|Indication whether a feature provides drinking water|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
drinking_water=* indicates whether a feature provides drinking water, respectively whether water is drinkable for humans.
There are objects in the database, which can provide drinking water. To indicate this feature you can use this tag. For example a public toilet may provide drinking water. The same applies to wells or mountain huts. As such this is one of the few OSM tags that can indicate the _lack_ of a feature you might otherwise expect (for example the rare highway rest area that does not supply drinking water, or the rare mountain hut where you must carry water to). Where mapping is at a fine level of granularity, it is preferable to mark the individual water sources as amenity=drinking_water.
In other cases you can subtag an existing object (like a fountain) with the info that the water is drinkable.
How to map
drinking_water=* is used as additional tag for other elements.
|no|| There exists no drinking water.
The water is not drinkable. It is obvious that the water is soiled or contaminated or flows through a circulating pump.
In some countries a label "No drinking water" is not sufficient to tag no. It is possible that every source without official control gets this label, although the water is drinkable. You can tag additional drinking_water:legal=no.
|yes|| There exists drinking water.
The water is drinkable for humans. There must be objective reasons that allow you to conclude that the water is pure. E.g. in alpine territory the source can be above any civilization. One can assume that the water is pure when many people drink it every day.
There is no warranty for this tag. The circumstances can change every day. Everyone should use his common sense before drinking water from unknown sources.
|conditional||The water seems drinkable. You can drink it at your own risk.|
|boil||Only after boil|
- drinking_water:legal=yes - The water is checked and approved by public authorities.
- drinking_water:legal=no - There is a label "No drinking water".
Other useful generic tag:
Applies to (among other things)
- amenity=toilets - Public toilets
- amenity=shelter - Shelter
- tourism=wilderness_hut - A remote building with fireplace intended to provide shelter and sleeping accommodation.
- tourism=camp_site - Camping areas
- highway=rest_area - Place where drivers can leave the road to rest
- amenity=fountain - A fountain for cultural / decorational / recreational purposes.
- natural=spring - Water flowing out of the ground.
- man_made=water_well - A man made excavation in the ground to gain water from an aquifer.
- waterway=stream - A naturally-formed small waterway