State Of The Map 2011/Bid
The call for venue bids is now closed and the venue has been chosen! This year's conference will be held in Denver! See State Of The Map 2011 for all the details.
Congratulations to the Denver team, and thanks to all the teams who put together bids for hosting the next conference.
We received five fantastic bids:
- State Of The Map 2011/Bid/Denver, Colorado, USA. (The winners)
- State Of The Map 2011/Bid/Vienna
- State Of The Map 2011/Bid/Addis_Ababa
- State Of The Map 2011/Bid/Havana, Cuba
- State Of The Map 2011/Bid/Tallinn, Estonia, Europe
Old bid organising details
To we asked teams submitting a hosting bid to supply at least the following information:
- Name of the group or individual applying
- Name, address and short description of the proposed conference venue
- A short impression how the State of the Map 2011 would look like
- Ideas for community-building activities
- Information about the city/region (transport, accommodation, etc).
- An estimate of the costs of the venue and catering
Please have your proposal ready by October 15th 2010.
In order to make a well-thought decision which bid to choose, the organizing committee has set up a list of criteria on which the proposals will be judged.
- Easy access by public transport (train, bus)
- Preferably within one hour travel of a major airport (also serviced by low-cost airlines)
- Availability of accommodation close to the venue
- Venue facilities (conference rooms, AV, WiFI, break out areas, right size)
- Cost of venue and catering
- How well the (local) organizing committee will cope with the organization
- Interestingness of the city
- Opportunities to promote OSM with commercial organisations within the region/country
Who should apply? Anyone or any group that wish to host the State of the Map 2011 can apply to the OSM Foundation to be considered as a conference host. You do not need to represent a whole nation – rival bids from the same nation are allowed, but we encourage co-operation between nearby groups.
Are the dates set? No, the date of SotM11 are not set yet. Since the AGM of the OSM Foundation will also be held during the conference, SotM11 should be held during July or August.
Is the conference format fixed? No, the format is not fixed. The first two conferences were a two day event during a weekend. The last two conferences had an extra day in the program with a focus on professional users. The 2011 conference does not necessarily need to have the same format. The prospective hosts may suggest alterations to the format.
Do we need to have a venue confirmed? No. You don’t need to have a venue confirmed. However, having a provisional “yes” will be an advantage.
What is the affiliation between the OSM Foundation and the State of the Map? The State of Map is the conference of the OSM Foundation. All finances, entry fees and sponsorship should be administered through the Foundation, but applicants are strongly encouraged to seek sponsorship and other support.
What size should the organizing committee be? The recommended size of the local organizing committee are 3 people to handle all issue regarding the venue, catering and other organizational issues that require local knowledge. The local team will be part of a bigger organizing team. So you're not on your own....
How many people can you expect? The last two conferences had about 280 sign-ups.