State Of The Map 2009/Getting there
How to get to Amsterdam
The main international airport for The Netherlands is Schiphol Airport (AMS). From the airport it takes about 20 minutes to get to Amsterdam Central Station (EUR 4 for a one way ticket).
There's also a smaller airport at Eindhoven (EIN) from which it takes 1h30 to get to Amsterdam Central Station by train (EUR 17 for a one way ticket).
- FlyCheapo lists all routes to Amsterdam. Amongst them Easyjet, Transavia and Sky Europe.
- Ryanair has flights to Eindhoven from a number of European capitals.
From the US / Canada
KLM is the largest Dutch airline and flies to most major airports in the world but the tickets are expensive.
- From France: The Thalys from Paris runs to Amsterdam Central Station.
- From Germany: From different stations in Germany you can reach Amsterdam with the ICE from Frankfurt/Main-Cologne-Oberhausen or IC from Berlin-Hannover-Osnabrück.
- From Britain: Take the Eurostar to Brussels then change for the Thalys to Amsterdam. You can buy through tickets direct from Eurostar, however it is significantly cheaper to buy 2 separete tickets, one from Eurostar from London to Brussels and then another from Thalys from Brussels to Amsterdam. Cost is about £120. Youth fare (under 26) is a bit cheaper, and can be booked as a through ticket at the cheaper price from Eurostar.
- Also see sea.
- From Denmark: NS hispeed night train 68 euro for round trip (return). Departs ~18:50 arrives 10:30..
- From Sweden: Go to Denmark, take train there.
- From Britain:
- Stena Line operates ferries from Harwich to Hoek van Holland. From there on you are able to travel to Amsterdam Central Station within two hours (€16). Through "rail/sail" tickets are available and cheap.
- DFDS sail from Newcastle to IJmuiden port. About 30 mins train to Amsterdam. Overnight sailing, cabin is compulsory, prices are cheap if a few share, and you can take your bike.
Use openstreetmap bike routing , just click on the "From:" button and select your location.
Meet up on the way to Amsterdam
List your travel plans on this wiki page and see who you meet up with on the way to Amsterdam!
How to get to the Venue
SOTM09 will be hosted at CCC (http://www.ccc.amsterdam.nl/ web site in Dutch only) at Weesperstraat 113, which is here on the map. It is a brand new conference facility right in the middle of Amsterdam.
It's a longish walk from the central station, or take a tram/metro. See more transportation info on stateofthemap.org.
By subway (metro)
Exit at 'Weesperplein'. From there it's a 4 minute walk to the venue.
- Arriving at train station 'Amsterdam Central': Take metro line 51, 53 or 54.
- Arriving at train station 'Amsterdam Zuid WTC' or 'RAI': Take metro line 51 in the direction 'Amsterdam Central station'.
- It's a 2.2 km walk, about 30 minutes when arriving at train station 'Amsterdam Central'.