Information appearing on openstreetmap.org, including the map renderings, underlying map data, and all information on this wiki, is released in accordance with the OpenStreetMap License. This includes a section on warranties and liability:
- 7.0 WARRANTIES AND DISCLAIMER
- 7.1 The Database is licensed by the Licensor “as is” and without any warranty of any kind, either express, implied, or arising by statute, custom, course of dealing, or trade usage. Licensor specifically disclaims any and all implied warranties or conditions of title, non-infringement, accuracy or completeness, the presence or absence of errors, fitness for a particular purpose, merchantability, or otherwise. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so this exclusion may not apply to You.
- 8.0 LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
- 8.1 Subject to any liability that may not be excluded or limited by law, the Licensor is not liable for, and expressly excludes, all liability for loss or damage however and whenever caused to anyone by any use under this License, whether by You or by anyone else, and whether caused by any fault on the part of the Licensor or not. This exclusion of liability includes, but is not limited to, any special, incidental, consequential, punitive, or exemplary damages such as loss of revenue, data, anticipated profits, and lost business. This exclusion applies even if the Licensor has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
- 8.2 If liability may not be excluded by law, it is limited to actual and direct financial loss to the extent it is caused by proved negligence on the part of the Licensor.
It is particularly important to realise that the maps might not be reliable. This should be fairly obvious at this stage since you can see areas which are entirely un-mapped. The maps are very much a work-in-progress. We are aiming to produce maps which can be relied upon, equally well, or better than other maps. The openly-editable wiki nature of this mapping system may help us towards this goal, however it may also mean that there will always be some inaccuracies. You should make your own judgement about the accuracy of our maps. Always use our maps in conjunction with your senses, official sources and your common sense.
The database includes information relating to flying, marine navigation, Whitewater sports and Winter sports which are dangerous at the best of times. You are strongly advised not to use OpenStreetMap as your primary or sole information source for these activities. Get a second map or guide if you are unsure about the presence of hazards, or other navigational aspects of these sports.
You should not use a GPS unit or carry out other distracting mapping activities if you are not sufficiently confident, or require full concentration while doing a sport or outdoor activity. As always, make sure you have all the necessary equipment and training, take all sensible precautions, and be aware of the risks. As stated above, we will not be held responsible.