OruxMaps is a map viewer. It can work in two modes: online with Google, Microsoft, Yandex,... maps, and offline, with calibrated maps for OruxMaps, or online maps which have been saved
It can display OpenStreetMap maps (raster tiles and vector maps from Mapsforge) and has tracking and waypoint recording features making it suitable for gathering data. It can use offline vector maps or display map tiles online or pre-downloaded from a variety of sources. OruxMaps can also use SRTM elevation data to display 3D views of maps.
On the Mapsforge project page there is plug-in for Osmosis that allows to compile vector maps from OSM data for offline usage. Meanwhile many vector maps are readily available for download and the use of online sources is discouraged.
To display our maps go to menu -> Maps -> 'To online maps' and select from the available maps e.g. :
- 'OpenStreetMap Mapnik' for the default maps seen on http://openstreetmap.org (the default osm Mapnik style)
- '4UMaps' Outdoor map for hiking, cycling and mountain biking http://4UMaps.eu
- 'OpenStreetMap Cyclemap' for cycle routes and terrain rendering as seen on OpenCycleMap.org
- 'OpenSeaMap' for a marine/sailing themed rendering (OpenSeaMap)
- 'CloudMade' for CloudMade's default OpenStreetMap rendering
Additionally you can also select 'Microsoft earth' which is the bing imagery which we can use to make maps from.
There are raster- and vector maps available, many of them free of charge.
Vector maps (.map) should be installed on the sd card in the folder /sdcard/oruxmaps/mapfiles. The vector maps now come with additional style files that should be also installed. You can also create subfolders to organize the maps. In the map dialog you can then go to offline maps and chose you map.
Vector maps designed for hiking and outdoor purposes are available at openandromaps.org.
Here a description how to add contourlines to the maps from OSM from the Oruxmap Forum
Alternatively you can use Mopac to convert the OSM Tiles to use them offline in OruxMaps. This is only useful for small maps.
Ready to go topographic maps for outdoor activities are available here 4UMaps Download Simply copy the files into the /oruxmaps/mapfiles folder on the sd card, and select offline map from the main menu.
- Tracks are stored in the internal database and can be exported to a .gpx file which can be uploaded to OSM.
- Track Recording sensibility can be set in the menu settings GPS with tree parameters:
- minimum time between GPS measurements. The higher, lower battery consumption.
- minimum distance between measurements.
- maximum precision to record the received position.
There are vector based CycleMaps avaiable at http://www.openandromaps.org