|place = city|
|The largest urban settlement or settlements within the territory.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
How to Map
The following should ideally all be included for a city:
- name=*: for the name of the city in the primary language for the territory.
- population=*: for the population of the city or metropolitan area.
- wikipedia=*: Link to the Wikipedia article in the primary language for the city.
- wikidata=*: Link to the data set item in Wikidata for this city.
- capital=yes for the capital city of the country.
- Use name:fr=*, name:ar=* etc for the name of the city in other languages.
Smaller charter cities should normally be tagged using place=town to avoid these places being promoted too highly in gazetteer search results. By way of example, the charter city of Alameda in California (population 76,000) is tagged as a town, due to its proximity to the much larger and better known cities of San Francisco (populations 805,000) and Oakland (population 309,000).