Import/Catalogue/Japan KSJ2 Import/Administrative district 2014
- 1 KSJ2 administrative boundary Import 2014 Plan Outline
- 2 Goals
- 3 Schedule
- 4 Import Data
- 5 Data Preparation
- 6 Data Merge Workflow
- 7 QA
KSJ2 administrative boundary Import 2014 Plan Outline
Replacement of administrative boundary data on Japan. Target administrative levels are 4 - 8. (from Province to City/Town/Village, Suburb)
- Most of administrative boundaries in Japan are broken since ODbL reduction.
- Or some were not imported at all.
- Most of administrative level 5-8 polygon was not created. (only place Node is written)
- Old imported data contains too many redundant tags.
- Remaining boundary data is very old (data created at 2007).
- Remaining boundary data was not imported as Relation. And some boundary line data is missing, so could not fix Relation by manually.
- Remaining boundary data do not have structured as established tagging scheme.
So I think replacement is the best solution for this activity.
New data will be released at the end of May. (convention of every year)
So actual import action is started at the beginning of June.
Data source site: http://nlftp.mlit.go.jp/ksj/gml/datalist/KsjTmplt-N03.html
Data license: http://nlftp.mlit.go.jp/ksj/other/yakkan.html
Type of license (if applicable): Same as "CC BY". And the data could be aquired from "data.go.jp" as CC BY 2.1ja. Also, OSMFJ made inquiry to Japanese gevernment agent in 2012.
Link to permission (if required): http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue/Japan_KSJ2_Import
OSM attribution (if required): -
ODbL Compliance verified: yes
OSM Data Files
Sample data is here (converted to .osm format using ogr2osm script.)
This is One time import.
After import action is done, it is easy to modify even if some municipalities are consolidated.
Data Reduction & Simplification
|column_ref||Attribute in Japanese||Attribute in English||OSM Tagging|
|N03_001||都道府県名||name of province/prefecture||name=* for admin level 4 relation. (都道府県)|
|N03_002||支庁名||name of subprovince (for Hokkaido area only)||name=* for admin level 5 relation.|
|N03_003||郡政令都市||name of county (郡) / city (市. for some big cities. which has suburb area)|| name=* for admin level 6 relation. (county)|
name=* for admin level 7 relation. (city)
|N03_004||市区町村名||name of municipality (市町村) / suburb (区. for some big cities)|| name=* for admin level 7 relation.|
name=* for admin level 8 relation. (as suburb)
|N03_005||成立年月日||start date of the municipality||Do not use|
|N03_006||消滅年月日||end date of the municipality||Do not use|
|N03_007||行政区域コード||Reference number of the municipality.||Do not use|
Type of admin level
|4||province, prefecture (都道府県)||place=province|
|5||subprovince (振興局. Hokkaido area only)||place=subprovince|
|7||city(市), town(町), village(村)||place=city, place=town, place=village|
- Detail & Sample
Tags for Relation
samples are following
type = boundary boundary = administrative admin_level = [depends on each area] name = [Column from Shapefile] name:ja = [Column from Shapefile] name:en = [Translation of Column from Shapefile] name:ja_kana = [Hiragana writing of Japanese, from Column from Shapefile] name:ja_rm = [Roman writing of Japanese, from Column from Shapefile] source = KSJ2/N03
Tags for Way Object
boundary = administrative
source = KSJ2/N03 source_ref = http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue/Japan_KSJ2_Import/Administrative_district_2014
using ogr2osm & manual modification.
Data Transformation Results
Data Merge Workflow
Importing itself will be done by me (user:nyampire ).
Dedicated account is "KSJ2_adm_bnd_imprt".
Validating imported data will be done by me.
- Deleting old boundary would be dangerous, possibly cause the coastline. So validation is mandatory after the deletion.
- Existing place=* node would be added to the relation as member of "label" role.
Step by step instructions
- Convert the original shapefile to .osm format. Using ogr2osm script.
- Download old boundary Way (& Relation if any) with OverPassAPI.
- Delete old boundary Way objects. (Relations are remain)
- Import new Way data by JOSM. Chunk unit is each municipality.
- Integrate old & new Retations.
- When importing is done for one prefecture unit, extract those data using OverPassAPI.
- Stitch those ways where the ways are piled up. (if any)
- Go to next prefecture.
Changeset size policy
Upload per 1 municipality unit. Manually.
Revert using JOSM revert plugin.
See Workflow above.
JOSM validation to correct Relation structure.
OverPass API & Geofabric Japan Extract (with osmfilter) to extract data.