WikiProject Sierra Leone
|Sierra Leone, Africa|
|Latitude: 8.37, Longitude: -12|
|Browse Sierra Leone map|
| External links:
|Use this template for your city|
Sierra Leone is a country in Africa at latitude 8° 22′ 12″ North, longitude 12° 0′ 0″ West.
Map of Sierra Leone
Things that are done
- Freetown now has a very good map. Probably the most complete available from any source.
- The peninsular road is complete from GPS survey.
- All district and province administrative boundaries are now complete.
If you have a goal that you are working towards or one that you would like to see get done (and are maybe willing to get the ball rolling) then add it to the list here, create a section where it can be coordinated and tracked, and a way of measuring progress. And then get on with it :-)
- Freetown - Map the capital city based on the available Yahoo satelitte image
- English names (tagged as int_name for places and streets)
- Establish contact to local people who can support tagging of street names
- Get additional material for mapping such as additional satelitte images or GPX tracks from people who live in or travelled to Sierra Leone (if you have such files and don't want or know how to map it yourself, please send it to Waldrenner
Provinces and districts
Sierra Leone is divided into 4 provinces and 14 districts:
- Eastern Province - capital: Kenema
- Northern Province - capital: Makeni
- Southern Province - capital: Bo
- Western Area - capital: Freetown
Some of the major cities and towns are
- Freetown, Wikipedia (local), (8.48,-13.26, OSM, Notes, Compare, g, mq, bi, ve)
further links: List of cities in Sierra Leone in Wikipedia
- Waldrenner just set up this project and started some mapping
- Dave Stanley is a regular visitor and has added to Freetown and other areas.
- CroKimba is also a regular visitor and has added villages, roads and waterways in the Kambia, the Moyamba and the Bo District, has completed administrative boundaries of all districts and provinces, and has contributed to the Wiki page(s) of Sierra Leone a little bit. :)
- IndoFio has added villages, roads, and administrative boundaries primarily in southern and western Sierra Leone (Moyamba, Bonthe, Pujehun, and Port Loko districts).
- Sierra Leone in Wikipedia is a good starting point for additional information on the country itself
- VMap1 vector data from Mapability.com - data seems to be from 1996 and most WikiProjects refuse an upload of the VMAP data due to low accuracy. Could maybe serve as a starting point for offline mapping? No idea yet how to convert the data to OSM.