|Status:||Draft (under way)|
|Definition:||Used for classification of aeroway=aerodrome|
aeroway=aerodrome is used to tag just about anything that could be considered an airport, landing strip, aerodrome, airstrip, etc. These all fall very nicely within the ICAO definition for aerodrome: "A defined area on land or water (including any buildings, installations, and equipment) intended to be used either wholly or in part for the arrival, departure, and surface movement of aircraft."
This leaves us with the problem of differentiating between different types of aerodromes. They are very diverse in their size, use, and importance. Pilots may be interested in available landing facilities, passengers may be interested in the availability of flights, and town planners may be interested in the physical size and amount of traffic an airport has.
type=* still has some (historic) traction
public: 2349 multipolygon: 284 military: 281 civil: 232 private: 173 military/public: 68 public;military: 38 non-public: 37 destination_sign: 30 joint (civil and military): 25 civil / military: 22 joint: 13 public/military: 13 civilian: 10 public / military: 10 airstrip: 8
To make this list shorter, all the values that appeared less than 6 times were removed, and values that were different only because of some letter's case were "merged". This analysis was done on 2014-07-24.
It is proposed that type=* and aerodrome:type=* be replaced by aerodrome=*. This will clear up ambiguity, and also assist renderers and others in prioritising and determining the importance of an aerodrome.
See also the comparison of the keys aerodrome=* and aerodrome:type=*: http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/compare/aerodrome:type/aerodrome
- aerodrome=public for a public use airport (one that is available for use by the general public without a requirement for prior approval of the owner or operator) (public aerodrome provided with facilities to support aircraft operations and the embarking and disembarking of passengers and cargo);
- aerodrome=private for a private use airport (usually owned by a company and often offering specialized flying services that are not intended for humans transportation, such as agricultural operations)
- aerodrome=airsport: clubs where aircraft is used mostly for entertainment, and sometimes for informal teaching
- There are some airsport clubs that don't have their own aerodrome, and share a public one, so perhaps this could be marked with another key.
Tagging a military aerodrome
Tagging an international aerodrome
Currently there is a considerable number of aerodromes marked as aerodrome=international. They seem to represent a public use aerodrome that has regular flights to other countries.
However the tag doesn't guarantee the aerodrome is public, and users are encouraged to note this information using another tag. Example:
- international_flights=yes to indicate whether there are regular international flights (usually such an aerodrome will have physical facilities for dealing with customs and passport control, besides having those facilities operational).
- Perhaps another key could be created indicating the flight range of flights regularly arriving in the aerodrome. (flights_range=international/continental/domestic/regional)
We could also reuse tagging from railway stations - maybe not all of them have sense (I marked them with *), but it's good to not reinvent tagging for similar objects: