State Of The Map 2007/Organisation
There will be an IRC disussion session on IRC (irc://irc.oftc.net/#osm) at 20:00 GMT on 8th Febuary 2007, See Agenda below (please add stuff as appropriate).
Please volunteer for a responsibility at the next IRC meeting.
- Registration and Programme - Nickb
- Finance, budget, time line - 80n
- Exhibitors and Sponsors - SteveC
- Promotion and Press - Blackadder
- AV, Facilities - rjmunro
- Desk Management -
Final Week Check-list
List out the things that still need to be done and add you name if doing and when done. I know some of these are done but good as a final check to know who is taking what up to Manchester.
- Print programmes - Done (Nickb)
- Lanyards (80n)
- Badge holders (80n)
- Printed Name Badges (Plus spare blanks and marker pen)
- Conference bags (80n)
- Notebooks - Done (blackadder)
- T Shirts - Done (nickb) - SteveC bringing them up
- Direction posters - Printed - some being laminated (blackadder)
- Main A3 "sponsors" posters - at printers (blackadder)
- Blank registration forms (80n)
- Cash Tin (80n)
- Bottles of water for speakers/speakers room (any from caterers?) (Grant bringing 12x500ml bottles)
- wifi access codes (Martin/80n)
- Whiteboard markers (80n)
- Flipchart and paper (80n)
- Press packs
- Bluetak & tape (blackadder)
- Extension power cables
Things to do
Admin stuff on the day
- Desk Management - around 10 people will be needed to staff the desk from 8.30am to 9.30am. From then on, we'll need at least a couple of people on the desk all the time to do stuff like:
- Hand out thsirts
- Hand out name badges
- Answer questions
- Hand out press packs/info
- Selling merchandise - eg Tshirts, mugs, whatever (have your photo taken with steveC for £4.99?)
Other Stuff on the Day
- Conference chairing - someone to introduce the speakers etc - Nickb can do some of this as I'm not talking
- AV provision - Rjmunro is in charge of this
- Audio - providing mics for the speakers
- Making sure the audio works before sat morning
- WIFI - user:nickb - I reckon we don't bother with wifi. Perhaps have wired access for presenters?
- Photos - would be cool to have someone taking photos and uploading to Flikr/whatever
- White Board
Stuff that needs doing before the conference
- Name badges need printing for people who have signed up already and we'll need blank ones for walk ins
- Press info needs putting together
- Signs need making so people know where to go within the building
- Lunches needs organising
- Multimap will sponsor one day (prob sun as Sean will be there)
- Need to order in the lunch from somewhere - eg local sandwhich shop. Check if this is OK with the uni
- Someone else for the other day
- Dinner needs organising - buffet in a nearby restaurant that has a private room (100-150 ppl)? A BBQ could be good - but nowhere to hold it, might rain.
- Panel session on legal stuff needs arranging. Volunteers.
Site Visit on 20 June
- Check out accommodation options - Some details obtained
- Check out Audio/PA facilities (for Jon Oates) - Need to discuss with Jon / Jamie
- Roughly how large the room is (eg small seminar room, small lecture room, large auditorium etc) - 98 seater main lecture theatre. A larger one is available but there are other cons for it.
- What audio / PA equipment is there and will we have access to it (eg amplifier & speakers, mixer, stand-mounted microphones, wireless microphones etc). If not, do I need to bring PA equipment in addition to recording gear? It also depends on number of attendees. - Need to discuss if any PA equipment is needed. The lecture hall probably won't need amplification.
- Similar information about the breakout room(s) for parallel session - DONE
- Anything else you think relevant (eg location of equipment in relation to podium, is there a separate AV room/projection box, location of mains power sockets) - DONE
- Check out room layouts and facilities - DONE
- Check out catering options - Discuss further
- Check out dinner options - Curry Mile - Restaurant needs booking - Now DONE Blackadder 23:07, 5 July 2007 (BST)
- Select pub for pre-dinner drinks - DONE
--Olly 21:59, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
We are looking for sponsors to cover costs of the conference. If anyone has any ideas, add the names below. When we have a Conf site up, we'll contact them officially.
Other Friends of OSM
We need to tell people the conference is on!
- Guardian Free Our Data - detail sent to Charles Arthur 29-05-07 - by Steve8
- Blogs - 29-05-07 Steve8 sent email to bloggers: Ed Parsons , Schuyler Erle, Map Room, Dan Catt , allpointsblog, Ed Mac Gillavray , veryspatial, mapperz , and Dan Karran  (plus Nick B  and Richard F ) - linked if info appeared. Podcast recorded for link from veryspatial.com  on Jun 10.
- Event syndication sites:
-  UCL Geomatic Engineering Department
-  UCL Geography Department
-  Edinburgh University Geography Department
-  Leeds University Geography - Course Coordinator - email@example.com - Dr Andrew Evans
-  Sheffield University GIS - firstname.lastname@example.org
-  The Geodata institute, Uni Southampton - email@example.com
-  Kingston University GIS - Dr Andy Swan - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Standards Bodies and other organisations
-  The AGI
- OSGEO - email@example.com
- CartoSoc - firstname.lastname@example.org - contacted by Andy R, and again by Steve8 on 14-06-07
-  Public GeoData - Jo Walsh -email@example.com
- Hacker groups