Maidstone Micro Mapping Party
Maidstone micro mapping party was a past event held on 8th/9th Nov 2008.
Maidstone is the largest town(?) in the south east England with poor mapping coverage. It is also the administrative centre of Kent. If many people are interested, the urban areas of Leybourne, West Malling and Snodland need doing too. There is no shortage of unmapped area!
It is being "organised" by TimSC.
Yumm Yumm's Deli Cafe, 2 Rose Lane, Maidstone Location
The group should be recognizable by the piles of maps and GPS receivers. Also, my profile now has a photo.
Suggestion: British Queen Pub, 7-8 Square Hill Road, Maidstone, Kent, ME15 7TJ Location- any other ideas?
Yumm Yumm's Deli Cafe, 2 Rose Lane, Maidstone Location. I notice they only open at 10am so I changed the meet time to 10:30.
Getting There and Things To Do
I seem to remember parking in Maidstone is a pain. Any local knowledge anyone?
See here: http://www.maidstone.gov.uk/community/transport__parking/parking_services/parking_in_maidstone.aspx --Gregoryw 18:55, 21 October 2008 (UTC)
From London, get the train from Victoria.
Leeds Castle, etc.
1 Countryside/Villages (Snodland)
5 Countryside/Small Town (West Malling) TomS I did most of this (as far west as Offham) with the exception of Leybourne Grange which I'll survey next time I'm in the area. Data mostly in now.
6 Urban --TimSC 21:15, 25 October 2008 (UTC)
9 Urban Gregoryw - Surveyed whole area with the exception of the nature reserve. Inputting complete.
10 Urban Gregoryw - Surveyed most of area (Missed a bit on the Northern end of the slice). Inputting complete.
11 Urban Gregoryw - Surveyed whole area with the exception of the full length of some bridleways (Too muddy). Inputting complete.
12 Countryside/Villages Gregoryw - Surveyed a small bit of this area, though not originally planned.
13 Countryside/Villages Gregoryw - Surveyed a small bit of this area, though not originally planned.
16 Urban --TimSC 21:15, 25 October 2008 (UTC)
17 Town Centre
19 Park land (Mote Park)
20 Urban Gregoryw - Didn't manage to get started here. I'll come back and survey this another time.
21 Countryside/Villages Gregoryw - Didn't manage to get started here. I'll come back and survey this another time.
23 Countryside/Villages --pray4mojo (If I can make it!)
Who Is Attending
Upcoming sign up page is here: http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/1310815
- --TimSC 18:46, 9 October 2008 (UTC) (Mob 07719 775716) I can only stay briefly at the pub meet.
- retselkim "I can probably attend one of the days (8th or 9th)"
- Pray4mojo "Maybe able to attend on the Saturday."
- user:nickb - Will try and make it on the Saturday
- user:TomS - I expect to be doing West Malling this day but not sure I'll be able to make the Maidstone pub meet
- user:danbuntu I'm newbie and would like to tag along with someone on Saturday to be shown the ropes
- Not a problem! Welcome to OSM! Assuming you're using a bicycle you can tag along with me. --Gregoryw 15:51, 30 October 2008 (UTC)
- user:Chrisgj198 I'm also a newbie and I'd like to learn. Unfortunately I don't yet have a logging GPS. Is there anything else I should bring?
- I've got a second GPS I can lend for the day. If you've got a digital camera, bring that. I find that it's by far the easiest way to note down street names, etc. --Gregoryw 12:38, 5 November 2008 (UTC)