|tourism = hotel|
|Hotel - an establishment that provides paid lodging|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
Ais an establishment that provides paid lodging, usually on a short-term basis. Hotels often provide a number of additional guest services such as a restaurant, a swimming pool or childcare. Some hotels have conference services and meeting rooms and encourage groups to hold conventions and meetings at their location
How to map
There are multiple ways to map a hotel, for a given object use one of them.
- Draw an area for the campus of the hotel, comprising buildings and outdoor areas. Apply tourism=hotel.
- Draw the area(s) for the building(s) inside the campus, and tag them with building=* according to their typology.
- If there are no outdoor areas, both the tourism and the building tags are applied to the building.
- Draw further facilities, such as amenity=parking or leisure=swimming_pool within the campus.
- Draw an area of the hotel building. Apply tourism=hotel and building=* (for building intended as hotel during construction use building=hotel).
If unable to make detailed survey one may
- create a node at the centre of the area with tourism=hotel.
- if possible, draw the area(s) for the building(s) inside the campus, and tag them with building=* according to their typology.
- wheelchair=no/yes/number of rooms
- blind=no/yes/number of rooms
- breakfast=* - breakfast is served?
- Closed hotels, with traces of hotel remaining
- building=hotel for buildings constructed as hotels, even if used later for different purposes
In some countries (think Ecuador) it seems it's the hotel owner himself that assign stars. The rating tends to be rather high. Other hotels don't rate themselves at all, thinking it's not their job. How should we tag hotels if there is no official rating? I suggest we use the Hotelstars rating from the Wikipedia page (see stars=*). However, I've never seen the Superior flag in use, and there's no tag for it in openstreetmap. I suggest use the rating without the S flag.
There is a nice proposal that is able to deal with all kind of ratings (be it stars or diamonds or whatever) also in parallel: Proposed features/Awards and ratings. This system proposes award:hotelstars=* for the European Hotelstar system.
- tourism=hostel, cheap accommodation with shared bedrooms
- tourism=motel, short term accommodation, particularly for people traveling by car
Possible Tagging Mistakes