|place = city|
|The largest urban settlement or settlements within the territory.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
Smaller charter cities should normally be tagged using place=town to avoid these places being promoted too highly in gazetteer search results. By way of example, the charter city of Alameda in California (population 76,000) is tagged as a town, due to its proximity to the much larger and better known cities of San Francisco (populations 805,000) and Oakland (population 309,000).
How to Map
The following should ideally all be included for a city:
- name=*: for the name of the city in the primary language for the territory.
- population=*: for the population of the city or metropolitan area.
- wikipedia=*: Link to the Wikipedia article in the primary language for the city.
- wikidata=*: Link to the data set item in Wikidata for this city.
- capital=yes for the capital city of the country.
- Use name:fr=*, name:ar=* etc for the name of the city in other languages.
Related terms: ‹ place › ‹ metropolis › ‹ center › ‹ city › ‹ capital › ‹ urban ›