New Orleans Mapping Party - March 2009
Mapping parties are events where anyone can come and participate in the OpenStreetMap project. OpenStreetMap is a free, open source map that can be contributed, edited and used by anyone anywhere. Mapping parties are social events where experienced and new mappers can meet to share and learn more about the project. The events are generally held in a public place, and allow time for discussion, mapping and editing. The event is open to all.
It's fun. It's free. You can help.
More about Mapping parties
- When: Saturday March 7, 11am - 4pm
- Where: New Orleans Public Library, Mid-City Branch (330 N. Carrollton Avenue 70119)
- Who? YOU! That is, anyone who is already involved in OSM, or folks who are new to OSM and want to know more!
- Contact for more info:
|Matt Toups||matthew at cloudmade dot com||504-684-4OSM (4676)|
- Event schedule:
- 11:00am - meet and greet, play with maps, etc
- 11:30am - Introduction to OSM
- 11:00 am - 1:30pm/3pm: Mapping time (walking/biking/driving)
- 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm: Uploading and Editing Map Data with refreshments and discussion.
- If you own a GPS receiver or laptop computer, please bring it along. If not, we will have GPS units to loan.
- Weather: This event is rain or shine!
- RSVP: please let us know that you will join us at http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/1917489
- New Orleans Public Library, Mid-City Branch
- 330 N. Carrollton Avenue 70119
- library desk: (504) 483-7750
- Public Transit: Accessable via Streetcar #48 (Museum), or take #47 (Cemeteries) and get off at Carrollton and walk two blocks toward City Park. Or take #32 Leonidas. (To do: let's get these RTA routes into OSM!)
Generally, to add more points-of-interest to the city map as well as tackle areas that still need mapping.
Here are some ideas of goals for the mapping party:
Areas to map
- Area around Mid-City Library
- Canal Street region
- some areas with less attention: N.O. East, West Bank, Jefferson Parish, St. Bernard Parish, North Shore?
Routes to map
- Public Transit routes
- Bicycle routes for opencyclemap.org (see NOLACycle)
- Bike/pedestrian trail along Bayou St. John (ideally with GPS)
- paths and such through City Park
Points of interest
- Public Libraries
- Mail boxes and post offices
Please feel free to suggest locations and goals for this mapping event as well as future events. I have many ideas!
See New_Orleans#Map_Status for some starting points and examples of well-mapped areas.