|amenity = fuel|
|A retail-type facility where motor vehicles can be refueled.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
The fuel tag is used to map a fuel station, also known as a filling station, petrol station, gas station and petrol garage. It is the retail-type facility where motor vehicles can be refueled. Fuel stations for watercraft, aircraft and rail vehicles are using different tags (see below).
How to Map
Add a node at the centre of the fuel station or create a way around the fueling area and add amenity=fuel to it.
Often the station is operated operator=* by one of the major brands brand=* and has a tenant tenant=*. If the station has a name of its own, that can be tagged too using name=*. Related tags such as Addresses, phone=* and website=* can also be added.
Different fuel types are tagged as mentioned at fuel=*
Payment and Discounts
Use payment=* to tag payment options. Tag discounts as fuel:discount=<discount programme> in combination with amenity=fuel if the fuel station accepts discount vouchers, eg shopper dockets or other loyality programmes.
Add the opening hours using the key opening_hours=*. There are not agreed upon tags for different levels of service, but both self_service=yes/no and full_service=yes/no and automated=yes/no have been used. Note that a gas station can be both self serve and full serve.
- The roof of petrol stations can be tagged with building=roof and layer=1.
- It is also a good idea to tag the ways leading to, through and away from the fuel station with highway=service, access=customers and if applicable oneway=yes. Use the maxheight=* tag indicate the maximum height for a vehicle that can access the fuel pumps under the roof. Alternatively the area around the fuel pumps may be tagged as area:highway=service and surface=*.
Note the rule One feature, one OSM element!
- Shop: Add a node with shop=convenience or shop=kiosk or tag the building related to the fuel station if there is a convenience shop or kiosk as part of the fueling area.
- Car Wash: Add an additional node amenity=car_wash if there is a car wash on site.
- Toilets: There may be toilets related to the fuel station. Map toilets as an additional node with amenity=toilets.
- Compressed air: Add a node for amenity=compressed_air
- Refill drinking water tank (caravans, buses etc): Add water_point=yes or add node for amenity=water_point to mark the location of this facility.
- Empty septic tank (caravans, buses etc): Add sanitary_dump_station=yes or add node for amenity=sanitary_dump_station to mark the exact place of facility.
Fuel station for watercraft, aircraft and rail vehicle
Fuel stations for other vehicle classes are should be tagged as