| amenity = library
|Used to mark a library.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
According to Wikipedia, “a library is a collection of sources, resources, and services, and the structure in which it is housed. It is organized for use and maintained by a public body, an institution, or a private individual.”. For OpenStreetmap only physical libraries as library buildings and/or as organizations are relevant. To uniquely identify libraries, the “International Standard Identifier for Libraries and Related Organisations (ISIL)” should be used with ref:isil=*.
Tags to use in combination
- ref:isil=* - reference the International Standard Identifier for Libraries and Related Organisations (ISIL)
- phone=*, fax=*, email=*
- level=* - for libraries on a specific floor of a building
- operator=* ??
Types of libraries
There are many different classification schemas to group libraries by types. Which system to use in OSM is still to be discussed.
- mark a library as open or closed to the public?
- mark a library as academic?
- link the library to the institution it belongs to (for instance a university?)
A special case are library busses, see ref:isil=* for a description.
Multiple buildings and branches
- Libraries can consist of multiple buildings and may have several branches. In this case the same ISIL is used for all buildings and branches. Maybe a relation can be used. Please document the best way to handle this (with example) if you know a good solution.
- A building can host multiple libraries. Please document the best way to handle this (with example) if you know a good solution.
- amenity=mobile_library - mobile libraries, library buses, bookmobiles.
- amenity=public_bookcase - a public bookcase. E.g. in old telephone booths.
- tourism=museum - a museum. Many museums have a library. Some museums can also be treated as a library with ISIL.
- shop=books - a bookstore or antiquarian bookshop
- shop=newsagent - a shop primarily selling newspapers, and magazines
- Article Library in Wikipedia at 8 December 2009.
Related terms: <study> <library>