|amenity = toilets|
|A publicly accessible toilet|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
How to tag
Place a node centrally at the location of the toilet amenities and tag it amenity=toilets. Alternatively draw an area over the toilet building, tag it building=yes and amenity=toilets. Then consider annotating with:
- toilets:disposal=flush toilets that move waste away from immediate area using a liquid (usually water).
- toilets:disposal=pitlatrine waste falls into a lined or unlined pit.
- toilets:disposal=chemical waste falls into a lined pit filled with a chemical.
- toilets:disposal=bucket waste drops into a container which is periodically removed by hand.
- toilets:disposal=dry toilet A device dehydrates waste into dry matter.
- toilets:position=* one or more of seated, squat, urinal (e.g. "seated;urinal" if the facility supports both use positions).
Toilets can have complex access rules. Those rules useful to toilets include:
- access=yes explicitly public and open to whoever walks up (a fee=* may still apply).
- access=permissive while nominally private, no visible attempt is made to restrict access, and casual use appears to be tolerated by the owners.
- access=customers while open to the public, the clear policy is to require a purchase prior to use. You may need a key or code to get in. Some people also use access=destination for this.
access=privateplease do not map private toilets using these tags.
Useful combinations include:
- drinking_water=yes/no if a drinking water source is immediately associated with (usually outside) the toilet. Note: if you have detailed tagging needs, it is cleaner to create a separate node as amenity=drinking_water.
- indoor=yes if the toilet entrance is indoors. Outdoor entrances are otherwise assumed.
- operator=* name of entity responsible for toilet (e.g. "City of X").
- supervised=yes/no/interval if the toilet is staffed. Note that a cleaner might expect a tip.
- diaper=yes/room/1 (2...) diaper changing tables or separated rooms
The male/female access details might be tagged simply for the overall amenity=toilets object:
It can be useful to map entrances or even areas of a toilet separately.
- entrance=yes would typically go on a node on each entrance
- female=yes/no and male=yes/no tags go on the same entrance nodes or even on an area within a building
- unisex=yes/no indicates an entrance/area which is available to all. These are sometimes called 'family toilets'.
Detail like this may be particularly useful for visually impaired users. Individual entrances/areas can also be individually mapped for wheelchair accessibility.
Toilets within places
Facilities such as shops and pubs often have toilets inside them for customers, and sometimes free for the public as part of a scheme (e.g. Richmond Council). On the usual tags of amenity=pub, building=yes, shop=* add the following tags and use the 'toilets' namespace.
- toilets=yes/no this refers to toilets accessible to the public
- toilets:wheelchair=yes/no/limited this refers to toilets accessible to a member of the public in a wheelchair
- toilets:access=* see above
Please do not use toilet=yes (singular). In general please do not map toilets that are inaccessible to the public. Many buildings have toilets inside for workers or owners, but mapping these could create needless conflict or unrealistic expectations. Use toilets=no for places you might expect to find a usable toilet (e.g. a railway station or trailhead) where no public toilets are made available.
Other proposed or emerging keys for toilet tagging
- access=key used if you must first ask for a key or token to access the facility.
- toilets:disposal=pitlatrine if it uses a pit latrine (ie a hole in the ground) to help identify an outhouse or privy. Supercedes the obsoleted Key:pitlatrine.
- man_made=septic_tank for a nearby septic tank. The toilet itself is likely a "flush" type.
- toilets:access=customers/public/permissive/ask for key
- toilets:paper_supplied=yes/no is wiping paper supplied? (Formerly "toilets:byop").
- toilets:changing_table=yes/no for units with diaper changing tables (DE: Wickeltisch). See also: diaper=yes/room/1 (2...)
- toilets:handwashing=yes/no are handwashing facilities provided?
- toilets:scheme=xxx name or URL of community toilet access scheme.
Possible Tagging Mistakesamenity=toilet - If you know places with this tag, verify if it could be tagged with another tag. Automated edits are strongly discouraged unless you really know what you are doing!