|Tag representing Editor/Script which created/(edited) this item.|
|Group: Editor keys|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
- created_by=JOSM/1.5 (1788 de)
- created_by=Potlatch 1.2
- created_by=Merkaartor 0.13
- created_by=iD 1.1.4
Prior to version 0.6 of the API the created_by tag was applied to individual objects (nodes, ways and relations and even segments in earlier protocol versions). However, with the introduction of changesets to provide non-geographic "meta data" it makes more sense for the created_by tag to be recorded there. As of November 2012 many nodes, ways or relations still have a created_by tag, but these are slowly disappearing since this key is silently dropped by OSM editors like JOSM when objects get modified.
Guidance to users
- You should not edit this value to record your own name. Your user name will be recorded anyway (and in addition) automatically on upload.
- You should not remove the created_by tag on objects you are not otherwise modifying. If we wanted to remove them in bulk we'd do it some other way.
- You may remove the created_by tag on nodes/ways/relations that you are modifying in a changeset anyway. This is what JOSM, iD, Potlatch, Potlatch2 and other editors do automatically.
Guidance to software developers
The guidance to users plus:
- You should record a created_by tag on a changeset when saving changes
- The created_by tag may contain a revision number, version number or similar. This helps people track down problems if a version of your editor/script has a bug in it.
- Alternatively, potlatch2 splits information into created_by, version and build tags.
- You should not add or update the created_by tag on nodes/ways/relations.
- For translation QA : please add the 'language' version ( like: de,en,es,it,hu)