This is a past event to map Medway on 8-9th December 2007.
Where and when
Cafe Verde on 32 Rochester High Street, ME1 1LD, 10am Saturday, 11am Sunday.
8-9th December 2007 (Saturday & Sunday).
What you need
- A GPS: recommended, but not essential. We will lend you one.
- Laptop/PDA: again recommended, but not essential. There are some mapping and tracking programs out there which can be used for generating GPX files and displaying maps.
- A camera: useful for mapping but also to have a nice souvenir
This schedule is just a proposal, feel free to modify or suggest changes.
Sustrans appear to show several cycle routes that need mapping.
Apart from two small sections (on NCR17 and NCR1), I've mapped all of the Sustrans routes here. So, it's essentially just local routes that need doing. --Gregoryw 12:54, 25 October 2007 (BST)
Cycle routes already mapped (by Gregoryw) are viewable here. --TimSC 10:15, 29 October 2007 (UTC) I've completed those sections of NCR17 and NCR1 now, whilst attempting to complete the NCN in Kent this weekend. --Gregoryw 10:21, 29 October 2007 (UTC)
- Youth Hostels, Kent - Trinity Foyer, 20 Church St, Maidstone, ME14 1LY - 01622 664446
- Youth Hostels Association, Capstone Rd, Gillingham, ME7 3JE - 01634 400788
- Connexions, 205-217 New Rd, Chatham, ME4 4QA - 01634 845936
If you are interested in attending to the mapping party, you can sign down here (this is an informal list, just to see who may be coming).
- --TimSC 21:24, 23 October 2007 (BST) Sun only. Planning to map area 4.
- --pray4mojo 23:20, 23 October 2007 (BST) Only Saturday...Section 5 pour moi (see talk)
- --Gregoryw 12:41, 25 October 2007 (BST) Sunday only. Planning to map area 3.
- --TomH 11:30, 6 November 2007 (UTC)
- Steve 17:49, 5 December 2007 (UTC)
- Sign here
Talk GB Mailing List or phone Steve on the day(s) at +447792794991
I am currently trying to get a location sorted out. The Medway campus of the university of Kent seemed like a good idea, and following some discussion on the mailing list I have made a few enquires. I am currently waiting from an answer from the room booking people. --pray4mojo 16:54, 19 October 2007 (BST)
It turns out the Uni is not the best location to host this event (discussed some time ago on Talk). We are then going to need to find a new location, anyone know a cafe etc... that has wireless in the area. Also anyone know any local pubs where we could meet up in the evening ;). --pray4mojo 13:01, 12 November 2007 (UTC)
Somewhere central would be good. I only know one or two pubs and I don't know if they do food or not - so basically I am open to suggestions. --TimSC 19:05, 13 November 2007 (UTC)
I just had a thought for an evening meeting pub if we want food and relative quiet. The Robin Hood is just outside Rochester in the country. It would take a bit of navigation to find but we are all tooled up with GPSs (lat 51.3381, lon 0.4877). An alternative is wetherspoons but it probably would be crowded on Saturday. There is one on Rochester high street but I have not been there in years. --TimSC 10:37, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
Has a meeting place for the beginning of each day been agreed? We obviously need to ensure that we're not surveying the same areas, to get the best results from out efforts. I can only make Sunday's event, so would definitely need to be aware of which areas have already been surveyed on Saturday. --Gregoryw 13:41, 3 December 2007 (UTC)
I will be attending saturday morning, but the some folks have organised a geocaching event nearby. I have never been to a geocaching event so I will be going there. That is at noon so plenty of time to do some mapping beforehand. I will grab section 5 as that is the nearest to the geocahing event. Not sure what I am going to do in the evening, I will have to wait to see what is going on geocaching wise. --pray4mojo 21:39, 3 December 2007 (UTC)