|amenity = monastery|
|An active monastery (function)|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
Monastery denotes the site of a monastery (or canonry, convent, comandry or hermitage), sometimes just a building, or a complex of buildings, that houses a room reserved for prayer (e.g. an oratory) as well as the domestic quarters and workplaces (including gardens) of monastics, whether monks or nuns, and whether living in community or alone (hermits).
How to map
Use that tag amenity=monastery on a closed way (area) drawn around the perimeter of the site (preferred), or on a node placed at the centrepoint of the site.
Tags to use in combination
Any tag you like, in particular consider to add these:
- name=* - the name of this feature
- operator=* - indicates the operator of name of the company operating this feature
- phone=* - phone number of this feature
- website=* - URL of this feature
- wikipedia=* - a link to Wikipedia's article about the feature
Monastics, mendicants or canons regular
- monastery:type=monastery to tag a place operated by a community of monastics
- monastery:type=convent to tag a place operated by a community of mendicants
- monastery:type=canonry a place operated by canons regular. not sure if this should be a subtype of monastery, maybe an attribute which can be combined with churches would be better.
- monastery:type=commandry to tag a place operated by Military order
- monastery:type=hermitage to tag a hermitage.
- monastery:type=clerks_regular to tag a place operated by clerks regulars Clerks Regular
Monks or nuns
If you want to be explicit about the gender of the community you can use these subtags:
- community:gender=male for a community of males
- community:gender=female for a community of females
- community:gender=mixed for monastery like communities with male and female members (i.e. the Chemin Neuf Community)