License and OSM attribution on customer pages
Lately there is several evidence, that CloudMade does not make sure that their customers attribute correctly. Like here ? http://rammstein.com/tickets/ And at whithehouse.gov. Can anybody at CloudMade comment this, please? --Lulu-Ann 11:55, 19 October 2010 (BST)
- First of all, I'm not working for CloudMade any more, so this isn't a response from an employee but...
- Well I think think they do OK. With their map embedding tools, particularly "web maps studio", they place attribution links by default, thereby making it very easy for customers to comply with the OSM attribution requirements. They also have a certain amount of information on their website about the attribution requirements. It's always been described on the FAQ for example. Those are things I would expect CloudMade to do, and sure enough they do it. They're certainly not doing anything to encourage web developers to not attribute.
- Obviously they make it easy for people to embed OpenStreetMap maps on their websites. They're also rendering and hosting the tiles, so not straining OpenStreetMap servers. This is all unquestionably a very positive thing for the project. Exactly what we'd like companies to do.
- CloudMade re-arranged some of their FAQ information recently, and I'm not sure it's an improvement really. Perhaps we can suggest ways CloudMade should be making the attribution requirement more clear to their customers. They should perhaps be explaining OpenStreetMap, and their relationship with it, better in general. It's worth making some positive suggestions in this area (Perhaps via their bug trackers. It's more likely to get noticed than messages placed here)
- -- Harry Wood 17:43, 19 October 2010 (BST)
- Hi all, I'm Pavel, a support engineer for CloudMade. Thanks for pointing this issue out. We take OSM attribution very seriously, as Harry points out we encourage our customers to always attribute OSM, we build attribution into our web and mobile SDKs and offer clear guidelines for user who want to use our services outside of our SDKs. Our approach is to make attribution as easy and understandable as possible. What we don't do is actively enforce attribution. We are of course happy to work with OSM-F and the OSM community to help educate our customers about attribution. Also we are always open for your suggestions and you can use our forum or e-mail to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org if you think that some things could be better - I welcome your feedback:-)
- -- Pavelss 15:24, 21 October 2010 (EST)
- Rammstein attribution has been fixed. -- Firefishy 13:32, 19 March 2011 (UTC)
How often is map at maps.cloudmade.com updated?
- I also would like to have some idea how often maps.cloudmade.com is updated. A general idea would be perfectly wonderful, or if there is no update schedule, a summary of updates made over the last year or two, or simply the information that there is no update schedule. Any information would be welcome. Thanks! --Douglas P Perkins 15:40, 26 August 2012 (BST)
Article requires substantial rework
Steve left Cloudmade long time ago, office in Stuttgart still in operation, ... => a lot of wrong information that requires rework!