|amenity = concert_hall|
|Hall designed for performances of live (usually classical) music.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: De facto|
|Tools for this tag|
Traditionally, on OSM, concert halls have mainly (but not exclusively) been mapped using amenity=theatre, which requires use of one or more additional tags such as theatre:genre=philharmonic or theatre:type=concert_hall. Such approaches are somewhat obscure and don't reflect that although both theatres & concert halls are used for live performances they are actually no closer as buildings and performance spaces than theatres are to cinemas.
Concert halls differ from theatres in a number of ways: open stage, no or very limited back stage area, significantly different acoustic design, no fly tower, orchestra pit, wings etc. Concert Halls may have a large organ built into their fabric, often with parts of the organ, including the console occupying a prominent position at the rear of the stage area. Equally the rear of the stage often rises in a series of tiers to accommodate sections of an orchestra and choral singers. In many cases, the Sydney Opera House Sydney Opera House being a good example, theatres and concert halls share backstage and front-of-house facilities in a single building.
Notable concert halls include: Tonhalle Tonhalle, Zurich; Musikverein Musikverein, Vienna; Royal Albert Hall the Royal Albert Hall, London; Holywell Music Room Holywell Music Room, Oxford w65237635 b j; Royal Festival Hall, London.
How to Map
Either add a node to the centre of the concert hall (building or space), or create a way. Tag the element with amenity=concert_hall. You can name it with name=*. If the concert hall is a dedicated building and it is mapped as a way, add building=public.
- building=* - useful to map the building itself
- theatre:genre=philharmonic - A theatre for orchestral performances
- theatre:genre=chamber_music - A theatre for soloist or small ensemble music performances
A number of alternative means of tagging concert halls include
- amenity=theatre often on its own, but better with theatre:genre=philharmonic
- amenity=music_venue a more generic tag, which also includes venues for other forms of music such as jazz, folk, pop, rock etc. This tag does not imply a dedicated space for music performance.