Lehigh Valley Mapping Party July 2010
|latitude: 40.626111, longitude: -75.375556|
|Browse Bethlehem map 40° 37′ 34″ N, 75° 22′ 32″ W|
|Use this template for your city|
Bethlehem is a city in Pennsylvania at latitude 40° 37′ 34″ North, longitude 75° 22′ 32″ West.
Mapping parties have been generally only in the big cities, New York, Philly, Baltimore, but nothing for medium or small sized cities. I believe the Bethlehem can buck that trend, just looking at the amount of mapping done in the Lehigh Valley proves that there are a good number of people here that love to map. So let's show everything that the Lehigh Valley has a great community for open source and mapping!
Mapping parties are events where anyone can come and participate in the OpenStreetMap project. OpenStreetMap is a free, open source map that can be contributed, edited and used by anyone anywhere. Mapping parties are social events where experienced and new mappers can meet to share and learn more about the project. The events are generally held in a public place, and allow time for discussion, mapping and editing. The event is open to all.
It's fun. It's free. You can help.
More about Mapping parties
- Saturday July 24th, 11am - 4pm and Sunday July 25th, 11am - 4pm
- Rock N' Joe Coffeehouse and Bistro
- 1 West Broad Street
- Bethlehem, PA 18018
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 215-839-6123
- Event schedule:
- More Mapping!
- If you own a GPS or laptop computer, please bring it along. If not, we should have GPS units to loan.
- Bicycle Mapping is a lot of fun, so bring a bicycle if you'd like!
- Weather: This event is rain or shine.
- RSVP: please let us know that you will join us by registering on here: http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/6008666/
Rock N' Joe Coffeehouse and Bistro Bethlehem
- 1 West Broad Street
- Bethlehem, PA 18018-5717
- (610) 882-3500
South Side Bethlehem is pretty well mapped, but there are still a lot of things that can be done in the area
- Bike Parking
- Adding stores (South Side is awesome, but Main Street has nothing labeled)
- Discuss Mapping and OpenStreetMap
Wikitravel has put together an excellent page about Bethlehem with a lot of good information: http://wikitravel.org/en/Bethlehem_(Pennsylvania)
The city is about 50 miles north of Philadelphia, 70 miles west of New York City, 70 miles south of Scranton, and 90 miles east of Harrisburg.
It's an easy drive on I-78 from the east or west, and on I-476 from Scranton / Philadelphia. If you're flying in, Allentown does have its own airport, Lehigh Valley International (ABE). You can usually find cheaper flights to Philadelphia or Newark, which are about an hour away by car. There is bus service to the Lehigh Valley from Philadelphia, New York, and Newark. There's a new casino in Bethlehem if you're inclined to gamble. Dorney Park isn't too far from Bethlehem.
- Lehigh Valley Ironpigs games, The Lehigh Valley's AAA baseball team will be playing the Norfolk Tide during this mapping party.
No during the party:
- Bethlehem's Musikfest celebration, will take place August 6-15
- Philadelphia Eagles Training Camp, will take place July 26 - August 18
Mapping Party Suggestions
Please feel free to suggest locations and goals for this mapping event as well as future events.