Sheffield Mapping Party, October 2007
13th & 14th October. Kindly hosted by ShefLUG, Sheffield University and sponsored by the S. Yorks network of the IET
Sheffield (centre), before the mapping party
- 10a.m. Meet at University of Sheffield, Room E132, Sir Frederick Mappin Building, Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD.
for GPS units, project explanation, dividing up the city.
- 1:30pm Sandwiches and beer, tea coffee provided at the venue, upload GPS data
- 2:30pm Go out for more mapping
- 5:30pm Pub, Devonshire Cat - see also the Accommodation section below for info about the Hillsborough Hotel
- 7:00pm Meet at somewhere for a meal. For example the Wong Ting or the East Asian Sea Food
Restaurant at Matilda Street or the Sportsman at Crosspool. All of them nice places. See also... http://www.casanova-sheffield.co.uk/
- 11:00am Meet at University of Sheffield, Room E132, Sir Frederick Mappin Building, Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD. for GPS units, project explanation, dividing up the city
- 1:30pm Meet at pub (dev cat) to have some food, upload GPS data
- 2:30pm Go out for more mapping then home
Midland mainline, hourly services from London.
Virgin, 1 to 2 trains an hour in each direction from Scotland/Newcastle to Birmingham/Bournemouth/Bristol
Northern, Central and TransPennine trains from the surrounding area
The tram stops at the station. You get on any tram going in the direction of Church Street or Hillsborough and get off at West Street or the University of Sheffield stop. More information here - http://www.supertram.com/journeyplanner.html
It's just off the M1
Various people have expressed a view that they might want to find somewhere to stay or camp out in Derbyshire which is a short train or bus ride into Sheffield. Some more info....
The Hillsborough Hotel is an excellent place for a good night's sleep and a fantastic selection of real ale
54-58 Langsett Road, Hillsborough, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S6 2UB Telephone: 0114 232 2100 Costs about £35 to £50 per night. Other possibilities that might suit people are the youth hostels at Edale and Hathersage. The YHA is now like any other hotel chain. No work has to be done to stay in a hostel. Find the hostels at the YHA site.
or call 0870 770 5808 for Edale or 0870 770 5852 for Hathersage. To get to Sheffield from Hathersage you take the 271 bus or you walk a few yards to Hathersage station for a short ride on the train to Sheffield. On arriving at Sheffield Midland station you take the tram to the University of Sheffield. See tram info above for that. To get to Sheffield from Edale you take the train from Edale station. Both Edale and Hathersage are on the Manchester to Sheffield line. So, you go to Manchester or Sheffield and get the train to Edale or Hathersage. For a camp site at Edale see
Cooper's camp site ( or Cooper's Ranch as it's known locally) is near Edale station and next to the Nags Head pub. Good place to stay.
- Peter James - Saturday only
- User:Richard B - only Sunday - I don't currently have a GPS, so might need to borrow if coming.
- User:Chippy coming on saturday
- User:JonS Saturday only
Join the party list to help organise this and other parties.
Please hack the Sheffield Press Release and list places it should be sent to below...
- The Star - contacted firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Radio Hallam - contacted - email@example.com.
- Radio Sheffield - contacted firstname.lastname@example.org
- BBC Look North - sent some mail to them.
- Calendar; Yorkshire TV. Sent mail to email@example.com
/ art groups etc here
Local online groups to contact. Please add groups here and contact as appropriate.
RichardIbbo - www.sheflug.org.uk - who writes for IT magazines contacted the media people above and:
- British Orienteering Federation 
- The Yorkshire and Humberside Orienteering Association 
- South Yorkshire Orienteers 
- British Schools Orienteering Association 
- Fell Running Association 
- Dark Peak Fell Runners 
- Athletics Club 
- Sheffield Walking Group 
- Sheffield University Orienteering Club 
- Sheffield University Walking Club 
- Sheffield University High Peak Club 
- Sheffield University Cycling Club 
- Rutland Cycling Club - Sheffield 
- ShefLUG (Sheffield Linux User's Group) - [initial contact made http://www.meiring.org.uk/sheflug/mailarchive/2007/01/maillist.html]
- University of Sheffield Department of Engineering provided the Saturday venue - Mike Diprose.
- university(ies) geography dept - needs to be contacted
- university(ies) computer science dept - sent mail to - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Access Space open media lab (contacted by Dougald)