This list of iD’s shortcuts and their functions is made by observation and trying out. This is not an iD documentation which is made or supported by iD’s developers. ID’s own, official documentation is inside of iD itself.
iD needs to have the focus to be able to catch a key press. If you clicked on the browser/webpage outside of iD before, then iD will not have the focus. Click somewhere inside iD to focus (preferably an inactive area, e.g. the button bar on top) and then press the desired key.
Shortcuts in iD are language dependent (for example Vietnamese has different ones)!
- F11 (Linux, Windows), Ctrl+⌘ Cmd+F (Mac) – set your browser to full screen mode for more space (this less known generic browser shortcut varies by browser).
- ↓, ↑, ←, → (cursor keys) – pan map.
- ⇧ Shift+↓, ⇧ Shift+↑, ⇧ Shift+←, ⇧ Shift+→, Ctrl+↓, Ctrl+↑, Ctrl+←, Ctrl+→ (cursor keys) – pan map one screenful at a time.
- + – zoom in; Ctrl++ – zoom in a lot.
- - – zoom out; Ctrl+- – zoom out a lot.
- B – настройка подложки.
- Ctrl+B – switch between previous and current backgrounds.
- F – display map data options.
- W – toggle wireframe mode.
- H – show in-editor help/documentation.
- / – toggle minimap.
- Ctrl+I – toggle info/measurements box.
- Пробел – toggle radial menu.
- 1 – переключится в режим "добавление точки".
- 2 – переключится в режим "добавить линию".
- 3 – переключится в режим "добавления области".
- A – продолжить рисование от выделенной точки.
- ↵ Enter, Esc – stop drawing of a line or area.
- ⇧ Shift + mouse click – selection of multiple objects.
- ⇧ Shift + mouse clic + drag – select all nodes within a bounding box (rectangular selection).
- Ctrl+C – copy the selected object.
- [, Page Up – jump to previous vertex.
- ], Page Down – jump to next vertex.
- Ctrl+[, Home – jump to first vertex.
- Ctrl+], End – jump to last vertex.
- \, ↨ Pause (PC), F15 (Mac) – if a node at a line intersection is selected: Cycle through parent ways (currently selected parent is highlighted in light red). Currently only useful for vertex navigation: “turning” at intersections.
- Ctrl+V – paste a previously copied object; click to position the pasted object under the mouse cursor.
- Ctrl+⌦ Del, Ctrl+⌫ Backspace – delete currently selected object.
- Alt + mouse click – place node without connecting (“snapping”) to existing object (line and area draw mode). For Firefox use full screen mode (see below) in order to avoid nasty interference with toggling of Firefox menu by Alt.
- C – combines the selected objects (see selection of multiple objects for how to select). Their details (tags) will be combined too – values of tags with the same key but different values will be silently concatenated into a “;”-separated list, which may make no sense and requires manual correction.
Exact function depends on the type of the selected objects:
- A selection of several connected lines (each connection is represented by a shared node) → will be combined into one line. Line directions are silently inverted if needed (even in case of oneway-tagged lines). All lines’ tags will be moved to the combined line.
- A selection of an unconnected node and a line → the node’s tags will be copied to the line and the node will be deleted.
- A selection of two unconnected, closed lines (areas) → a new relation (type = multipolygon) will be created and (depending on the spacial arrangement):
- D – if shared node of several lines is selected: unjoins all associated lines (that multiplies the shared node). Optionally: Also select the lines which should be disconnected (see selection of multiple objects for how to select).
- M – move selected objects.
- O – arrange nodes as circle (only closed lines, that is: areas).
- R – rotate selected object.
- S – straighten the selected line (possibly removing unaligned intermediate nodes), or square the corners of the selected area or closed line.
- T – reflect the selected object across its long axis.
- V – reverse line direction (if line selected).
- X – split line (if node in line selected). If the node is shared by several lines, all these lines will be split at this node, unless you use the multiple objects selection to additionally select the line/lines which you want to split.
- Y – reflect the selected object across its short axis.
- Пробел – add a node (in “add line” or “add area” mode). Hold down while moving the cursor to draw a freeform line or area based on the path of the cursor.