|route = piste|
|Route of a piste (e.g. a snowshoe or a XC-Ski trail).|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A route relation with the subtype route=piste can be used to combine the way segments (for example roads, tracks, paths etc) that make up a piste used for down-hill skiing, snow-shoeing or XC-skiing. The exact type of this piste route is specified with piste:type=*.
Any particular way segment can be associated with zero, one or multiple relations of this type.
Longer pistes often consist of multiple different (snow covered) ways that have various types, surfaces and uses in summer time. In some cases, the same way is shared by multiple pistes. In almost all cases, every underlying way has a different name than the piste. A Relation:route can be used to combine all relevant ways into a continuous route for the piste.
There is already the tag route=ski, but its use is limited to pistes with piste:type=nordic/downhill. Of course routes of other piste types like snowshoe trails, sledding pistes, or ski tours could be tagged with separate new route tags, e.g. route=snowshoe, route=sled, and route=skitour. However the use of route=piste for all of them is simpler, more logical and consistent with the Piste Maps Proposal, which proposes to use the key piste:type=* for all of them.
Members of the Relation:route of a piste may have (among others) the following roles:
Tags in Relation:route
- type=route route relation
- route=piste route relation of subtype piste
- piste:type=* type of piste (downhill, nordic, sled, hike, snow_park etc.)
- name=* name of the piste (if it has one)
- ref=number reference code for the piste
- operator=* organisation that is responsible for the provision and maintenance of the route
- network=* name of the network of routes of which this one is part
- description=* brief additional information to assist someone intending to ski the route.
- distance=number - official length of the complete route
- colour=* - colour normally associated with the route when presented on a map
- symbol=piste markings - textual description
- osmc:symbol=* - machine readable description
- website=* - url of a website with additional (e.g. operator or actual snow conditions)
Tags for the associated ways
These tags (among others) are properties of the underlying ways (i.e. elements of the relation) and thus should be applied to the ways and not to the relation:
- ... see Piste_Maps for winter sports ways tagging
- - Snowshoe trail Col du Mollendruz - Châtel
- - Snowshoe trail Le Molard
- - Snowshoe trail Montbrion
- - Snowshoe trail and ski tour Gd St Bernard
- - Ski run Tscholaire
- - Road segment that is part of the piste routes of a snowshoe trail, a ski tour and a ski run
This relation scheme is used to show colors of XC ski pistes here: http://www.opensnowmap.org.