New York, New York
|New York, New York|
|Latitude: 40.7555, Longitude: -73.9739|
|Browse New York map|
| External links:
|Use this template for your city|
New York is a city in New York at latitude 40° 45′ 20″ North, longitude 73° 58′ 26″ West.
|Local User Group|
|mailing list - archive|
|OSM NYC Meetup|
The NYC map looks great, but a closer examination reveals a lot of problems. One way streets are almost non existent, and this is a requirement for any kind of driving directions to be created based on map data. See below for some needed cleanup.
|One way Streets||10%|| We need to add the oneway=yes tag to all one way streets. Note if the arrows in a street are pointing the wrong way, you can either add oneway=-1 or you can actually reverse the arrows in JOSM under the Tools menu then add oneway=yes.
Below Houston Street is all checked.
|Subways||5%|| Add a node where a station is. Then add two tags:
for example name=Nostrand Avenue.
Also add the appropriate relation (in Potlatch, click on the 'chain' button above the plus sign).
See also New York City Subway.
|Streets with painted bike lanes||15%|| Perhaps we can get this data from the NYC DOT. Otherwise, add a new tag
View  to see the results.
|Greenways and Footways||50%|| Mark greenways, footways and pedestrian only places (ie Times Sq!)
|Manhattan Bridge||100%||Should be complete|
|Street classification||20%|| fix street tags, most of which are classified 'highway=residental' which does not distinguish between different types of streets.
Local truck routes have been marked as secondary or higher (except in Staten Island)
Many interested parties are following the progress in NYC's open data movement. To date, it is unclear whether the city data available on data.cityofnewyork.us is in fact "license free public data" that would be available for incremental import to OSM. NYC's data includes many planimetric files, including over 1M building footprints. Unfortunately, the building footprints file does not have address information associated with it, so is of limited value. Stay tuned. Liz, Serge, Alex are some of the people interested in this.
- Bike lanes and roads cleanup in conjunction with DoITT, an agency within the City of New York.
- The OSM NYC Meetup is where the local community organizes events. 141 members as of May 8, 2013. Join us!
Previous mapping parties
- Recent meetups since 2011, via the Meetup group (see above)
- Wiki-Conference NYC 2010 - OSM workshop / mini-mapping party at NYU, August 29, 2010
- 25 July 2009, at ReBar in Brooklyn, NY
- 24 May 2009, at Tete a Tete in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn
- 23 May 2009, at Zanny's Cafe in Manhattan Valley
- 18-19 April 2009, at ReBar, DUMBO, 147 Front St., Brooklyn.
- 21-22 February 2009, at Five Guys
- 28-29 June 2008, at Green Map Systems
- 20-21 September 2008, at Green Map Systems