWG
14:20:29 <russdeffner> #info Now that the GWG group/mailing list is set-up, I will ask people to join so we can keep the communication/work going between meetings
14:20:51 <russdeffner> #topic Next meeting/possible regular schedule
14:21:24 <russdeffner> as with the last item, I think we just need some time to get people onto the list and then we can really discuss scheduling the next meeting
14:21:38 <russdeffner> #info item tabled
14:21:56 <russdeffner> anyone here who has business for the governance working group?
14:22:38 <russdeffner> going twice...
14:22:40 <mkl> hi
14:23:07 <russdeffner> hi mkl, do you have something?
14:23:15 <mkl> yes
14:23:23 <russdeffner> great :)
14:24:17 <mkl> wanted to put on the table other topics for WG to cover. of course we'll have time to get more ideas and put together a working plan for the WG in the next meeting
14:25:00 <russdeffner> Ok, are these more ToR things, or specifics?
14:25:11 <mkl> there are other governance items to consider, particularly to promote stability and cohesiveness, which may mean some bylaws changes, etc
14:26:04 <mkl> suggestions have been staggered multi-year board terms, better structure around election campaigning and processes,
14:26:09 <mkl> etc
14:26:39 <russdeffner> yep, all things we need to work on
14:26:43 <mkl> can we specifically make an agenda item for the next meeting to bring out additional governance topics the WG wants to cover
14:27:26 <russdeffner> sure, anyone can add agenda items and usually we have an 'any other business' time at the end
14:28:41 <russdeffner> I will have these minutes and the next agenda up hopefully today, this weekend or worst-case early next week
14:30:08 <russdeffner> I would just clarify that although we don't have a ToR yet, the feedback I have recieved is this group shouldn't be talking about 'governing', but more 'policy and guidance' drafters...
14:31:09 <russdeffner> i.e. the Board or Members identify the problems, then refer specific asks to the GWG for drafting proposals
14:32:06 <russdeffner> anyway, look for a draft ToR in the near future; meantime we're all still trying to figure out how this works best, so all ideas are welcome
14:32:27 <russdeffner> one last call for any other business for the Governance WG meeting
14:33:35 <russdeffner> #endmeeting