Proposed features/opening hours default PH off
|Evaluate as PH off by default unless PH is explicitly specified|
|Tagging:||opening_hours=Mo-Fr 08:00-16:00 open "OH value without 'PH' evaluated as 'value; PH off'"|
|Applies to:||database type - , ,|
|Definition:||Changes the opening_hours=* syntax from explicit PH off to implicit PH off.|
|Rendered as:||Not rendered on the map. Can be evaluated by software.|
It has been known practice that a value like opening_hours=Mo-Fr 08:00-16:00 applies for Monday till Friday from 08:00 till 16:00 and also if Monday is a public holiday. This applies for all objects like amenity=restaurant and tourism=hotel.
However this seems to cause some confusions among mappers because amenities often don’t explicitly state the opening hours for public holidays and in OSM, we map what we see. Thus this proposal was created to discuss if we should evaluate the given value implicitly with PH off e.g. opening_hours=Mo-Fr 08:00-16:00; PH off if no PH is specified in the value. Note that this change does only make sense for the opening_hours=* tag. Related Tags are not affected.
This change was proposed to make it easier for mappers to write correct opening_hours because the majority of objects are closed on public holidays.
Example & Description
Example values which are going to be evaluated differently with this proposal in effect:
- opening_hours=Mo-Fr 08:00-16:00 will be evaluated as opening_hours=Mo-Fr 08:00-16:00; PH off
- opening_hours=Mo-Fr 08:00-16:00; PH off will be evaluated exactly the same (no additional PH off is appended).
- opening_hours=Mo-Fr,PH 08:00-16:00 will be evaluated exactly the same (no PH off is appended).
- opening_hours=24/7 will be evaluated exactly the same (no PH off is appended).
- opening_hours= Fr,Sa 16:00-02:00, Su 14:00-23:00 will be evaluated as opening_hours=Fr,Sa 16:00-02:00, Su 14:00-23:00; PH off which leads to wrong results when PH is on a Saturday for example because the day wrap over midnight is not selected by "PH off". This can be fixed with opening_hours=Fr,Sa 16:00-02:00, Su 14:00-23:00; PH off; PH +1 day 00:00-02:00 off.
- opening_hours=PH off; Mo 14:00-18:00; Tu,We,Fr 10:00-18:00; 2015 Aug 1,Dec 25-26 off; 2015 Dec 24 12:00-24:00 off The first rule is a NOP (it changes nothing). This is needed to make PH explicit and avoid the implicitly added "PH off" when no PH is specified.
Supported by software
Note that this will require a API change for opening_hours.js and an adoption to the new API for every developer using opening_hours.js who wants to use the implicit PH off because currently the opening_hours.js library does not know for which tag it evaluates the opening_hours syntax except the mode.
Alternate tagging Suggestions?
opening_hours=Mo-Fr 08:00-16:00; PH off
Not started yet.
Please leave comments on the discussion page.