|The colour associated with the object|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
Use colour=* to indicate the official colour associated with the object, for example the colour typically associated with a public transportation route. It is also often used to describe the real colour of an object like amenity=bench.
How to map
The value should be:
(hex triplet), e.g. #FF0000 for red. This RGB code allows to describe about 16 millions distinct colors.
- A shorter RGB code with only 3 hex digits is also possible: it is equivalent to the 6-digit RGB codes where each individual digits (of the 3-digit code) are doubled (see examples in the table below). This short code (also standard in HTML and CSS) allows describing 4096 distinct colors.
- a CSS colour name (mostly English colour name) in lower case (generic names should be preferred for non-specific colours, e.g. red instead of firebrick), and without any dash separator (when using composite colour names in the "extended color set" in the CSS specification).
The following 16 "basic" colour names (standardized in CSS for use in HTML and SVG) are recommended for best support in various map renderers.
|Sample||RGB hex||Colour name||Sample||RGB hex||Colour name|
|#000000 (or #000)||black||#FFFFFF (or #FFF)||white|
|#808080||gray (or grey)||#C0C0C0||silver|
|#800000||maroon||#FF0000 (or #F00)||red|
|#808000||olive||#FFFF00 (or #FF0)||yellow|
|#008000||green||#00FF00 (or #0F0)||lime|
|#008080||teal||#00FFFF (or #0FF)||aqua|
|#000080||navy||#0000FF (or #00F)||blue|
|#800080||purple||#FF00FF (or #F0F)||fuchsia (or magenta)|
A more extensive list of colour keywords has been specified by the CSS Color Module Level 3, which is supported by all major internet browsers. However, please keep in mind that these will not be recognized by all renderers. Hex triplets as described above are preferred in this case.
Note: There is also an alternate spelling color=* in lesser use, see a comparison in Taginfo. "Color" is the alternative used in the American English spelling, however the community usually prefers to use the British spelling for consistency. This alternative name is listed in Deprecated features.
- Color names for CSS (used in HTML and SVG) (official W3.org recommendation)
- RGB color code calculator
- RGB Color Browser
- Color names
- HTML color names (alternate, not recommended)
- Extension for Google Chrome, which allows easily define colour from screen