|A bicycle road is a road designated for bicycles.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A bicycle road is a road designated for bicycles. Any other vehicles are prohibited unless marked with an addition sign. These kind of roads get more and more common in Europe. So far, this page is about the situation in Germany.
A signed bicycle road is tagged with bicycle_road=yes. In Germany the following tags are implied but they are usually still tagged:
- vehicle=no (all vehicles are prohibited)
- bicycle=designated or bicycle=official (for bicycles designated, overrides above tag)
- maxspeed=30 (since the amendment of Nov 1st 2009, maxspeed is set to 30 km/h if not explicit signed differently)
- traffic_sign=DE:244.1 (official traffic sign)
Type of highway
Considering the tag highway=* it is not important if the road is a bicycle road or not. The value is rather determined by the state of development of the road and its importance in the traffic system:
- highway=residential for bicycle roads which do not differ much from other streets in the residential area, e.g. with wide asphalt lane(s) and sidewalks. An additional traffic sign "Anlieger frei" (access=destination) or "KFZ frei" (motor_vehicle=yes) is a good lead that highway=residential is the proper value.
- highway=cycleway or highway=path for roads which tend to look like a normal cycleway or path.
|motorcycle=yes||vehicle=no does still fit|
|motorcar=yes||vehicle=no does still fit|
|motor_vehicle=yes||Same meaning as "KFZ frei"|
- Fahrradstraße on Wikipedia
- Proposed_features/cycleroad - older proposal, trying to establish a new value for highway=*
- Proposed_features/Footway - information about footways on the left and right side of the road
- Proposed_features/Sidewalk - same as above but using sidewalk instead of footway