|Indicates if an object offers internet access. The access can be with given computers or wlan access. The only limitation is that the internet access has to be public.|
|Used on these elements|
|Documented values: 1|
|Tools for this tag|
This tag is for indication that a map entity such as a building, a shop, restaurant, etc. offers internet access to the public, either as a paid service or even for free.
What should be tagged
This tag could be used for:
- Internet cafes
- Cafes, fast food restaurants with Wi-Fi
- Shops which offer internet as service
- Libraries which offer internet access
- Hotels, hostels or other accomodation with internet
- open spaces like squares or streets with public WLAN hotspots.
What should not be tagged
Every internet access which is only for members or private persons, and not offered to the general public. This includes your personal home DSL, LAN, WLAN, any internal networks of companies etc. Also internet access only for students (e.g. WLAN hotspots on the campus) should not be tagged, because this is not a public service and the people who have access rights already know about it. We know the internet is everywhere (or should be), but this tag's aim is to indicate locations where you can get online access just by paying some amount of money (or nothing), with no further efforts needed.
For discussion on wlan tagging, see Rejected features/WiFi Zone/Hotspot
Why not amenity?
Cafes with Internet access are primarily Cafes, libraries are primarily also not internet access providers. So there is the need for an extra tag which is not in conflict with the primary use.
- internet_access=wlan - a WLAN Hotspot, also know as wireless, wifi or Wi-Fi.
- internet_access=no - if no internet access is offered in a place where someone might expect it
- internet_access=yes - if there is public internet acces, but the particular kind is unknown (the much less used tag internet_access=public probably has the same meaning)
- internet_access=terminal - like internet cafe or library where the computer is given.
- internet_access=service - if you want to mention that there is personnel which helps you in case of problems. Should be used only in special cases like the LAN houses in brazil, where internet access is the only service (no cafe).
- internet_access=wired - a place where you can plug in your laptop with ethernet.
Fee and attributes
Whether a fee is charged for using Internet access can be specified with the established tag internet_access:fee=yes/no.
FON or Freifunk
The FON or Freifunk projects are a special case. Because most there is no primary usage of the fon provider. Tagging suggestion is: internet_access=wlan + internet_access:operator=FON or internet_access:operator=Freifunk.
- Original Proposal
Common Tagging Mistakes
wifi=* - If you know places with this tag, verify if it could be tagged with another tag. Automated edits are strongly discouraged unless you really know what you are doing!
This is an unvoted tag that is in widespread use. Please be careful if you change it.