- Relation that contains other relations. Relations have initially been created to contain nodes, ways or areas and combinations thereof. Also referred to as a 'parent' in osmosis.
Nested relations as those hierarchic structures made of super- and sub-relations are also called, are virtually undocumented, rarely used but still there is an effort to process them.
- Routes, especially national and international cycling and hiking routes should be rendered by Waymarked Trails
- Routes, general? by the OSM_Route_Manager
- boundaries are used to build a hierarchy tree by Boundaries.pl
Examples of a super-relation is the Great Lakes which contains relations of each of its 5 lakes.
- Pros and cons of nested route relations: Relation:route#Creating_super-relations_for_routes
- Implementation: Super-Relation/Implementation