Isle of Man Mapping Party 2009
After meeting in the morning to go over the mapping process we went out to start recording any missing information to add to the map of Douglas, Isle of Man. As Douglas has almost all of the road network in place already, we had a great grid to start from, so we used the Walking Papers site to print out maps which people could use to draw in points of interest and note down their observations, without needing to use a GPS unit.
- 10:00am at Java Lounge upstairs on the corner of Duke Street, Douglas, Isle of Man
- 1:00pm at The British pub on the Quay for lunch
- 4:00pm back at Java Lounge to check out the progress for the day, and start mapping if people have laptops with them
What you should bring:
- a pen and a notepad
- some comfortable shoes
- a clipboard, if you have one
- a camera to record street information with ease (optional)
- a laptop (optional, to help enter the data after collecting it)
Things to note down when you're mapping:
- points of interest, e.g. pubs, cafes, hotels, museums - including name, street address and postcode if possible
- parks and leisure spaces
- transport, e.g. bus stops (and bus route numbers), car parks
- Manx street names
- anything else you'd like to see on maps
Other things we could do with improving if you have time:
- similar data in other towns and villages
Interested in coming along? Please list your name below:
(it was also great to introduce some new people to the project on the day)
If you can't attend the mapping party but would like to help out, please visit the Walking Papers site, print out a map of your local area and note down any information you'd like to add in. You can then scan it back in and map it through the site, or get in touch with me (Dan Karran) and I can sort out the scanning and/or addition of information.
For more information, please contact Dan Karran on 07736 314138 or email dan @ karran.net.