Rotherham Mapping Party
Rotherham is a large town where only a small amount of mapping has so far been performed. The hope is that with reasonable attendance most of this area could be completed in a weekend.
Mapping parties are events where anyone can come and participate in the OpenStreetMap project. OpenStreetMap is a free, open source map that can be contributed, edited and used by anyone anywhere. Mapping parties are social events where experienced and new mappers can meet to share and learn more about the project. The events are generally held in a public place, and allow time for discussion, mapping and editing. The event is open to all.
It's fun. It's free. You can help.
More about Mapping parties
Main OSM wiki page: Rotherham
Wikipedia article: wikipedia:Rotherham
- When: Saturday August 15th and Sunday August 16th 2009 from 10am.
- Where: Prince of Wales Hotel
- Event schedule:
- Both Days
- Meeting 10am to 11am at the venue before heading out for the morning mapping session
- Lunch 1pm till 2pm (or stay out all day) then continue mapping until meeting up around 5pm
- Saturday Only
- Drinks and food after the end of the mapping (if enough people are interested)
- If you turn up and everyone is out mapping ask at the bar or ring the mobile number above and well sort something out
- Weather: This event is rain or shine but weather looks to be 'OK' for the weekend.
Function room of the Prince of Wales Hotel, Rotherham: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=53.43012&mlon=-1.37095&zoom=15
What You Need
- Laptop computer with wifi, if you have one. We can store it at the hotel while you are out mapping.
- GPS receiver with recording capability, e.g. Garmin Geko 201, Garmin Forerunner 305, NaviGPS.
- Pen/paper/pad for noting down features.
- A digital camera may be useful for noting down street names or complicated areas.
- If you don't have a GPS receiver we should have some available to borrow
Edit this and add your name (and any area you want to reserve from the cake below) if you can make it! If you need to borrow a GPS please add a note to that effect and we'll reserve one for you.
- Tom (bike and on foot). Have GT-31 but no laptop.
- JonS (on foot)
- Chippy on foot probably - Sorry cannot make it this time.
- RichardB, bike & car
The centre of Rotherham has been fairly thoroughly mapped by local user "Mot". Luckily there's loads more to do outside the town centre and the option of mapping additional POI / addresses within the already mapped area.
The area we should probably concentrate on initially is that between the M1 and the M18: what about -1.425,53.395,-1.25,53.48, with options on Catcliffe/Orgreave, Swinton, Conisbrough, Maltby/Hellaby and Thorpe Hesley if we end up with lots of attendees