| highway = steps
|For flights of steps on footways.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: De facto|
|Tools for this tag|
For flights of steps on footways.
How to map
To map steps nothing else than a simple way () is required. Add the highway=steps tag to it.
Discussion whether the direction of the way should point up- or downhill is so far been inconclusive. It's possible to tag this explicitly using incline=up or incline=down. (A previously suggested alternative method has been to use direction=up or direction=down, which are equivalent to the incline tags. This method is less common and a "direction" key is used for several other purposes.)
Add a name=* if the steps have a special name.
tactile_paving=yes/(no)/incorrect if there is a paving on both ends of the steps that can be found with a blind person's stick.
- There is the possibility to tag staircases as a node, but the discussion is still on it. (For more please see the discussions tab above)
- Ramps that are part of a highway=steps can be described using the tags on Key:ramp
- Proposed features/Access Ramp is a proposal for tagging independent ramps
- Relations/Proposed/Area#area-steps for mapping area steps
- User:Marek kleciak/Stairs modelling some ideas regarding modeling more details
- Proposed features/Steps features for additional tags describing steps
Related terms: <steps> <stair> <staircase> <stairway>